Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's a short selection of some of the new vocational 'real world' qualifications that may be under threat as a result of attempts to reform the curriculum.

Cleaning Services Supervision City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in (no awards last year)
    Body Massage EDEXCEL Level 3 BTEC Award (1 award last year)
    Nail Art ITEC Level 2 Diploma in (1 award last year)
    Cash and Valuables in Transit NOCN Level 2 Award in (1 award last year)
    Fresh Food Retail Skills NCFE Level 2 Certificate (3 awards last year)
    Cake Decoration ABC Level 2 Certificate in (0 awards last year)
    Parking Attendants City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate for (no award last year to a learner aged between 14 and 19)

For the debate and context, this article from The Times offers a summary:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3655528.ece

Basically, the idea is that these qualifications go, and get amalgamated into a diploma system which straddles the academic/vocational divide.

I'd be intrigued to know what you all think of this...should academic subjects remain the focal point of a traditional, liberal education? Or would you be happy to accommodate some of these subjects into your A-Level selection for variation? I know where my views lie on this (as a humanist and firm believer in a liberal, academic education), but wondered if there were any sympathisers?

ReputationRep:
    If they didn't take up much time in can see merits of maybe doing some of these qualifications alongside standard A levels or whatever. I did a voctaional course in sound engineering a couple of years ago and i really enjoyed it, completely worthwhile and would have been ideal if i'd wanted to go down that particular career route. I don't think anything should be the "focus" of an education really, i'm all for as much choice as possible!

ReputationRep:
    Body massage?
    Nail Art?
    Cake decoration!?
    :eyebrow:

I'm just generally confused as to why these qualifications would even exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demoskratos7)
    Here's a short selection of some of the new vocational 'real world' qualifications that may be under threat as a result of attempts to reform the curriculum.

Cleaning Services Supervision City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in (no awards last year)
    Parking Attendants City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate for (no award last year to a learner aged between 14 and 19)

Basically, the idea is that these qualifications go, and get amalgamated into a diploma system which straddles the academic/vocational divide.

I'd be intrigued to know what you all think of this...should academic subjects remain the focal point of a traditional, liberal education? Or would you be happy to accommodate some of these subjects into your A-Level selection for variation? I know where my views lie on this (as a humanist and firm believer in a liberal, academic education), but wondered if there were any sympathisers?
    Looking at the amount of people receiving the awards last year, I can't quite understand why they are still running in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureEconomist)
    Looking at the amount of people receiving the awards last year, I can't quite understand why they are still running in the first place.
    I'm assuming they get them on the job.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm all for having these qualifications if a decent amount of people actually get access to them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather that people who want to take these courses can do so alongside A-Levels as they are then not limiting themselves career-wise. It can only improve social mobility, I believe; because, let's face it, we're not going to find any TSR-ers changing from Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry to BTEC Nail Art.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for having these courses run- just so long as I don't have to take them. Nail art isn't my strong point.

ReputationRep:
    If no one is taking these qualifications then they obviously need to be scrapped or redesigned to appeal to more people.
    Although the qualifications wouldnt be useful to me I'm sure they come in handy to someone somewhere, its just no-one has heard of them and thats a major problem.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is ....say i got my cake decoration diploma, is that respected in the cake industry?

these vocational courses are based on skills and experience....dont see how the certificate gives you that

It would make more sense to me to get hands-on training in the industry....not the wishy washy building-site-in-the-classroom stuff

ReputationRep:
    i would like to do cake decoration!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demoskratos7)

I don't see these subjects as bad. Indeed I would be perfectly happy if these subject were taught along side...say...ASNaC

ReputationRep:
    Having to choose a 'pathway' at the age of fourteen seems a bit early to me. I mean, surely everyone should at least have GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    I don't see these subjects as bad. Indeed I would be perfectly happy if these subject were taught along side...say...ASNaC
    I'm not going to grace that comment with a reasoned reply.

ReputationRep:
    Nail Art - chav chav chav chav

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually quite like to do a Nail Art qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mire)
    Nail Art - chav chav chav chav
    Stereotypical. Stereotypical. Stereotypical.

ReputationRep:
    Cake Decoration, Nail Art & Food Retail are all Level 2 qualifications so they're actually GCSE-equivalents.

ReputationRep:
    None of those courses are A levels; so the thread title is rubbish.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.