Turn on thread page Beta

which subjects shall i pick for a level out of... watch

• View Poll Results: Which subjects shall i choose for A level out of...??
    Psychology
    55.13%
    Sociology
    24.36%
    Law
    17.95%
    Business Studies
    11.54%
    Maths
    91.03%
    Economics
    62.82%

ReputationRep:
    sorry last thread but out of these subjects which ones shall i pick for A levels:
    Psychology
    Sociology
    Law
    Maths
    Business Studies
    Economics

Doing the poll would just be great. Thank-you.

p.s. I think i may persue a career in either Finance , Law or Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and economics. Then take two out of a science or proper humanity, so one of (further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, english, french, spanish, italian, history, geography.)

Most of the others won't stand you in very good stead for university.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The three / four you like most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shootbangfire)
    Maths and economics. Then take two out of a science or proper humanity, so one of (further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, english, french, spanish, italian, history, geography.)

Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    Maths will be necessary for Finance, Economics would be helpful.
    A humanity will be necessary for law, Law* would be nice.
    Nothing will be necessary for Psychology, Psychology* would be nice.

With that in mind and the knowledge of what subjects you like, choose your A-Levels.

* although, as has been said, neither of these will prepare you much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Maths will be necessary for Finance, Economics would be helpful.
    A humanity will be necessary for law, Law* would be nice.
    Nothing will be necessary for Psychology, Psychology* would be nice.

With that in mind and the knowledge of what subjects you like, choose your A-Levels.

* although, as has been said, neither of these will prepare you much.
    Law isn't the best idea for Law, not saying your advice is bad as you did add how these won't prepare you properly but I don't think Law prepares you for the university course properly so if I were you OP, I wouldn't take Law.

I'd DEFINITELY say Economics and Maths then perhaps a humanity and a classical science for a wide breadth and depth of subjects which will give you a great academic profile for applying to university, as the career paths you want to take are very competitive and you need to be on stead with very strong candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Law, Buisness Studies and Sociology are all joke A levels. If you are clever, go with Maths, Economics and then possibly another "heavyweight" humanity like history, or a Science.

ReputationRep:

Not necessarily. My friend got 2A 5B 1C 1F 1G at GCSE, no mitigating circumstances, then got AABC at AS with Sociology, History, Business studies & Law, dropped business studies, ended up with AAB at A2 and got into Bristol to study Law So as generalbriety said, do what you like most, however i did select maths + economics as they are good to have. all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KABS)
    sorry last thread but out of these subjects which ones shall i pick for A levels:
    Psychology
    Sociology
    Law
    Maths
    Business Studies
    Economics

Doing the poll would just be great. Thank-you.

p.s. I think i may persue a career in either Finance , Law or Psychology.
    i'd say maths, psychology for sure if for the areas you are interested in, though sociology is pretty good as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    Not necessarily. My friend got 2A 5B 1C 1F 1G at GCSE, no mitigating circumstances, then got AABC at AS with Sociology, History, Business studies & Law, dropped business studies, ended up with AAB at A2 and got into Bristol to study Law So as generalbriety said, do what you like most, however i did select maths + economics as they are good to have. all the best
    I think that's a fairly unusual case, I wouldn't recommend those subjects to anyone on the basis of that isolated case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
    Psychology, Law, Buisness Studies and Sociology are all joke A levels. If you are clever, go with Maths, Economics and then possibly another "heavyweight" humanity like history, or a Science.
    law and sociology 'joke' a levels, i am insulted :shock:

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a fairly unusual case, I wouldn't recommend those subjects to anyone on the basis of that isolated case.
    yeah i agree i would not have taken them myself, he must have written an amazing PS :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for maths economics and psychology(and/or) sociology
    Business is abit of a dodgy subject as its not 'respected'.
    I've heard Law isn't needed if you want to do it at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps it depends slightly - just a tiny, wincy little bit - on what YOU like personally and what you are good at, etc. rather than the results of a public poll.

How can we tell you what subjects to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie_10)
    law and sociology 'joke' a levels, i am insulted
    sorry, im just going with whats been recommended by oxbridge and other leading unis. (from their websites).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    economics over business any day. never do both.
    maths is good for finance also.
    both very respectable

those 2 others mentioned may be blacklisted by oxbridge but you're only frowned upon if you have 2 of those blacklisted out of 3 A levels, so with 1 of those you're fine. I'd hardly call any A level a joke A level though.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, im just going with whats been recommended by oxbridge and other leading unis. (from their websites).
    Perhaps you could provide us with a link to where these subjects are listed as 'joke' (i.e. presumably, completely useless) a-levels. I know Cambridge have a blacklist, but even they will accept subjects from it providing two other, traditional subjects are also taken (and, as I recall, psychology and sociology don't feature on it anyway).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help guys...i think i may take...
    psychology
    sociology
    maths
    economics
    english literature

Would that be too much work?? could i get into the big universities with these a levels??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KABS)
    thanks for the help guys...i think i may take...
    psychology
    sociology
    maths
    economics
    english literature

Would that be too much work?? could i get into the big universities with these a levels??
    Hey maybe you should drop sociology as it does seem pretty irrelevant/not as respected as your other subs. There is also no point in stresing yourself with with the extra AS level

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Sociology are all joke A levels.
    Please provide evidence to support this sweeping assertion. If you can't, then why make such unsubstantiated comments?

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.