Reasons for applying (Postgraduate) Word limit?

Watch
wannabegenius01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I hope this post finds you well. I just have a query regarding the personal statement essay for the MPhil Bioscience Enterprise Programme. I can't seem to find the word/character limit for the essay and I was wondering if anyone could assist me with that. Also, this is what they asked regarding the topic. Is it different from normal personal statement?

I found this particular link but I don't understand whether this is applicable for this essay. According to this link, the character count is 1500 words - https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...plicant-portal.

"Please upload details of your reasons for applying for this course and to the University of Cambridge, as well as your future aspirations and what you would bring to the cohort"

I would really appreciate some help. Thank you!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wannabegenius01)
Hello,

I hope this post finds you well. I just have a query regarding the personal statement essay for the MPhil Bioscience Enterprise Programme. I can't seem to find the word/character limit for the essay and I was wondering if anyone could assist me with that. Also, this is what they asked regarding the topic. Is it different from normal personal statement?

I found this particular link but I don't understand whether this is applicable for this essay. According to this link, the character count is 1500 words - https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...plicant-portal.

"Please upload details of your reasons for applying for this course and to the University of Cambridge, as well as your future aspirations and what you would bring to the cohort"

I would really appreciate some help. Thank you!
It's character count, not word count - depends how long your words are as to how many you get! And as you are applying through the portal presumably, those limits will apply. Even if you are not going through the portal because you are applying through JBS (who always need 'special' rules) you should still use it as an advisory.
wannabegenius01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It's character count, not word count - depends how long your words are as to how many you get! And as you are applying through the portal presumably, those limits will apply. Even if you are not going through the portal because you are applying through JBS (who always need 'special' rules) you should still use it as an advisory.
thank you! i emailed them and they confirmed its 1500 characters. I was just wondering they mentioned reasons for applying instead of statement, is it a different thing?

i guess i have to be very specific then
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wannabegenius01)
thank you! i emailed them and they confirmed its 1500 characters. I was just wondering they mentioned reasons for applying instead of statement, is it a different thing?

i guess i have to be very specific then
A 'personal statement' doesn't tell you what they want it to contain. They are very specific about what they want you to write about

• Your reasons for applying for this course and the University of Cambridge
  • Your future aspirations
  • What you would bring to the cohort
ellectron
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Do you know if it's 1500 characters INCLUDING or EXCLUDING spaces?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (1)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
22.22%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
44.44%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads