Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As i doubt being predicted AAA for A2 or even getting AAA, anyone wanna give me their opinion on best universities FOR ARCHITECTURE that require you to have AAB?

ReputationRep:
    York is a decent university and also one which would not always expect 3 As from applicants for places that they advertise as requiring AAB

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is a good university, not sure what courses they do but they have a standard BBB offer if they want a student.

ReputationRep:
    LSE, King's, Warwick, Durham I like Bath, too, for the uni campus itself.

ReputationRep:
    LSE/Warwick/UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thanks for the super quick response, but I forgot to note out that this is AAB unis for architecture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    LSE, King's, Warwick, Durham I like Bath, too, for the uni campus itself.
    No offence,but has anyone seen what forum this is in?

It's very subjective OP. "Best" is personal.

But all unis that offer accredited architecture courses are monitored and virtually all offer great employment prospects so prestige shouldn't be a major factor. Course and location are more important, I'd say.

For a redbrick then Manchester (AAB)

For other top unis than Edinburgh?

For an respectable ex-poly then Northumbria (300 points) or Sheffield Hallam?

I'm assuming we're talking about architecture here and not surveying/planning etc?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is for ARCHITECTURE

ReputationRep:
    Good AAB unis; Exeter (no bias hehe), St Andrews, LSE, Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham, Imperial (some courses), King's, UCL, Durham ask for AAB in some courses and Manchester is starting to ask for an average of ABB/AAB.

Also it depends on the course you're applying to......ah just seen you're applying for Architecture.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops forgot Warwick and York from that list.

ReputationRep:
    manchester, la.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    warwick, york, exeter, bristol, UCL
    Architecture :mad:

Also why are people listing UCL, LSE, Durham etc as "AAB" unis when a significant number of their courses require AAA?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of Oxford Brookes and Manchester... any other good ones? preferably in UK or close

ReputationRep:
    Good grief... I honestly think that some posters (even mods) don't even bother reading the OP...

River85 has it right.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, Bath, Sheffield, Manchester, Strathclyde

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Je3y)
    I'm thinking of Oxford Brookes and Manchester... any other good ones? preferably in UK or close
    Oxford Brookes is supposedly one of the best places to do Architecture according to my mum's architect friend...

ReputationRep:
    So you have Cambridge, UCL, Newcastle, Sheffield and Cardiff ask for AAA (I'm guessing about UCL, actually). Some remaining redbricks such as Manchester as well as other unis like Brighton and Edinburgh at AAB or below and finally your leading ex-polys like Northumbria and Hallam for BBB or thereabouts.

Would you be looking at trying to get a balance from these three or four groups? Even if its just the one ex-poly as a back up?

Also what are your subjects, OP? I take it you have, or are going to do, a portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    i agree with river85 that "best" is a bit subjective, so... look at the list on this wiki of the accredited courses with requirements under AAA then ask questions on tsr about the specific uni's/course as thats how you're most likely going to yield a worthwhile result. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...tecture_Degree

but just to contribute something to this conversation, i think the best three which don't ask for AAA are Oxford Brookes, Edinburgh and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Je3y)
    Well which are AAA?. Newcastle, Cardiff, Cambridge, Sheffield and possibly UCL. Anymore?

Bath are AAA/AAB so on the boundary.

Most below that will do the job as well so it's up to you to decide whether they are "good" for you. RIBA must have confidence in the competence of unis they accredit courses at and employment prospects are generally the same across a range of unis. (I think it's just Wolverhampton I've heard dodgy things about).

But for what it's worth I've heard Lincoln have been investing a lot in facilties and Brighton has a reasonable reputation (as well as being a vibrant area). Just have a look around. There are plenty. Try and keep a range though.

(Original post by lucho22)
    Oxford Brookes is supposedly one of the best places to do Architecture according to my mum's architect friend...
    Sure, and I'm not criticising Brookes but that's just personal opinion. They'll be no unis as far as I'm aware that will teach architecture "poorly" or have inadequate faciltities. Brookes may be a great uni for some people but not others. Same for any other uni. Some will just be more suited to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketTown)
    i agree with river85 that "best" is a bit subjective, so... look at the list on this wiki of the accredited courses with requirements under AAA then ask questions on tsr about the specific uni's/course as thats how you're most likely going to yield a worthwhile result. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...tecture_Degree
    Ah, the wiki, good point. Great resource.

Still try and cross reference with the unis but it's good for a glimpse and general impression of non AAA unis. If UCL's requirements are true there then I was wrong Still expect the average student to have slightly above that, even if the offer is only "ABBe"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 5, 2008

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.