Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have been looking at the league tables this year and UEA is now 33rd how good is the Maths department there?
    If I was to slightly miss my offer of: A (Maths) B (F Maths) and C what would be my chances of getting in?
    The offer seems a little harsh considering the positioning of UEA in the tables.

ReputationRep:
    you'll should be fine in getting in, depends on the amount of people getting into your course and the grades they got. UEA is quite highly regarded in the league tables. it has come in the top 20 universities. i study Economics here, and UEA is ranked 11th this year. But yeh you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the re-assurance, did you get in with your initial offer or slightly under?

ReputationRep:
    Thats ok. I got in with the requirements but i havemet plenty or other students who missed it by 1 or 2 grades. My mate who is currently doing maths here got in by missing the offer by 2 grades. It depends entirely on the competitionper place this year. But as i said you shouldn't be worried UEA are quite leniant on students. Just be prepared for a case to argue as i remember someone telling me they ask why you believe you didn't get the required grades. But i have only heard that in exceptional cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc1234)
    Hi,
    I have been looking at the league tables this year and UEA is now 33rd how good is the Maths department there?
    If I was to slightly miss my offer of: A (Maths) B (F Maths) and C what would be my chances of getting in?
    The offer seems a little harsh considering the positioning of UEA in the tables.
    thats not a harsh offer at all.
    Southampton offered me AAB inc Maths/Further Maths and they are in the twenties in the table for maths.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about league tables. Go with which uni you like. I've turned down Imperial, Warwick and Bristol to come to UEA

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing Maths too Shadow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc1234)
    Are you doing Maths too Shadow?
    Ohhhh yes! I guess I will see you there on September! Stick a pic in your profile so I can be on the lookout for you

ReputationRep:
    Don't take league tables too seriously. UEA is always underrated for maths due to the simple fact that it hasn't got a stats department, something which works against it thanks to the way the league tables are calculated. For pure maths the university is truly excellent (I haven't much experience with applied, but I'm told it's very good). Even then, The Times rated UEA at number 18 for Maths - to reach such a position with one department less than most other schools is quite an achievement.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Tue, 12 Mar '19
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.