Daft drivebelt question Watch

StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey Guys, I'm somewhat ham fistedly ripping apart my SLK's engine to try and sort out its EML and it's general age.

One thing i'm looking to do is replace drive belts as they look a bit, yich, lots of cracking and i'm hopeful I can do the job myself, seems simple if an awkward space. It's the Supercharger and Accessory belts i'm doing.

I'm looking up parts places for belts and finding plenty, but there seems a fair variation in size? like 20-30mm between manufacturers? Is this sort of thing negligible or will it have an effect, like a drop/gain in power or throw things off?

Cheers
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the engine for the SLK supercharger uses timing chain.
the belt that you are referring to relates to the water pump etc. The best place to get the belt is to go to your Mercedes dealership for the part.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by williamho)
the engine for the SLK supercharger uses timing chain.
the belt that you are referring to relates to the water pump etc. The best place to get the belt is to go to your Mercedes dealership for the part.
Dunno about timing chain, that's somewhere else entirely (down behind my supercharger I think), it's the drive belts at the front coming off the crank pulley I'm talking about, yeah one of them is my accessory belt. driving water pump ect, and the other is for my supercharger/alternator.

I'm aware Mercedes dealerships prob sell them, but i'm still asking why they are sold in v slightly different sizes. (The last parts for this car I had to order from Latvia which wasn't too fun, despite my amusement at everyone being called Igor or Vlad)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (66)
24.91%
My career doesn't need one (35)
13.21%
I'm sick of studying (51)
19.25%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.26%
I don't know enough about them (19)
7.17%