Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Rightio I'm posting on behalf of the boy - he's off to one of the Queen's garden parties on Tuesday and he's just sent me some pictures of what he's wearing and he looks lurvely but I was just wondering how high up a tie pin/clip thingy is supposed to go? Because he's not actually going to be eating, he just doesn't like it getting in his way. I googled it but got a fat lot of help So any help would be welcome

This is how he's wearing it at the moment:
    Name:  matt.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  45.2 KB

Is that too high? Thanks and rep for any help

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, he looks positively dashing. Maybe without the jacket it could lok too high, but not hugely.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a tie pin for work, so that my tie doesn't dip into any food (I'm a silver service waiter), and I wear mine fairly low, so that the majority of the tie can't dip at all. Where I wear mine is about half an inch above the top of the triangle at the bottom of the tie. If he's wearing a jacket all the time (buttoned up), then he doesn't need to bother with a pin, because the jacket will keep the tie out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys I didn't think he needed it at all but it's his RNLI one and he likes people to know he's on the crew :p:

ReputationRep:
    My dad and grandmother are going to the garden party on Tuesday too.

Anyway, it's very understandable why he would want to show off his tie-pin, but it does look a little too much like he wants people to see it, as it seems too high.

ReputationRep:
    it's a little too high, a touch lower = good. also, tell him to tie his tie a bit better. y'know, the little things. a little dimple should be seen under the knot.

ReputationRep:
    Like this:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that the height mattered? :confused:

Also, what is the purpose of a tie pin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    In his case - to stop his tie diving into his food :p: Generally it's just to keep it in place

If I was there I'd tie it properly for him, however I'm not so he'll just have to figure it out for himself, bless him :p:

ReputationRep:
    Also it's good for windy condtions...

(Original post by Tufts)
    Put a tie on and then lean forwards

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.