lou88811
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have to pick which a levels to do but I’m really struggling deciding which 3 subjects i should do. I’ve narrowed it down to history, sociology, psychology or english but I don’t know which combination will be best.People tell me sociology and psychology are ‘soft’ subjects however I think it will be too difficult to do both English and history and then either psychology or sociology I’m quite confident I want to do psychology but I’m really struggling choosing which 2 I should take from my remaining 3 options If anyone has advice or can help me in which ones to choose that would be great!
spicedapples
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in the same boat as you rn. What careers are you looking at?
lou88811
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by spicedapples)
I'm in the same boat as you rn. What careers are you looking at?
I’m not really completely sure, that’s why some people tell me to take both English and history because it gives me more options career wise, but I’m looking at maybe doing law or psychology at university. However I don’t think English will be mandatory for these career paths and so I don’t want the extra stress for no reason
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lou88811)
I’m not really completely sure, that’s why some people tell me to take both English and history because it gives me more options career wise, but I’m looking at maybe doing law or psychology at university. However I don’t think English will be mandatory for these career paths and so I don’t want the extra stress for no reason
I cant think of many careers where taking both English and history would be of any help? For psychology you might want to check admissions requirements to see if a science such as biology would be preferred.
studentttt1234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have to pick which a levels to do but I’m really struggling deciding which 3 subjects i should do. I’ve narrowed it down to history, sociology, psychology or english but I don’t know which combination will be best.People tell me sociology and psychology are ‘soft’ subjects however I think it will be too difficult to do both English and history and then either psychology or sociology I’m quite confident I want to do psychology but I’m really struggling choosing which 2 I should take from my remaining 3 options If anyone has advice or can help me in which ones to choose that would be great!
I take History and Psychology and would not take both of these together. History is extremely hard and requires a lot more work than something like Psychology - although that still is quite heavy. Psychology is more interesting and is probably my favourite A level because of that reason and also as it is relatively well structured as in you only use one textbook. My friend does Psychology and Sociology as well as English and doesn't struggle with them and is predicted AAA. Everyone who has taken sociology has really enjoyed it and tbh most Uni's don't care what subjects you take just the grades. Therefore if I could go back, I would've taken 'softer' subjects and got higher grades. But overall, I would not have taken Sociology over History easily!! History is incredibly hard!
Cyeol61
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m in year 13 and I’m studying English Language, Sociology and Health and Social care. Firstly, take it from me- do something you enjoy-I can’t stress this enough! A-levels are tough because you have to learn a load of new content in roughly two years time. If you go into a subject not enjoying it, you’re most likely going to come out of it every single lesson bored and just wishing you’d picked something else...for the duration of two years. Not fun.
Do not worry about History and Psychology/Sociology being hard subjects to take together. They are tough subjects, granted, but if they’re what you want to do, take them, and be willing to put in the hard work. Being honest, many people in my year dropped out of psychology around Christmas time. This could be to do with the teachers, as many say they aren’t the best, but it could also be down to the heavy content. Really do your research. Sociology isn’t the ‘funest’, and I get bored quite often. However, if I went back, I’d still choose it, but I’d put in more effort and way more revision time. Psychology and sociology aren’t all about crime and all that intriguing stuff, you’re learning about theories and perspectives too and I’m not in any way trying to put you off, but just bare that in mind. English literature includes a lot of essays, as several of my friends are studying it. It also includes learning a load of poems and reading a lot of books. It’s like GCSE...just harder. English language however, is totally different from GCSE. The only creative writing you do is for your coursework which is something I didn’t realise going into it. You would study individual and historical variation (language variation) as well as Child Language Acquisition. So again, just make sure you’ve done your research and don’t be afraid of subjects being too difficult, if you like it and you put in the hard work, all will be grand! 😄
spicedapples
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
id recommend psychology, English lit (or classics is a good one if you like greek mythology) and then something else you like. if you want to be a clinical psychologist you must go to medical school for that now - so biology, psychology and another could get you into a peninsula university (like Plymouth uni) but most ask for biology. chemistry and another. its just an option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (127)
27.55%
1 (69)
14.97%
2 (71)
15.4%
3 (74)
16.05%
4 (37)
8.03%
5 (30)
6.51%
6 (17)
3.69%
7+ (36)
7.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise