Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been accused of plagiarism and failed my exam. Can someone advice who should I write to for more advices a part from Advice Service (Formerly Education Unit)?

Has anyone had similar problem?

Thank you.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been accused of plagiarism and failed my exam. Can someone advice who should I write to for more advices a part from Advice Service (Formerly Education Unit)?
How this is going to go will be determined by whether you did in fact plagiarise, what the evidence is, whether its a 1st offence or not, and your local university rules. Typically, once plagiarism gets to the "fail an assignment" level the evidence is usually pretty water tight, and the case moves from a "local" departmental light touch investigation (warning + 10% off from the module leader) to a much more formal university committee with a _very_ clear rule set that is designed to pass review in any legal challenge.

1st piece of advice, make sure you understand the local rules, that will tell you who to contact if you want to make an appeal.

You need to add some context here if you want more advice, what did you do and how has it been challenged.

BTW I have seen one or two cases that really looked like plagiarism at 1st glance, but turned out to be completely benign (a student with incredible writing skills who re-wrote works of literature in different styles for fun !) _but_ that was a 1 in 100 example.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 1 month ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Has anyone had similar problem?

Thank you.
What exactly are you being accused of (i.e. what do they say you plagiarised, how do they propose you did it)? And the crux of the matter: did you actually plagiarise or not?

You need to speak to your personal tutor, exams officer, and/or your student union if you haven't already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (66)
27.39%
1 (40)
16.6%
2 (40)
16.6%
3 (33)
13.69%
4 (16)
6.64%
5 (20)
8.3%