Was this sleep paralysis? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m genuinely scared. I just woke up but I had a dream I was in a falling lift, and then all of a sudden i knew I was dreaming and had to wait for my dream to end so I could ‘jolt’ awake, as you would after a dream where you’re falling and you finally hit the ground. But it didn’t happen, and I could FEEL my muscles trying to move and I could feel myself trying to shout out for my parents because it felt real, because I thought I was having a seizure. But I wasn’t shaking or anything. It felt like it was coming from my brain, and that’s why I thought I’d woken up before my body, and that’s why I couldn’t move my arms and legs. But that would be sleep paralysis, and when I google sleep paralysis, nothing like my dream comes up. Throughout the whole experience, there was this fog-like sound in my head, like i was under water. And now I’m really scared it wasn’t all just a dream and something is really wrong, but what could it possibly be??? Does this sound like sleep paralysis to anyone? I’m really scared I had a seizure or a stroke or something but I don’t know how you’d even recognise you’re having one.
JWatch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get something similar every now and then where I wake up like normal but for about the first ten seconds I can't move. From what I read online it's not a major problem. I don't really understand it but apparently when you go to sleep the bit of your brain thats responsible for body movements partially shuts down, and then starts up again when you wake. Sometimes you wake up a few seconds before your brain has fully "rebooted" so in those few seconds you won't be able to move. It used to frighten me but now that I know it's just a few seconds, I just stay calm and wait.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m genuinely scared. I just woke up but I had a dream I was in a falling lift, and then all of a sudden i knew I was dreaming and had to wait for my dream to end so I could ‘jolt’ awake, as you would after a dream where you’re falling and you finally hit the ground. But it didn’t happen, and I could FEEL my muscles trying to move and I could feel myself trying to shout out for my parents because it felt real, because I thought I was having a seizure. But I wasn’t shaking or anything. It felt like it was coming from my brain, and that’s why I thought I’d woken up before my body, and that’s why I couldn’t move my arms and legs. But that would be sleep paralysis, and when I google sleep paralysis, nothing like my dream comes up. Throughout the whole experience, there was this fog-like sound in my head, like i was under water. And now I’m really scared it wasn’t all just a dream and something is really wrong, but what could it possibly be??? Does this sound like sleep paralysis to anyone? I’m really scared I had a seizure or a stroke or something but I don’t know how you’d even recognise you’re having one.
Yes, it's sleep paralysis. I have had 10s of experiences like that before. Don't freak out or worry!
There was a time where I was hallucinating and I was seeing strange sights and there was this high pitched noise in my head and I felt like my head was shaking rapidly. I could not move too, I was trying so hard! But honestly, it can be scary but don't let it ruin your day and try not to think about it too much. It is quite rare so you won't find a lot of research about this phenomenon but some say it is something spiritual which I agree with.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes, it's sleep paralysis. I have had 10s of experiences like that before. Don't freak out or worry!
There was a time where I was hallucinating and I was seeing strange sights and there was this high pitched noise in my head and I felt like my head was shaking rapidly. I could not move too, I was trying so hard! But honestly, it can be scary but don't let it ruin your day and try not to think about it too much. It is quite rare so you won't find a lot of research about this phenomenon but some say it is something spiritual which I agree with.
That’s so cool, I was really scared this morning but eventually forgot about it. It didn’t feel like it could have been sleep paralysis because I wasn’t hallucinating but I did have noises in my mind, like when you’re swimming underwater, I woke up thinking I had a seizure since I wa sconvinced it was all to do with my mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (42)
28%
1 (23)
15.33%
2 (25)
16.67%
3 (20)
13.33%
4 (9)
6%
5 (14)
9.33%
6 (2)
1.33%
7+ (15)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise