LaurenM_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 12 right now and I’ve been thinking about what course I want to do at uni. I’ve narrowed it down to either Maths, Physics or Natural Sciences. My plan is to wait until I get my AS results to decide fully what I want to apply for but I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on choosing the right course, or their experience on the courses I’m considering so I can have a better insight into them.
anisha211
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends on what your interests are. For example, I am really interested in a space career (my subjects are the same as yours) so I decided to choose aerospace engineering. Engineering, whether it be civil, mechanical, structural, etc., is a very common career for students who decide that they want to do something to do with math and physics. Chemistry also helps with engineering. Instead of engineering, which is a more practical choice in certain ways, you can also opt for theory based careers, like being a scientist. As I stated earlier, I am really into space, so one of the more scientist-y option I was thinking about was astrophysics. Other options for more theory based careers with math and physics could be mathematician, physicist, biophysicist, etc.

Some of the less science, more math based options are careers like investment analyst, actuary, statistician, financial planner, etc. I'm not very knowledgeable of such careers as I've never looked into them with as much depth as I have with space careers so I'm sorry. Engineers will always be in demand but the demand for other careers with the same subjects is also increasingly growing. I'm still researching for my career choices as well so I'm not an expert at this but I hope this helps!!
LaurenM_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by anisha211)
It really depends on what your interests are. For example, I am really interested in a space career (my subjects are the same as yours) so I decided to choose aerospace engineering. Engineering, whether it be civil, mechanical, structural, etc., is a very common career for students who decide that they want to do something to do with math and physics. Chemistry also helps with engineering. Instead of engineering, which is a more practical choice in certain ways, you can also opt for theory based careers, like being a scientist. As I stated earlier, I am really into space, so one of the more scientist-y option I was thinking about was astrophysics. Other options for more theory based careers with math and physics could be mathematician, physicist, biophysicist, etc.

Some of the less science, more math based options are careers like investment analyst, actuary, statistician, financial planner, etc. I'm not very knowledgeable of such careers as I've never looked into them with as much depth as I have with space careers so I'm sorry. Engineers will always be in demand but the demand for other careers with the same subjects is also increasingly growing. I'm still researching for my career choices as well so I'm not an expert at this but I hope this helps!!
Thank you! It’s helpful to hear about other options that I haven’t thought about yet!
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm currently studying maths at Uni and have met many a physicist and material scientist who also loves maths. So, from my experience, choosing a course comes more down to what you're willing to stand, rather than what you love.

For instance, I kind of like physics, but I find practicals deadly dull. The parts of physics I like are the theoretical parts. While I didn't like my compulsory first year probability module, I could stand doing it, so that I could get on to my second year and do more stuff I like.

Maths is a pretty good one if you don't enjoy practicals. I would also take some time to investigate proofs, and see how you like those, because that's all a maths degree is. It's all proof. If you don't like proof, you will hate a maths degree. I love proof, so I'm right at home.

If you have any specific questions, shoot em my way.
Browni3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, choose something you'll enjoy, not something you're good at because when you'll need that motivation the most you'll most likely be more motivated in something you're passionate about. For example I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chem for Alevel but I'm applying for Business related subjects. (my personal opinion)

Secondly, if you really can't decide between maths or physics you can try a combined honours course, this way in first year you get a taste in both majors (although this means it'll be more work because you're essentially studying two majors which means double the assignments/contact hours etc. but they go hand in hand so you'd really be just furthering your depth of knowledge). If this does appeal to you don't be afraid to explore or call up universities with any questions!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LaurenM_)
I’m in year 12 right now and I’ve been thinking about what course I want to do at uni. I’ve narrowed it down to either Maths, Physics or Natural Sciences. My plan is to wait until I get my AS results to decide fully what I want to apply for but I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on choosing the right course, or their experience on the courses I’m considering so I can have a better insight into them.
Hi LaurenM_

Here is a short list of tips that I used to decide on my university. Hope they help:

1. Check if the course is right for you :bhangra:

Be sure to look at the course specification online so you know what to expect and whether or not the content is of interest to you! In addition to this you can check whether or not the way you are taught/assessed is best suited to you.

2. Does the city and university fit around your type of lifestyle? :banana2:

Have a think about where the university is located. Do you want to live in a rural, urban or sub-urban environment? Moving to a city can be daunting, however if you are a fan of the city this will always enhance your experience.

3. Where does the university fall in the league tables? :beard:

The league tables give an updated scoring of UK universities based off of criteria such as entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality and graduate prospects. Depending on what you find important, these scores can be helpful in deciding between a few close universities.

4. How can you see what the university campus services and facilities are like? :borat:

The first suggestion would be the most obvious which is to go to an open day. However, if you can't go on those set dates you can still contact universities to get a one-to-one campus tour. Additionally, some universities have virtual/video guide to the campus to help you explore the site in the comfort of your own home.

Hope this does help. If you need any more help please ask.

Dom
dj_ad_1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As a year 13 student, I'd say to not worry about that rn. I mean after u get ur AS results u can stick with ur strengths. I do the similar subjects maths, chem and physics so ive applied for engineering in general. With Maths and Physics id say ur options r really open as u can go into a statistics related degree like economics or for a more applied degree like engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%