Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thail)
    Diabetes is tough, I had a close friend who was severely limited in life.

Nothing matters in life other than your happiness, and you can have all the BEST things in life with your condition.

And people like you who go through life successfully with these conditions fill me with respect and make me humbled.

Living through life with diabetes makes you a stronger person than the average joe, it has shaped who you are and it is your life, it will always be there. But you have every chance to take the world by the balls and take every challenge be it slightly harder for you than some of us, you'll only be able to appreciate it more.

Stay strong.
    Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and these people saying this is worse and that is worse... there is always something harder and something easier. A broken leg is bad, but a broken neck is worse, does that mean having a broken leg is good? relative to the neck it is, but relative to the norm it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saoirse)
    This is ironic. You do know that diabetes can lead to blindness and amputations-therefore being in a wheelchair- don't you?

Diabetes is a demon because it torments you with what can happen if you dont do everything perfectly. The pressure is immense. You feel it is your fault when the **** hits the fan even when you are ****ing busting a gut to try and control haphazard blood glucose.
    Isnt it though- just like i was saying, people really undermine DM just because it's immediate effects are not visible. It's under treated, under diagnosed, and under cared for.

But chillax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thail)
    Oh and these people saying this is worse and that is worse... there is always something harder and something easier. A broken leg is bad, but a broken neck is worse, does that mean having a broken leg is good? relative to the neck it is, but relative to the norm it isn't.
    If you want to turn this into a philosophical debate, please, and i mean PLEASE. take it somwhere else. We are dealing with fact. It is perhaps not right to say that one condition is worse, however, if you read the thread carefuly, no one is saying that DM is worse, merely that it is UNDER-RATED as a condition.

broken neck/ broken leg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheese_fondue)
    i'm not stupid. how it really restricts your life.
    I disagree

sorry to sound so harsh, but some people don't know when they've got it good.
    You are a stupid, brainless little twit. How BLOODY dare you. Diabetes isn't always controllable- people are not machines, sometimes when you put the medicine into your body it doesnt appear to work.

I have high blood sugars and no matter how hard I try I cant get them down. I will sit looking at a reading of 25 with tears running down my face because I know exactly the havoc this ****ing disease is wreaking on my body.

Id like to see you try to effectively replace a hormone at an exact level for the rest of your life and see how ****ing good you are. You are a ****ing idiot, how ****ing dare you make judgements about what is easy to live with when you have no ****ing idea.

Ignorant ****

ReputationRep:
    I disagree

You are a stupid, brainless little twit. How BLOODY dare you. Diabetes isn't always controllable- people are not machines, sometimes when you put the medicine into your body it doesnt appear to work.

I have high blood sugars and no matter how hard I try I cant get them down. I will sit looking at a reading of 25 with tears running down my face because I know exactly the havoc this ****ing disease is wreaking on my body.

Id like to see you try to effectively replace a hormone at an exact level for the rest of your life and see how ****ing good you are. You are a ****ing idiot, how ****ing dare you make judgements about what is easy to live with when you have no ****ing idea.

Ignorant ****
    If i were to get the same kind of reply she did, i'd understand. But you want to realize that people are ignorant. Thats all.

You're on insulin therapy, and it's not working?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think people should think things are worse or not worse than other things.
    I think its the effect it has on you and how it effects your life and your coping mechanisms.
    I think its also about how much support is in place - for diabetes i dont know.
    I'm rubbish at coping with things.
    OP i can empathise with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    I dont think people should think things are worse or not worse than other things.
    I think its the effect it has on you and how it effects your life and your coping mechanisms.
    I think its also about how much support is in place - for diabetes i dont know.
    I'm rubbish at coping with things

Wisdom...In medical school we're taught about diseases. BUT, we're taught how to treat ILLNESS. Support groups, a persons moral, approach to his condition, out-look on life all affects it. But how can you tell a person who has a condition to "take it easy" or "be relaxed" esp. if you dont have it?

ReputationRep:
    This is ironic. You do know that diabetes can lead to blindness and amputations-therefore being in a wheelchair- don't you?

Diabetes is a demon because it torments you with what can happen if you dont do everything perfectly. The pressure is immense. You feel it is your fault when the **** hits the fan even when you are ****ing busting a gut to try and control haphazard blood glucose.
    yes, i DO know the possible effects of diabetes over time. however, what i would like to say is that people with diabetes can actually DO something to stay relatively healthy and fight the illness and that these complications (foot amputation, blindness) don't usually occur from day one. they can develop over time. on the other hand, other conditions/handicaps exist from very early onwards and have an instantaneous negative impact upon all aspects of life (ie. wheelchair, blind, deaf).

i also have to have my eyes checked several times/year because otherwise i could go blind. that is the only thing i can do. everything else i just have to accept as a given. there won't be an operation available for a long time yet (if ever) and my children (if i have any) will inherit this eye problem.

i've thought of not having children because of this, but on the other hand i have done so much with my life and i have experienced so much so far (and i'm only young) that i think that even when they're visually impaired they would enjoy life if they have the right attitude. feeling sorry for yourself is not the right way.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i DO know the possible effects of diabetes over time. however, what i would like to say is that people with diabetes can actually DO something to stay relatively healthy and fight the illness and that these complications (foot amputation, blindness) don't usually occur from day one. they can develop over time. on the other hand, other conditions/handicaps exist from very early onwards and have an instantaneous negative impact upon all aspects of life (ie. wheelchair, blind, deaf).
    Okay, now imagine this: living 40 years knowing where you're ending up. No chance to cope with something that 1) hasnt developed yet 2) develops so slowly, there aint really nothing to cope with.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree

Ignorant ****
    remember that i was originally replying to the OP, not to you, and then maybe you'll want to rethink your insults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    Wisdom...In medical school we're taught about diseases. BUT, we're taught how to treat ILLNESS. Support groups, a persons moral, approach to his condition, out-look on life all affects it. But how can you tell a person who has a condition to "take it easy" or "be relaxed" esp. if you dont have it?

True i didnt say that though.
    Im also a medical student.
    I think your getting a bit defensive now, unless ive taken your post in the wrong way - i was talking broadly - is it better to address the underlying issues which may help with the overall outcome?? I have ****e coping stratigies with my condition which is very visable and sometimes i think heck whats the point and i do want to dissappear. You cant be relaxed or okay with things - how are you meant to be?
    To OP - i can sympathise from where your coming from and i hope you can get some support.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, now imagine this: living 40 years knowing where you're ending up. No chance to cope with something that 1) hasnt developed yet 2) develops so slowly, there aint really nothing to cope with.
    What's your point?

Please don't try and compare one condition to another. Its not a competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    What's your point?

Please don't try and compare one condition to another. Its not a competition.
    Saffie

I was NOT trying to compare. If you read the whole thread, you'd see ive been saying that you CANT do that. I cropped out a huge portion of that quote. So i guess my reply wasnt what i intended to write.

The person i was replying to was the one comparing DM to other conditions that are more acute, where the pt develops a symptom much quicker and how people with DM do it so slowly that they have time. I was merely pointing out how that changed things, and the -ve effects it had on the pts psychology.

But i do agree with you- comparing diseases of different types is useless and unfair to the patients.

-Lithium

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    True i didnt say that though.
    Im also a medical student.
    I think your getting a bit defensive now, unless ive taken your post in the wrong way - i was talking broadly - is it better to address the underlying issues which may help with the overall outcome?? I have ****e coping stratigies with my condition which is very visable and sometimes i think heck whats the point and i do want to dissappear. You cant be relaxed or okay with things - how are you meant to be?
    To OP - i can sympathise from where your coming from and i hope you can get some support.
    I meant to elaborate on your point. wasnt defending anything

Which college do you go to?

ReputationRep:

Well at least you, to an extent, have a chance to control it. At least for many years you will have a relatively normal life, if not your whole life.

Its awful to just be unable to see or hear or move properly when you've never known what its actually like sense/move normally and you'd give anything to be able to.

I really disagree with arguing whether one things worse than another because its not making anyone feel better really. But given that you've already insulted cheese_fondue a lot, and no-one else seems to be sticking up for him/her... I guess I feel I have to. I'm really sorry that you struggle to control your diabetes and its obviously upsetting for you. But so many other people have illnesses and disabilities too, which upset them a lot, so please don't throw insults around.

ReputationRep:
    remember that i was replying to the OP, not to you, and then maybe you'll want to rethink your insults.
    No look, my insults are not directed at you exactly, rather at the generic attitude you demonstrate.

I get out and live my life and plough on and do my thing but yes I get pissed off because of all the stuff I outlined. I have been in at least one hospital appointment every single week since January. I have three this coming week alone. It is not how any person in their 20's should be spending their time.

And as you can see, I am really striving to control this, to do all the right things, attend my checkups, adjust my insulin etc. I am on 4 injections a day officially, but this will usually run up to 7 or 8 as I try to adjust and adjust and adjust to get better control. Throw in countless blood tests( the finger prick kind).

I can inject in such a way that it doesnt hurt- thats not the problem. It is that it takes up so much of my life at the moment, and demands so much attention, and thats not me feeling sorry for myself- thats me being sensible and doing all I can possibly do to look after myself properly. Fruitlessly, at the moment. If my current average glucose continues Im looking at a grim future. I already have some background eye damage, which hopefully can be contained, and docs thought my kidneys were in early stages of failure in February. Now, they werent, but it was a very stressful time.

As Ive said before- Its very tough knowing what your fate can be, and has a good chance of being, if your body wont play ball. Diabetes forces you to constantly be aware of your health and your body and what is going wrong next, and in my case, well at the moment Ive lost a lot of confidence in my body just working properly

So when I get someone tootling along chirping about how lucky us diabetics are to not have something worse- I see red

But then again, high blood sugars do make us syrupy-blooded folk very irritable

ReputationRep:
    Its awful to just be unable to see or hear or move properly when you've never known what its actually like sense/move normally and you'd give anything to be able to.
    You just gave me a hard time for comparing

But so many other people have illnesses and disabilities too, which upset them a lot, so please don't throw insults around.
    Thats true- people are frusturated about what they have to go through, and to them, they have it worse. It's the case for everyone. Respect each others hardships and support each other...it would be easier, wouldnt it?

ReputationRep:
    You just gave me a hard time for comparing

Thats true- people are frusturated about what they have to go through, and to them, they have it worse. It's the case for everyone. Respect each others hardships and support each other...it would be easier, wouldnt it?
    Indeed, hence I felt I had to justify myself. My comparison wasn't anything like yours either!

And yeah, illness and disability is hard and everyone has their own stress and worry associated with them.

ReputationRep:
    I also want to point out I have never once compared and said diabetes is worse than another illness- what riled me was the suggestion that it was somehow "easy" compared to a lot of other conditions.

I both respect and have sympathy for anyone dealing with a medical condition. I am under no illusion about how difficult and horrible other illnesses are!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.