Government Economic Service Apprenticeship 2020 Watch

Jamesr128392
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Anyone applying for the GES apprenticeship for 2020? Any previous applicants with any tips or information would be greatly appreciated
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jamesr128392)
Anyone applying for the GES apprenticeship for 2020? Any previous applicants with any tips or information would be greatly appreciated
I am a successful applicant and I am currently doing the degree apprenticeship.
you will have an online test, consisting of simple maths and behavioural questions, these are simple.
then a written submission, this will ask you simple questions about why you applied and how you can show your skills effectively during the placement
lastly its the assessment centre which lasts half a day and this includes an interview, written assessment and oral briefing. my best tip for you is be yourself, use the knowledge you have and don't overthink things, its better for you to explain your reasoning clearly than trying to explain things you dont know. all they want to know is who you are and how you process info and data.
it is a great opportunity and once you start getting work and finding your balance and routine it will be really enjoyable
Jamesr128392
Rep:
?
(Original post by oa19)
I am a successful applicant and I am currently doing the degree apprenticeship.
you will have an online test, consisting of simple maths and behavioural questions, these are simple.
then a written submission, this will ask you simple questions about why you applied and how you can show your skills effectively during the placement
lastly its the assessment centre which lasts half a day and this includes an interview, written assessment and oral briefing. my best tip for you is be yourself, use the knowledge you have and don't overthink things, its better for you to explain your reasoning clearly than trying to explain things you dont know. all they want to know is who you are and how you process info and data.
it is a great opportunity and once you start getting work and finding your balance and routine it will be really enjoyable
Thank you for replying thats really useful . How do you find the workload? I was a bit worried about doing a full time job and the degree how many hours do you have to put in to studying outside of the job?
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for replying thats really useful . How do you find the workload? I was a bit worried about doing a full time job and the degree how many hours do you have to put in to studying outside of the job?
No problem. The workload isn’t too bad because my line manager understands what I’m doing is tricky so they are considerate with the work. If anything, it’s much easier whilst studying because they go hand in hand. If you’ve done a part time job whilst in school then there’s no need to worry it’s just switching it the other way around. The guideline hours for studying is 8 per week during term time. However, if you want to excel then just do another 2-6 hours over the week. For me I go over some topics after work when I can for maybe about 2 hours and then Friday (study day) I do my required 8
onyi anita
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by oa19)
No problem. The workload isn’t too bad because my line manager understands what I’m doing is tricky so they are considerate with the work. If anything, it’s much easier whilst studying because they go hand in hand. If you’ve done a part time job whilst in school then there’s no need to worry it’s just switching it the other way around. The guideline hours for studying is 8 per week during term time. However, if you want to excel then just do another 2-6 hours over the week. For me I go over some topics after work when I can for maybe about 2 hours and then Friday (study day) I do my required 8
Do you go to the university of kent ?
Jamesr128392
Rep:
?
(Original post by oa19)
On the application form it says to use the STAR format to answer the questions but I find it much easier to just write it in a normal format. Which did you do?
Jamesr128392
Rep:
?
On the application form it says to use the STAR format to answer the questions but I find it much easier to just write it in a normal format. Which did you do?
And which department or company are you working within?
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by onyi anita)
Do you go to the university of kent ?
The degree is provided by uni of kent. we only go for a week at the beginning which was from the 9th - 13th of September, so we can have a little bit of the uni experience
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
same, i find it easier to just explain how i dealt with a situation, the best advice is to do what you are most comfy with, you dont want to be stuck trying to explain something in a way that doesnt even make sense to you. when you do things your way thats best
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
And which department or company are you working within?
i work at the ministry of justice, there are many other government departments and private companies doing this scheme
Jamesr128392
Rep:
?
(Original post by oa19)
i work at the ministry of justice, there are many other government departments and private companies doing this scheme
What do you do on a day to day basis and do you enjoy it? Also do you find there is a lot of bureaucracy?
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What do you do on a day to day basis and do you enjoy it? Also do you find there is a lot of bureaucracy?
on a day to day basis i normally use excel models to analyse prison and probation, which is what my team mainly does and i enjoy it only when i have work to do if not then there's just so much reading to do which can be quite tedious. there's not much bureaucracy in my line of work because whatever we analyse about the prison system helps us decide what needs to be done so when presenting a case to someone senior they kinda have no choice but to listen or else there will be prisoners roaming the street everyday. so for me its so good so far and in the government there's a lot of flexibility which i like
RD02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Did you choose to work in the ministry of justice or were you told to start there ? Do you get to work at different departments during the apprenticeship or just the same one for 4 years ? How does that all work out ?
oa19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by RD02)
Did you choose to work in the ministry of justice or were you told to start there ? Do you get to work at different departments during the apprenticeship or just the same one for 4 years ? How does that all work out ?
i was randomly allocated the ministry of justice, unless you directly apply to a specific company. i will stay in the ministry of justice unless i ask to move to a different department, but i can rotate teams in the ministry of justice after 1 year. so really and truly, if you ask to change they can work something out for you
Ali.oneup
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone been moved on to the numerical test? After completing the judgement test my status says ‘hold’, I heard there is a delay between the two tests but I’m not too sure if it’s because I failed or not ?
Rudav123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any news?
Ali.oneup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Numerical reasoning tests are out, what did you guys get ?
onyi anita
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are the tests hard ?
Ali.oneup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not too bad, do the practise tests before hand to give you an idea what to expect.
Spongeswag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah um, I wasnt sent an email for numerical testing, looks like that situational really did mess me over :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (51)
30.36%
No (88)
52.38%
Don't know (29)
17.26%

Watched Threads