What is RHUL like as a University and for English? Watch

sleepycloud
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve recently got my 5 offers back and I’m not in the stage of trying to decide the uni I want to go and to say the least, it’s very hard!!

I’ve just got an offer of AB (including a B in Welsh-Bacc which I already have) at RHUL which seems like a great offer to me but my only major downside is that is is very far away. Has anyone had any experience especially doing English at Royal Holloway? I haven’t yet been able to visit the campus and due to the time of year I won’t be able to go to an open-day.

I’ve heard from a few people that campus can feel quite isolated and almost like a school because of this. I’m personally not someone for drinking and partying so nightlife isn’t at all important for me but I’d still like to have necessities such as supermarkets (preferably not Waitrose because I’m not prepared to become that broke) but does Egham have this? I don’t expect there to be too much in the surrounding areas but it’d be nice if there’s enough for a few small shops and supermarkets. I know Windsor, Staines and Virginia Water are nearby so are these easy and affordable to commute to?

The English course stood out to me the most out of all of the universities I looked at and was the reason I applied for RHUL in the first place. I particularly love Victorian literature (Austen, Brontë’s, Gaskell etc.), Gothic Literature, Romantic Literature and generally a lot of the traditional literature (Shakespeare, Dickinson, Woolf etc.) Royal Holloway seemed particularly good for this and I was wondering if anyone had had any experience in English and if the professors/department is good since I haven’t been able to visit an open-day.

Another thing I wasn’t too sure about was the cost of living/accommodation prices. I know RHUL is renowned for being in an expensive area but is it realistically affordable for student just relying on the maintenance loan? The accommodation looks really nice but also seems really expensive to me so any information on this would really help!

Thanks for any help and please let me know your experience of Holloway regardless of courses because all help is appreciated
Last edited by sleepycloud; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
The accommodation can be expensive, it depends what you go for. If you want catered or to cook on your own. Kingswood is the cheapest because it is so awful and a bus journey away (and the bus is always late). George Eliot is the most expensive. Butler Tuke Wedderburn etc are somewhere inbetween. Runnymead and Reid are a bit rubbish. Founders has floors split by gender and shared bathrooms. https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/medi...ees-201920.pdf

There is a Tesco and a Waitrose in Egham which is a 20 minute walk from the uni or a bus ride for about £1 each way. There is also a Boots, Costa, Cafe Nero, Superdrug, Greggs. The SU shop in the library is really expensive but has some essentials if you are desperate. Lots of students order food online for delivery.

Personally the uni does feel isolated like a bubble. The club nights are okay but very samey after a while. The SU never get good acts. There are lots of societies on campus but you have to get involved or you will probably be lonely.

Staines and Windsor aren't that far. Staines is only a few minutes on the train so you can go shopping/cinema/eat out etc. But Staines is a dive lol. London is about 1 hour away (not the 40 minutes they tell you hahaha!)

The English department seems pretty good, it depends on the lecturers you have really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (112)
28.5%
1 (62)
15.78%
2 (59)
15.01%
3 (62)
15.78%
4 (29)
7.38%
5 (26)
6.62%
6 (12)
3.05%
7+ (31)
7.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise