Harvard referencing help please Watch

Marya65
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need clarification please for how to reference a public or independent inquiry & in-text citation. Would it be the chairperson eg Macpherson, 1999 or Blofeld, 2004 etc?
AfricanDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marya65)
I need clarification please for how to reference a public or independent inquiry & in-text citation. Would it be the chairperson eg Macpherson, 1999 or Blofeld, 2004 etc?
Is this part of what you are looking for? I used Google scholar and searched the names you gave and dates and then just got the Harvard reference provided for each under cite (found next to the star below the name of the text and looks like quotation marks- click this). You can also look which other papers have cited this text to see how they did it. If you type in the exact title, it should give you the Harvard referencing version. I have used this in some of my research work( different field of work- research into Intellectual disabilities), looking up the studies and was told by the professor I work for to use this feature on scholar.

Macpherson, C., 1999. The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry: report of an inquiry. stationary office.

Or

Inquiry, M., 1999. The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry, Report of an Inquiry by Sir William Macpherson of Cluny. London: Stationery Office, Parliamentary papers, Cm, 4262, pp.3-10.

And

Blofeld, S.J., 2004. Report into Inquiry into the Death of Michael Bennett. London: Department of.

I think it would be (Blofeld, 2004) or (MacPherson, 1999) as they were both the only 'author' (given in the reference) and also saw (Blofeld, 2004) cited in text in another paper while looking this up. Might still be a good idea to double check though to be sure though. Maybe look through other papers which have cited this to see how they might have done so.

I hope this helps!
Dalpx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you study in Harvard?
Why do you say "Harvard reference"?
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dalpx)
Do you study in Harvard?
It’s a style of referencing sources when writing academic work. I’d assume Harvard were the ones to invent this particular style (Leafez, 2019).
AfricanDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dalpx)
Do you study in Harvard?
As far as I know, it is one of the most commonly used referencing styles and no you don't have to be in Harvard to use it. I first used it in my Advanced higher science assignments while at school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (54)
27.14%
1 (31)
15.58%
2 (35)
17.59%
3 (28)
14.07%
4 (14)
7.04%
5 (16)
8.04%