Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever played anything like 3 card monte, games involving cards or following balls in cups around on the streets or anywhere for money? How much did you lose?

And what about bets with strangers in bars? With seemingly impossible things being done?

Your experiences would be very helpful.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not one that I've personally done but...

"Can you down a pint in 30 seconds?

When they do it in less than 30 seconds, point out that the bet was that they do it in 30 seconds (or if they don't do it under 30 seconds, take the money anyways)"

Me and my mates are always making bets about pointless things :P None of them usually pay up though!

ReputationRep:
    My dad always does those stupid things on 'the real hustle' from BBC three. He has cheap nights out all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by originalname)
    Not one that I've personally done but...

"Can you down a pint in 30 seconds?

When they do it in less than 30 seconds, point out that the bet was that they do it in 30 seconds (or if they don't do it under 30 seconds, take the money anyways)"

Me and my mates are always making bets about pointless things :P None of them usually pay up though!
    One very light hearted one involving beer was that "I bet I can drink your pint and mine in 10 seconds or I give you a quid."

Down thier pint, then enjoy yours. Pay them the quid, they'll be chuffed until they realise you just got a pint for a pound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misswilliams)
    My dad always does those stupid things on 'the real hustle' from BBC three. He has cheap nights out all the time
    That is what I have always wondered about that show, it is showing people how to con others

ReputationRep:
    Cee-lo on the street corner using Monopoly money. We're cool.

I wish I had the bottle to try that .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    That is what I have always wondered about that show, it is showing people how to con others
    It has to show how they work so you don't get ripped off.

Plus, all the really lucrative activities like the shell game and monte are not explained fully. Both of which I do know how they work, currently I am just perfecting a few little variations. What you can do with knowledge is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    It has to show how they work so you don't get ripped off.

Plus, all the really lucrative activities like the shell game and monte are not explained fully. Both of which I do know how they work, currently I am just perfecting a few little variations. What you can do with knowledge is amazing.
    So true, yeah

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he doesn't do the major ones haha! He does the little ones that you can do in the pub, grabs all his golfing buddies and makes 5 pints easy :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he doesn't do the major ones haha! He does the little ones that you can do in the pub, grabs all his golfing buddies and makes 5 pints easy :p:
    Yeah the easy ones others can do but anyway it is a good show though, I am not dissing it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the easy ones others can do but anyway it is a good show though, I am not dissing it

The real hustle is one of the few programs I have seen almost every episode of, it's excellent entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    After a few drinks in a bar, me and my mate sometimes gamble at least 5-10 pounds each round playing Rock, Paper & Scissors with random strangers as it's all good fun and everyone enjoys themseleves.

I also once played Backgammon with a man on the street whilst on holiday which was quite fun although i lost my 25 pound stake.

And because i've been brought up on card games i always enjoy playing Chinese Poker for as much as a 2 pound-per-point as i consider it a game of mere luck.

Another game i enjoy playing with my mate in the bars are putting money on guessing a girls age and whoever gets closest wins. Of course we don't ask her to tell us as that would be rude but we right it on a paper and she'll tell us whose closest and she'll get a drink so everyone's happy.

Another is asking a complete stranger if you could have a bite of their food or drink and if they say 'yes', you win the money and if they say 'no' you loose your dignity. LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOBO777)
    After a few drinks in a bar, me and my mate sometimes gamble at least 5-10 pounds each round playing Rock, Paper & Scissors with random strangers as it's all good fun and everyone enjoys themseleves.

I also once played Backgammon with a man on the street whilst on holiday which was quite fun although i lost my 25 pound stake.

And because i've been brought up on card games i always enjoy playing Chinese Poker for as much as a 2 pound-per-point as i consider it a game of mere luck.

Another game i enjoy playing with my mate in the bars are putting money on guessing a girls age and whoever gets closest wins. Of course we don't ask her to tell us as that would be rude but we right it on a paper and she'll tell us whose closest and she'll get a drink so everyone's happy.

Another is asking a complete stranger if you could have a bite of their food or drink and if they say 'yes', you win the money and if they say 'no' you loose your dignity. LOL
    Do you get much success with asking the strangers for thier food?

And how did you get involved with the guy playing backgammon, who introduced the idea of playing for money?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever played anything like 3 card monte, games involving cards or following balls in cups around on the streets or anywhere for money? How much did you lose?

And what about bets with strangers in bars? With seemingly impossible things being done?

Your experiences would be very helpful.

Thanks
    Yeah, this guy tried to hustle me. Thought he was a real smart ass. Told me he was making money, I was sure to lose out. I wanted in.
    So I stumped up the dough, intrigued, and the ******* ran off. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I remember the one where you have 2 coing balancing on a shot glass and you have to flip them down and hold the glass through the coins to do the shot.

Me and a friend tried that one night having drank a bottle of amaretto. The other bottle ended up soaked into the carpet

ReputationRep:
    Do you get much success with asking the strangers for thier food?

And how did you get involved with the guy playing backgammon, who introduced the idea of playing for money?
    When you ask a stranger for a bite of their food i often find they will most often or not say no but depending on their personality there were some that said yes. If you ask a guy, when he say's no you take his word!

When i was on holiday in Berlin there were quite a few people playing backgammon in the park for money, and i've played a bit before so i asked one of the players if i could play, they said yes but only on a condition that we both put down 25 euro's and the winner takes 50 euro's. It was a close and exciting game but he won, probably because he was so good mathmatically.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.