Turn on thread page Beta

Hate having diabetes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Indeed, hence I felt I had to justify myself. My comparison wasn't anything like yours either!

And yeah, illness and disability is hard and everyone has their own stress and worry associated with them.
    No justification was needed, not on for me anyways- but i wasnt comparing for the sake of making DM look "worse"...during the "debate" it was argued that other conditions were alot "worse" that DM, i was merely pointing out some of the over-looked long term ramifications of DM so that perhaps the people who think that DM is a simple issue would learn more about it.

And i hope that everyone who needs support or help find it. They all deserve it!

ReputationRep:
    the point i wanted to make from the beginning onwards was that when you think about the situation you are in now and how much worse that situation could be (either other conditions/handicaps or a worsening of diabetes related complications or simply death) then suddenly your own situation is not quite as grim and you can see light at the tunnel.

never give up hope and appreciate the life you have at the moment because your current quality of life (no matter how much you might despise it at the moment) could be taken away from you in the future.

i am grateful for the amount i CAN see right now, even though it is getting worse all the time. i don't want to look back in 20 years time when i might be blind and say to myself: "you wasted your youth and the chances you had then by feeling sorry for yourself"

ReputationRep:
    my handicap is also invisible. you'd be surprised how many people don't believe me when i say i can't see something... sometimes it's just easier to say i can't read when the writing on the menu or at the train/tube station is just too small for me. people somehow find it much easier to believe that i'm an analphabet. :rolleyes: i must look pretty stupid.

on the other hand, i don't wear my "blind-badge" or have a stick/dog, so i'm not exactly advertising it.

ReputationRep:
    +1 to the medical student with diabetes list.

Not very nice when every lecture you go to features the line "...and risk factors for this include blah, blah and diabetes".

The phrases "high morning readings", "dawn phenomenon", "inexplicable high" and "****ing lantus" are the bane of my life. I wonder how initially the management of the disease, and later the complications will affect my career. Hopefully soon though a more artificial pancreas type pump can be developed.

It is hard to lead a "normal" life. One is constantly thinking about blood sugars, have I taken too much, too little, when's my next meal, if I go out I ned my stash with me etv. And it does ruin holidays, or even just going out and forgetting about anythng. You are always thinking about managing it, and more often than not worrying because you struggle with numbers that make no sense.

But I feel fine. I feel healthy. If I want to go out and play football, I can. If I want to go hiking in the Alps, I can (and just did). So whilst I feel frustrated (and often question "why do I have this disease?"), and still think I could be a lot worse off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    +1 to the medical student with diabetes list.

Not very nice when every lecture you go to features the line "...and risk factors for this include blah, blah and diabetes".

The phrases "high morning readings", "dawn phenomenon", "inexplicable high" and "****ing lantus" are the bane of my life. I wonder how initially the management of the disease, and later the complications will affect my career. Hopefully soon though a more artificial pancreas type pump can be developed.

It is hard to lead a "normal" life. One is constantly thinking about blood sugars, have I taken too much, too little, when's my next meal, if I go out I ned my stash with me etv. And it does ruin holidays, or even just going out and forgetting about anythng. You are always thinking about managing it, and more often than not worrying because you struggle with numbers that make no sense.

But I feel fine. I feel healthy. If I want to go out and play football, I can. If I want to go hiking in the Alps, I can (and just did). So whilst I feel frustrated (and often question "why do I have this disease?"), and still think I could be a lot worse off.
    I am sorry if that list upset you. I guess posting it here wasnt the right place, I am at fault. I am thrilled to hear that you are feeling fine and leading a normal life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    Wisdom...In medical school we're taught about diseases. BUT, we're taught how to treat ILLNESS. Support groups, a persons moral, approach to his condition, out-look on life all affects it. But how can you tell a person who has a condition to "take it easy" or "be relaxed" esp. if you dont have it?
    He said more or less what I said, from him it was wisdom but when I said it you jumped on me. o dear lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thail)
    He said more or less what I said, from him it was wisdom but when I said it you jumped on me. o dear lol.
    I actually went back and read the thread and posts to see if i was being unfair. What you were saysing was the complete opposite! you were saying and comparing philosophically how a broken leg is better than a broken neck.

How to the two equate?

ReputationRep:
    i've been diabetic since i was 13 and when i was newly diagnosed it wasn't a big deal, i was very very organized and good at keep my sugars below 10 and under control.
    How i wish i was like that now....! when i reached 15/16 i couldn't cope with it anymore, i was on 6 or mroe injections a day, 3 finger prick blood test things and i just HATED it - i gained about 5 stone in 2 years due to the insulin. I've got worse now, my control is appauling, i never test my blood, skip injections often, basically ignore it. It's ruined my life and i just want it gone.
    I've had it 5 years and i am already experiencing the bad side effects of having constantly high blood sugar, my eyes are going rubbish and my kidneys are deteriorating fast. I KNOW what is going to happen to me if i keep it up, but i just don't care anymore - it's just so hard. I don't expect anybody to understand why i don't care because in all honesty, i don't understand myself.
    I wish there was some kind of support for diabetic people, all i ever get at the hospital is lectures which just make me angry because i KNOW practically everything there is to do with diabetes, i just want to have somoene to tell me how i can get back on track =/
    blahh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.