The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The University of Southampton Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neoj
Hey cheese, when in the year do people start looking for second year accommodation? I've heard people get it before Christmas which seems very early...

Hey :hi:
yeah people tend to get all excited and look too early :tongue:
I would say definitely start looking if you have a bunch of friends you wanna share somewhere with around nov/dec time
you'll want to be signing something around or before February as good places will start to disappear after then
don't worry if you lag behind though, Southampton has a large surplus of student accommodaton!
:smile: Cheese
P.S
Top Tip
- Go to the Student's Union Advice Centre bit on housing
get in touch with them as well
they check contracts, check the landlord you are with isn't a well known nasty one
they can give you a check list of what to look out for when renting
generally are super helpful! Been to them at least 3 times now, highly recommend!
(edited 3 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hey I was wondering if there were mirrors in the Wessex hall monte rooms and if so whereas I'm unsure whether to buy a mirror or not as I couldn't spot one in the picture
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I was wondering if there were mirrors in the Wessex hall monte rooms and if so whereas I'm unsure whether to buy a mirror or not as I couldn't spot one in the picture

don't buy a mirror. It will be a pain to move in and out and you might not be allowed it if it's massive + a h/s risk or whatever
most rooms have them!
Which picture are you referring to?
Reply 183
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hey :hi:
yeah people tend to get all excited and look too early :tongue:
I would say definitely start looking if you have a bunch of friends you wanna share somewhere with around nov/dec time
you'll want to be signing something around or before February as good places will start to disappear after then
don't worry if you lag behind though, Southampton has a large surplus of student accommodaton!
:smile: Cheese
P.S
Top Tip
- Go to the Student's Union Advice Centre bit on housing
get in touch with them as well
they check contracts, check the landlord you are with isn't a well known nasty one
they can give you a check list of what to look out for when renting
generally are super helpful! Been to them at least 3 times now, highly recommend!

Awesome, thanks!! February sounds more reasonable. And I'll bear your advice about the SU in mind :smile:
Has anyone else been asked to quarantine in Winchester for extra 300 quid (2 weeks), whilst studying in Southampton? Recently got a 2nd offer for accommodation in addition to my main contract with no context whatsoever. In the email accompanying the offer it says I have to accept it before arriving, but surely they can't make me do that - it's an OFFER ffs? I've already signed a contract for halls that covers the dates I'm quarantining, so I don't see how paying extra to be in a different city for 2 weeks makes any sense... What do you guys reckon will happen if I don't accept this offer and show up at Glen Eyre on the date and time I booked for my arrival during check-in? I've been sending emails left and right about this but they are apparently all too busy to answer me, so I'm hoping someone here knows what's up.
Original post by Claydelas
Has anyone else been asked to quarantine in Winchester for extra 300 quid (2 weeks), whilst studying in Southampton? Recently got a 2nd offer for accommodation in addition to my main contract with no context whatsoever. In the email accompanying the offer it says I have to accept it before arriving, but surely they can't make me do that - it's an OFFER ffs? I've already signed a contract for halls that covers the dates I'm quarantining, so I don't see how paying extra to be in a different city for 2 weeks makes any sense... What do you guys reckon will happen if I don't accept this offer and show up at Glen Eyre on the date and time I booked for my arrival during check-in? I've been sending emails left and right about this but they are apparently all too busy to answer me, so I'm hoping someone here knows what's up.

If you need to quarantine when you arrive and this period starts on main intake, you should have been offered temporary accommodation for these dates I think
I think you are going to have to wait for an email response and they will have to rectify this probably
It's a bit strange they didn't take your email information into account :beard:
I wouldn't accept it until you get an email response
Does content insurance include electronics like my laptop and phone? Or just other basic appliances
Does content insurance include electronics like my laptop and phone? Or just other basic appliances

You can check what is covered here: https://www.endsleigh.co.uk/student/confirm-your-student-cover/
Hi, is it normal for them to still be sending out offers at this point, since I've received no communication yet after applying?
Original post by negRm777
Hi, is it normal for them to still be sending out offers at this point, since I've received no communication yet after applying?

To be honest no, but due to pandemic I bet they are running late.
If you applied before mid-August, I would contact them and check everything is alright
Best thing to always check is--->
- Are you awaiting anything to confirm your student status at University?
- Do you have any UCAS offer conditions still to meet?
--> this can include: DBS, Occupational Health checks, submission of relevant documents to admissions, errors or delays in processing applications on admissions side
- If any of the above apply this could be what is delaying your offer of accommodation.
Contact your faculty./department/student office/admissions and then also contact accommodation
Let both parties know that you need info asap and if you find out anything, let accommodation know

Hope this helps,
Cheese

P.S If you've received the "welcome to Southampton" email with your Student ID number + UCAS shows you as Unconditionally Firmed, you're fine. Don't worry about the above :smile:
Original post by Claydelas

From halls website : "From the date you arrive in halls you will be charged a quarantine rate of £21.42 per night. If your 14 days extends beyond 26th September, your main year contract will be adjusted and will start on the day that you move from quarantine accommodation into your permanent room. In some cases, this may be longer than 14 days and therefore if your main year rate is less than the quarantine rate, we will credit your finance account with the difference and this will be deducted from your first accommodation instalment."
Reply 191
What's the drink culture/nightlife at Southampton compared to other university's
what’s the difference between standard and enhanced rooms? I understand that enhanced are a bit larger but are they any newer or anything? or is the difference literally just the size? I went to see some really nice new halls in glen eyre which were “category 1” but i don’t know if this was just for show and the other category 1 rooms are older or a bit worse for wear
Hi, we're looking at houses in Portswood area but have just read that Portswood is the most dangerous student area to live in the UK (excluding london, greater manchester, scotland according to this article in thetab).

Is this article accurate? Thanks for any replies (especially from those who lives/lived in Portswood).
I have a quick question. I'm a new postgraduate student and I've just submitted my application for accommodation. Do postgrads normally get housed with other postgrads or is it more mixed?
Hi everyone :hi:
Sorry for the late replies, been busy :redface:
Original post by Henzag
What's the drink culture/nightlife at Southampton compared to other university's

It has nightlife. It is a city. I hope this helps :rofl:
Right now a lot is different though :emo: I would post this question in the general university of southampton forum as I am not much of a partyer myself! :tongue:
what’s the difference between standard and enhanced rooms? I understand that enhanced are a bit larger but are they any newer or anything? or is the difference literally just the size? I went to see some really nice new halls in glen eyre which were “category 1” but i don’t know if this was just for show and the other category 1 rooms are older or a bit worse for wear

So it depends.
Recently accommodation have changed how they classify rooms (to standard and enhanced) so I can't be 100% certain but previously the categories were higher for these reasons:
-newer rooms
-larger rooms (some have small double beds for example)
-recently upgraded furniture
-more storage/space
-nicer room location

Yeah so category 1 was the old classification!
Most category 1's are the same in glen eyre but I can't for sure tell if category 1 is enhanced or not :dontknow: can't be sure with the new system unfortunately.
Hi, we're looking at houses in Portswood area but have just read that Portswood is the most dangerous student area to live in the UK (excluding london, greater manchester, scotland according to this article in thetab).

Is this article accurate? Thanks for any replies (especially from those who lives/lived in Portswood).

Hiya :hi:
I would say the article is exaggerated but let me put it this way, throughout my time in Southampton I have avoided Portswood and been quite successful with it. There are plenty of other areas in Southampton.
If you really like the house I would say no reason not to go for it, just be careful about wandering around on your own at night in Portswood. Otherwise you are going to be absolutely fine.
Unfortunately Southampton is a city and like most cities there are rougher parts. The best indication of areas to live in Southampton is by checking the crime rates.
In my experience around the uni and uni hospital (bassett/burgess road) and down near Wessex lane (Swaythling) you're fine.
Original post by Tori121901
I have a quick question. I'm a new postgraduate student and I've just submitted my application for accommodation. Do postgrads normally get housed with other postgrads or is it more mixed?

Hi there :hi:
Nice, best wishes for your application!

Yes they do, don't worry. Unless you stated a preference to be with Undergraduates, you are much more likely to be placed with other postgraduates in a postgraduate flat. Undergraduates are typically put together and postgraduates with other postgraduates.
Don't worry :tongue:

Have a great evening,
Cheese
Heyy so I’ve got a question regarding about accommodations. I’ve put Southampton as my insurance and for my firm uni I’m planning on going from my home. So I was wondering if I had to book an accommodation for my insurance or do I wait till results day?
Original post by Blueside07
Heyy so I’ve got a question regarding about accommodations. I’ve put Southampton as my insurance and for my firm uni I’m planning on going from my home. So I was wondering if I had to book an accommodation for my insurance or do I wait till results day?

Yes. Fill in the application form for Southampton.
Usually if you do it before 1st August (depending on the year) even insurance choices for your first year you are guaranteed accommodation.
If you end up going to your firm you aren't charged anything anyway. Either cancel the booking after results day or phone/email accommodation and they will cancel it for you after they know you are going to your firm uni choice.
Definitely do it :yes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you have a higher chance of getting your first choice accommodation / an earlier reply if you have an unconditional offer?
Do you have a higher chance of getting your first choice accommodation / an earlier reply if you have an unconditional offer?

No to first choice. Same chance as anyone. The Uni doesn't discriminate against firm, insurance or clearing choices (depending on the year).
If you apply before 1st August you are usually guaranteed accommodation and the Uni had over 90% of people getting one of their top 3 choices previously.
Previously they have been able to tell you what accommodation you get offered earlier (e.g on or around results day) however this policy may change.

Do note that they will not ever give you your room number until you arrive as they often have to do last minute room changes due to late students arriving with special room requirements etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending