The Student Room Group

Aviation work experience

Helo.... Im knew here. as you can see.

My work experience is due to come in december this year. I was wondering if there is any work involved with aviation that I could do for work experience.

Im part of the A.T.C ( air training corpse - air cadets ) and have asked my CO if he could find me some aviation related work. He said " It's A bit late now , but ill seee what i can do ". I only got told that my work experience was happening last week.

So i was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers/tips , to helping me find some work aviation related by december.

Also How do I attatch a file to a thread or post - need to upload CV to see if it's up to standard's.

Thank you for reading this thread , please feel free to comment ( only contructive critisism ).

Yours sincerely , Anthony Belton - Ford :smile:
Reply 1
Write to your nearest RAF base, ask them about it.

Ditto airports/aircraft maintenance depots if you have any nearby.
Reply 2
Drewski
Write to your nearest RAF base, ask them about it.

Ditto airports/aircraft maintenance depots if you have any nearby.

Thank's Ive wrote to one RAF base , It's been three days and know reply.... im very impatient lol.

Would it be better to Ring them up or so.

Thanks
For proper work experience, rather than just a visit, there is usually a couple of years waiting list at active RAF bases, you can't get it sorted in the next few weeks. They also usually only take people via a specific school scheme (Jupiter, Juno?). Far better, try your local flying club, see if they have got anything they can do for you.

The problem with aviation based work experience is that you aren't qualified to do anything, so you can't actually do much work 'experience' you can just sit and watch and ask questions. There's nothing much at all you can do if you want to be a pilot - not worth bothering imo. But if you want to be an engineer, or work in ATC then ask specifically if you can see those departments.
Reply 4
Could try something in Farnbrorough (35 mins <--that-- way from London). It's currently hosting the bi-annual Farnborough Air Show (all the friggen traffic is blocking up my road) which it shares with Paris (alternate years). This weekend coming is the two public days. You'd probably do well to come and visit the show, if you're aviation oriented you would most certainly enjoy it and you could ask around whilst there. BAE systems is based in the area and will most definately have a stand there- try asking them!

Farnborough Air Sciences Trust (FAST) has a small museum on the airfield with a few jets outside (about 3 Hawker Hunters, possibly a Gnat and loads of others) and they may have something you could do or be able to help with pointing you in the right direction http://www.airsciences.org.uk/

Historically Farnborough has loads of aviation history; Cody's first flight was here, first British Jet engines (whittle), has the air tunnel for testing aerodynamics of aviation designs etc

Hope that is of some help, and I'm not just teaching my grandmother to suck eggs! Good luck in finding something that interests you, it will certainly make a difference when you get to the work experience!
Reply 5
Aviation
Thank's Ive wrote to one RAF base , It's been three days and know reply.... im very impatient lol.

Would it be better to Ring them up or so.

Thanks

No.
Patience is a virtue.

It took a few weeks for them to come back to me when I went and did mine. Admittedly, that was 7 years ago now.
Try a smaller airport, like one run by a University, I recently managed to get a place in Cranfield Air Traffic Control for september and it actually looks like they do a lot of things with you, So if you can always go for the smaller civil, light aircraft places.
Reply 7
Yes, but isn't Cranfield the *only* university to operate it's own airfield? A little impractical, perhaps.
Reply 8
wow! aircraft work experience must be a cool thing to do. i didnt know it existed..
How about joining your local gliding club? Much cheaper than powered flight, and many of the same principles apply (see Gimli Glider) You will also learn to do just about everything needed to launch them, including radioing, signalling and winching (once solo and with driving license at my club).

Find your nearest club at www.gliding.co.uk (but don't buy a trial lesson through the BGA, it's much cheaper to go direct to the club).

Latest

Trending

Trending