Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah this year i think the offers were normally ABB + a pass at AS in a forth subject, but they have their own admissions procedures e.g - interview, portfolio task, second personal statement etc and like you said they may well have it in the back of their minds that they really want higher, who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm architectures tricky because it depends on what sort of architect you want to end up being. They roughly fall into two categories, the ones that run more artsys design orientated courses and those that run more technical course (obviously all have to included aspects of both, but they tend to sway towards putting more emphasis on one rather than the other.)
    This changes things because if you want to go to a good architecture school that is design orientated then your portfolio will be at the very least AS important as your A levels. Two unis i would suggest would be GSA (glasgow school of art) or the Bartlett (ucl).
    On the other hand courses run by people like Bristol or Cardiff are going to be more concerned with your A levels and may not even ask for a portfolio, just some evidence of artistic ability, either in your A level choices or a small project.

p.s seems a lot of people are naming unis that don't run architecture courses....

ReputationRep:
    cardiff and glasgow are very similar in course content. you will definitely be asked for a portfolio if you apply to cardiff and the offer is now AAA. Bristol - do you mean UWE? I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Brookes would be my choice if I was looking for AAB offer places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reviresco)
    On the other hand courses run by people like Bristol or Cardiff are going to be more concerned with your A levels and may not even ask for a portfolio, just some evidence of artistic ability, either in your A level choices or a small project.
    Are you sure you are unlikely to be asked for a portfolio at Cardiff? I would have thought you almost certainly would. I may be wrong.

(Original post by reviresco)
    seems a lot of people are naming unis that don't run architecture courses....
    Because many thought the OP was asking for AAB unis generally, whatever they are :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Are you sure you are unlikely to be asked for a portfolio at Cardiff? I would have thought you almost certainly would. I may be wrong.
    you're not.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i said "may not", for instance Manchester only asked me for a small artistic submission so they could check i had creative ability, where as GSA required a fully fledged portfolio which i had to take and discuss at length in interview. I was trying to point out that A levels aren't necessarily the only deciding factor, if the uni requires a portfolio and it impresses them then there gonna want you anyway, and may be more lenient on your A level results. And for the record, AAB i would say UCL without doubt, the Bartlett is incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Architecture :mad:

Also why are people listing UCL, LSE, Durham etc as "AAB" unis when a significant number of their courses require AAA?
    No one saw the architecture bit, she didn't edit it in until almost 13 hours ago. It was late and no one looked at the forum it was in :p:

Durham is an AAB uni - it has many more AAB and below courses than AAA.

Only AAA courses are English, History, Maths, Physics, Law and combinations of them. (I think that's all, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)

Only AAA courses are English, History, Maths, Physics, Law and combinations of them. (I think that's all, anyway).
    Philosophy, politics, geography, medicine, economics, natural sciences, combined honours (boths arts and social sciences) :p:

I didn't mean to sound harsh, just people should be careful and check the forum. Especially as I would think few people would ask for an "AAB" university generally speaking.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff still made some AAB offers this year... and to whoever said Bath sometimes offer AAB - I've never heard of that, and the guy at the post-offer open day said something about us all having to get AAA (or something along the lines of that.)

ReputationRep:
    No one saw the architecture bit, she didn't edit it in until almost 13 hours ago. It was late and no one looked at the forum it was in :p:

Durham is an AAB uni - it has many more AAB and below courses than AAA.

Durhams AAA courses are: Combined Arts, Combined Sciences, History, Geography, Economics, English, Law, Medicine, Natural Sciences and Philosophy. Not maths or physics. Most other courses are AAB however, and these are only one or two requiring BBB or below.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    Durhams AAA courses are: Combined Arts, Combined Sciences, History, Geography, Economics, English, Law, Medicine, Natural Sciences and Philosophy. Not maths or physics. Most other courses are AAB however, and these are only one or two requiring BBB or below.
    Politics? I'm suprised Theology isn't (always assumed it was).

(Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    Cardiff still made some AAB offers this year.
    I suppose they would for a student with an exceptional portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    Cardiff still made some AAB offers this year...
    hmm is it likely that they will do the same this year? does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    LSE does not offer architecture. Sigh, if people could read properly!

ReputationRep:
    Politics? I'm suprised Theology isn't (always assumed it was).
    No, theology is AAB. and By the way, I was wrong about phyics; that is also AAA. From the prospectus, I would say that just under half the courses do require AAA, so it in an AAA/AAB uni lol.. stuck in limbo.

ReputationRep:
    No, theology is AAB. and By the way, I was wrong about phyics; that is also AAA. From the prospectus, I would say that just under half the courses do require AAA, so it in an AAA/AAB uni lol.. stuck in limbo.
    Yeah, I know theology's only AAB but I just recently found that out. Seems odd that they can ask for AAA in politics but only ask AAB for theology (something they are more traditionally known for). Still, that's uni offers for you. I'd imagine politics is more oversubscribed but I may be wrong in that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know theology's only AAB but I just recently found that out. Seems odd that they can ask for AAA in politics but only ask AAB for theology (something they are more traditionally known for). Still, that's uni offers for you. I'd imagine politics is more oversubscribed but I may be wrong in that.
    well i would agree that they have more applicants for politics, and so lower theology by a grade to increase it's applications. That would be my guess anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy, politics, geography, medicine, economics, natural sciences, combined honours (boths arts and social sciences) :p:

I didn't mean to sound harsh, just people should be careful and check the forum. Especially as I would think few people would ask for an "AAB" university generally speaking.
    Oooooh, have they put up their requirements this year? :p: Sorry, I'm going by 2008 entry, ha ha, in which some courses are now AAA which were AAB.

ReputationRep:
    hmm is it likely that they will do the same this year? does anyone know?
    i guess its possible. the first year admissions tutor told me last year that the offer was now AAA, so clearly if people are getting AAB offers in 2008 there must remain some leeway. From what I can glean from speaking to staff, the portfolio has become a very important factor now, and I think this is something which will only become more important. Cardiff has a very strong and thorough teaching approach, but equally it wants to make sure it is getting sufficient fine arts style students is as they will help raise standards across the board. You can always give them a call and find out how hard and fast they are on the AAA position these days.

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh, have they put up their requirements this year? :p: Sorry, I'm going by 2008 entry, ha ha, in which some courses are now AAA which were AAB.
    Combined honours, medicine (obviously) and geography have been AAA for years. Well, I don't think they have a set offer for geography as such but AAA is the usual offer. Politics has been AAA for a few years also. I don't know how long the others have been AAA. But some did only increase last year. Philosophy went from ABB to AAA overnight :eek: .

ReputationRep:
    Combined honours, medicine (obviously) and geography have been AAA for years. Well, I don't think they have a set offer for geography as such but AAA is the usual offer. Politics has been AAA for a few years also. I don't know how long the others have been AAA. But some did only increase last year. Philosophy went from ABB to AAA overnight :eek: .
    I got an offer for combined honours in Arts, and it was AAB.

ABB - AAA :ee:? Big shock for people who might have been thinking about applying this year! :woo:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 5, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.