Clove123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey Everyone.

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve done my LLb and LLM.

I’m looking to apply for LPC . The issue is that my LLB grade is just Pass. I don’t have a 2:2.

I’ve done my LLM with a 2:1

The university of law website states the application eligibility criteria as: Academic profile and achievement, generally a minimum of an actual or predicted second class honours law degree or GDL/CPE or MA Law*

What are the chances I’ll be able to secure a place on the course. More importantly what are the chances of being able to land a training contract?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clove123)
Hey Everyone.

I’m looking to apply for LPC . The issue is that my LLB grade is just Pass. I don’t have a 2:2.

The university of law website states the application eligibility criteria as: Academic profile and achievement, generally a minimum of an actual or predicted second class honours law degree or GDL/CPE or MA Law*

What are the chances I’ll be able to secure a place on the course. More importantly what are the chances of being able to land a training contract?

Its not hard to get on so contact UoL and ask if thats a rigid criteria or if your LLM will help you past. LLMs arent graded the same ways as undergraduate degrees.
As far as I can see it just has to be a QLD from the SRA's perspective, but as a lawyer your research skills should be sufficiently developed to look up these things with confidence. That would lead me to believe its discretionary and a limit placed by the UoL, just wave the money at them.

Honestly I think unless you had some amazing contacts and they knew you then I would say your chances of a TC are low. I assume there was some massive reason you only got a pass? I would have just resat the degree. I suppose the best you could be looking at is amazing marks on the LLM and LPC plus reasons for the LLB. You must have known this when you did your degree? Massive gamble imo.
17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why didn't get a third class honours degree and only a pass? I would have thought most people can manage a third. Anyway definitely worth calling the LPC providers as your LLM sounds fine. The harder task is finding a firm to take you on as a trainee after.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Clove123)
Hey Everyone.

Hi

I saw your thread so I thought I might be able to help.

I am a student ambassador at ULaw studying the LPC. There are other options/routes to go down if you don't have the grades most law firms ask for in your LLB. You could be a Legal Executive or even take the paralegal route. Sometimes paralegals are offered training contracts so it could be an option. It is the longer route but at least once you qualify you can always take up employment at a different law firm.

Something I did was research the law firm I wanted to work for depending on my needs and network with the recruitment team or anyone who works there. As global firms are likely to be swamped with students who have achieved a 2.1 or above in the LLB and it may be better aiming for high street or smaller law firms.

I think you should contact admissions at ULaw just because I am not sure about the grade situation. The mention of your LLM and of any mitigating circumstances might help.

I hope this helps.

Jade
(Student Ambassador, LPC Student, Manchester)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Nottingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Leeds campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20.45%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.27%
I don't know enough about them (15)
6.82%