Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently came across some problems in describing my duties working in a public practice accountancy firm. Initially it appeared I had no clue what a Fixed Asset Register / Ledger is but after further scrutiny by my interviewer, she concluded that I do have some experience on it but I just don't know the technical terms to describe them. So here is a brief description of what I do and hope someone can help me:

VAT
    1. Type in invoices, extract VAT, fill in VAT returns
    2. Supervise other employees work on VAT (e.g. deal with technical queries on VAT as I am addicted to reading HMRC website in my leisure)

Accounts (Sole trader & limited)
    1. Type in bank statements
    2. Codify/classify all transactions on Excel and produce a summary
    3. Post the transactions' summary on sage Accounts Production Software
    4. The partner checks the postings and asks to do adjustments (sometimes I also make adjustments entries on my own in light of new info or discovery of errors)
    5. We sit together and finalise all the figures
    5. Partner fully finalise the accounts by ensuring adherence to laws and other bureaucratic requirements

I also prepare VAT Summary, work out fixed asset (e.g. additions, depreciation), creditors, debtors, accruals, prepayments, paye and tax payments to be posted on accounts and other notes. To summarise; I do all the preparatory work (A-Z of it) and sometimes even complete the whole accounts (mostly small sole traders - e.g. taxi driver).

Now, the questions I was asked were whether I prepare the lead schedules, sales control accounts and other technical aspects or just do bookkeeping. As a recent graduate, I am clueless about the technical terms used to describe these tasks in practice and I am reluctant to ask the partner anticipating they will laugh at me for being an idiot for not knowing this. What the hell is a lead schedule anyway?:mad:

Sorry about the long post. Would appreciate any inputs or links to any relevant website. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think I did some similar stuff a few years ago and I remember it being called bookkeeping if its still of any use?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.