Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did my piano grade 8 (ABRSM) about a year and a half ago, and haven't touched a piano again since I got home from university this holiday and realised how much I've missed playing. I was quite ill last year and just wanted to the grade done (I know there's much, much more to playing than doing exams but my parents were keen that I did the exam), so I didn't take time to improve my technique. My previous teacher lent me a fantastic book of exercises which helped me a lot, but I can't remember what the book was called.

In short, what I'm asking is whether anybody can recommend a book of exercises that's suitable for my level? I realise that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I've found them incredibly helpful in the past, especially in improving my ability to tackle scalic passages.

Rep will be forthcoming for any help, and thanks in advance .

ReputationRep:
    Something along the lines of Schradieck, except for piano? I'd recommend finding lots of music and playing whatever comes to hand. I find pieces best for getting back to form after not playing for a while, exercises help once you are back in the swing of it.
    I'm sorry I couldn't suggest any piano exercises, but thought I'd give my 2 cents. I am a violist/violinist/singer so not the best person to ask!

ReputationRep:
    There are many factors that you should consider before purchasing an exercise book. If you have limited time you should avoid them really.

Your technique will improve almost just as much if you select your pieces carefully and study them well. Pick challenging pieces - but not excessively so - and focus on learning the notes perfectly, making sure your hands are perfectly placed all the time, and that you are always aware of every movement you make with them. In this way, there is nothing extra to be gained from exercises.

If you really are kee though, then I suggest Cramer. Not his original 84 but the Van Bulow edited fifty. They're really good and enjoyable; Beethoven was a big fan in fact. They are more musical than Hanon and Czerny whilst still providing the exercises. In fact, one may consider them better for that reason, and they don't concentrate on five finger drills as does Hanon, but includes all sorts of techniques, though they obviously don't at all involve as much wrist play as does Chopin's and Liszt's studies, well obviously, and the're not as hard as them. They are more difficult than Hanon and Czerny, however.

If you are succesful with them then maybe after I've heard Clementi's Gradus ad Parsens somehting (ive no idea how to say or spell the name and dont remember it!) is a good follow up.

Buuuuuuuuuut if I were you I wouldnt bother with exercies unless you have loooads of time on your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    I did my piano grade 8 (ABRSM) about a year and a half ago, and haven't touched a piano again since I got home from university this holiday and realised how much I've missed playing. I was quite ill last year and just wanted to the grade done (I know there's much, much more to playing than doing exams but my parents were keen that I did the exam), so I didn't take time to improve my technique. My previous teacher lent me a fantastic book of exercises which helped me a lot, but I can't remember what the book was called.

In short, what I'm asking is whether anybody can recommend a book of exercises that's suitable for my level? I realise that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I've found them incredibly helpful in the past, especially in improving my ability to tackle scalic passages.

Rep will be forthcoming for any help, and thanks in advance .
    Bach and Czerny are both excellent. They have good excersises to build up good form, and once you feel comofrtable with those then back to good old Chopin.

ReputationRep:
    Hanon's exercises I found really good!

Really nice way to warm up your fingers and at the same time help to build up form as well.

The exercises may be simple but start putting them in different keys and it becomes much more challenging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Hanon's exercises I found really good!

Really nice way to warm up your fingers and at the same time help to build up form as well.

The exercises may be simple but start putting them in different keys and it becomes much more challenging
    Forgot about him, he is good.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.