The Student Room Group

which subjects shall i pick for a level out of...

Poll

Which subjects shall i choose for A level out of...??

sorry last thread but out of these subjects which ones shall i pick for A levels:
Psychology
Sociology
Law
Maths
Business Studies
Economics

Doing the poll would just be great. Thank-you.

p.s. I think i may persue a career in either Finance , Law or Psychology.

Scroll to see replies

Maths and economics. Then take two out of a science or proper humanity, so one of (further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, english, french, spanish, italian, history, geography.)

Most of the others won't stand you in very good stead for university.
The three / four you like most.
shootbangfire
Maths and economics. Then take two out of a science or proper humanity, so one of (further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, english, french, spanish, italian, history, geography.)

Ditto.
Maths will be necessary for Finance, Economics would be helpful.
A humanity will be necessary for law, Law* would be nice.
Nothing will be necessary for Psychology, Psychology* would be nice.

With that in mind and the knowledge of what subjects you like, choose your A-Levels.

* although, as has been said, neither of these will prepare you much.
Reply 5
electriic_ink
Maths will be necessary for Finance, Economics would be helpful.
A humanity will be necessary for law, Law* would be nice.
Nothing will be necessary for Psychology, Psychology* would be nice.

With that in mind and the knowledge of what subjects you like, choose your A-Levels.

* although, as has been said, neither of these will prepare you much.

Law isn't the best idea for Law, not saying your advice is bad as you did add how these won't prepare you properly but I don't think Law prepares you for the university course properly so if I were you OP, I wouldn't take Law.

I'd DEFINITELY say Economics and Maths then perhaps a humanity and a classical science for a wide breadth and depth of subjects which will give you a great academic profile for applying to university, as the career paths you want to take are very competitive and you need to be on stead with very strong candidates.
Psychology, Law, Buisness Studies and Sociology are all joke A levels. If you are clever, go with Maths, Economics and then possibly another "heavyweight" humanity like history, or a Science.
Reply 7
shootbangfire

Not necessarily. My friend got 2A 5B 1C 1F 1G at GCSE, no mitigating circumstances, then got AABC at AS with Sociology, History, Business studies & Law, dropped business studies, ended up with AAB at A2 and got into Bristol to study Law :smile: So as generalbriety said, do what you like most, however i did select maths + economics as they are good to have. all the best :smile:
Reply 8
KABS
sorry last thread but out of these subjects which ones shall i pick for A levels:
Psychology
Sociology
Law
Maths
Business Studies
Economics

Doing the poll would just be great. Thank-you.

p.s. I think i may persue a career in either Finance , Law or Psychology.

i'd say maths, psychology for sure if for the areas you are interested in, though sociology is pretty good as well :wink:
02mik_e
Not necessarily. My friend got 2A 5B 1C 1F 1G at GCSE, no mitigating circumstances, then got AABC at AS with Sociology, History, Business studies & Law, dropped business studies, ended up with AAB at A2 and got into Bristol to study Law :smile: So as generalbriety said, do what you like most, however i did select maths + economics as they are good to have. all the best :smile:

I think that's a fairly unusual case, I wouldn't recommend those subjects to anyone on the basis of that isolated case.
Reply 10
Solid_Snake_100
Psychology, Law, Buisness Studies and Sociology are all joke A levels. If you are clever, go with Maths, Economics and then possibly another "heavyweight" humanity like history, or a Science.

law and sociology 'joke' a levels, i am insulted :shock:
Reply 11
shootbangfire
I think that's a fairly unusual case, I wouldn't recommend those subjects to anyone on the basis of that isolated case.

yeah i agree i would not have taken them myself, he must have written an amazing PS :rolleyes:
I'd go for maths economics and psychology(and/or) sociology
Business is abit of a dodgy subject as its not 'respected'.
I've heard Law isn't needed if you want to do it at Uni.
perhaps it depends slightly - just a tiny, wincy little bit - on what YOU like personally and what you are good at, etc. rather than the results of a public poll.

How can we tell you what subjects to do?
Sophie_10
law and sociology 'joke' a levels, i am insulted

sorry, im just going with whats been recommended by oxbridge and other leading unis. (from their websites).
Reply 15
economics over business any day. never do both.
maths is good for finance also.
both very respectable

those 2 others mentioned may be blacklisted by oxbridge but you're only frowned upon if you have 2 of those blacklisted out of 3 A levels, so with 1 of those you're fine. I'd hardly call any A level a joke A level though.
Reply 16
Solid_Snake_100
sorry, im just going with whats been recommended by oxbridge and other leading unis. (from their websites).

Perhaps you could provide us with a link to where these subjects are listed as 'joke' (i.e. presumably, completely useless) a-levels. I know Cambridge have a blacklist, but even they will accept subjects from it providing two other, traditional subjects are also taken (and, as I recall, psychology and sociology don't feature on it anyway).
Reply 17
thanks for the help guys...i think i may take...
psychology
sociology
maths
economics
english literature

Would that be too much work?? could i get into the big universities with these a levels??
Reply 18
KABS
thanks for the help guys...i think i may take...
psychology
sociology
maths
economics
english literature

Would that be too much work?? could i get into the big universities with these a levels??

Hey maybe you should drop sociology as it does seem pretty irrelevant/not as respected as your other subs. There is also no point in stresing yourself with with the extra AS level :smile:
Reply 19
Solid_Snake_100
Psychology, Sociology are all joke A levels.

Please provide evidence to support this sweeping assertion. If you can't, then why make such unsubstantiated comments?

Latest