If you are voting Conservative....

Watch
Bruinsgirl40
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
This isn't a post to shame, belittle or argue. I am just honestly intrigued as to why people will want to vote Conservative.

Literally 99% of the responses i have gotten from people in person are the following:

Corbyn is a ****
Hate Corbyn
Money tree

Not one has stated any of the Tory policies.
Last edited by Bruinsgirl40; 11 months ago
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Bruinsgirl40)
This isn't a post to shame, belittle or argue. I am just honestly intrigued as to why people will want to vote Conservative.

Literally 99% of the responses i have gotten from people in person are the following:

Corbyn is a ****
Hate Corbyn
Money tree

Because many Tory policies are meaningless. If the Tories focus on their time in Government, they will lose this election. Instead they focus on Brexit.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If I were to vote for any of the major parties, I would vote Conservative because of my personal interests towards Defence.

When I lived at home with my parents I voted Conservative because I knew the MP, lived near him, saw him when I walked the dog and he helped me (and a number of students from the same village) when the Student Loans Company completely ballsed up one year. That he was a Conservative was very much secondary to the fact he was a good representative for the area.

However, I no longer live there, am not registered there, and the constituency has been redrawn anyway.

I will not be voting Conservative this time around.
Last edited by Drewski; 11 months ago
Bruinsgirl40
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
If I were to vote for any of the major parties, I would vote Conservative because of my personal interests towards Defence.

When I lived at home with my parents I voted Conservative because I knew the MP, lived near him, saw him when I walked the dog and he helped me (and a number of students from the same village) when the Student Loans Company completely ballsed up one year.

However, I no longer live there, am not registered there, and the constituency has been redrawn anyway.

Thank you for you detailed reply, it is always nice to get an insight.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Who will you be voting for?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Who will you be voting for?
Honestly, I'll probably be spoiling my ballot.

I normally pick an independent voting in my constituency (providing they're not an arse) to try to make sure they don't lose their deposit because I like people getting involved in politics to help their areas.

However, since the constituency I live in has been redrawn recently it's now the seat of a fairly well known Labour MP and there are no independents standing. The seat will return a Labour MP even if a potato was the candidate, so my vote is utterly meaningless.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Honestly, I'll probably be spoiling my ballot.

I normally pick an independent voting in my constituency (providing they're not an arse) to try to make sure they don't lose their deposit because I like people getting involved in politics to help their areas.

However, since the constituency I live in has been redrawn recently it's now the seat of a fairly well known Labour MP and there are no independents standing. The seat will return a Labour MP even if a potato was the candidate, so my vote is utterly meaningless.
Fair enough
kanako231
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Corbyn is a ****
Hate Corbyn
Money tree

Conservative don't like jews expecially jeremy corbyn
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I agree in laissez-faire economics which only the conservatives support, I don't agree in privatisation of all of the sectors the opposite mention. I feel like they have the best policies in terms of spending, tax and budget in regards to creating an economic environment which is attractive to business and investors.

They heavily forced the apprenticeship scheme which has put me on a great career path, set for life by the age of 21.

They are the only party other than BXP that are solely behind Brexit and will try to deliver it.

Corbyn is a factor, as will Johnson be for Labour supporters, his extreme left views aren't compatible with the UK in my opinion. If Labour wasn't so controversial I'd be intrigued, my myself and many of the other work class folk don't believe in what he says.
Last edited by xDron3; 11 months ago
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by kanako231)
Conservative don't like jews expecially jeremy corbyn
What?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Corbyn is a ****
Hate Corbyn
Money tree

Opposition to Corbyn is fair game. Unlike prior Labour leaders he genuinely believes in things which many people believe would damage our society and national interest (his opposition to the monarchy and NATO for example).

In this election though the usual concerns about economic policy which are normally most important to me have taken second place to Brexit (they are the only party attempting to leave the EU) and the Union (unlike Labour, the committment to the union from the Tories is pure).

Granted the fact that he proposes to increase taxation by around £83bn would be horrific enough even in a normal election.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

When I lived at home with my parents I voted Conservative because I knew the MP, lived near him, saw him when I walked the dog and he helped me (and a number of students from the same village) when the Student Loans Company completely ballsed up one year. That he was a Conservative was very much secondary to the fact he was a good representative for the area.

What do you mean by your personal interests towards Defence? Are you aware of the cuts the Tories have made to the armed forces? I'm guessing you are.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Opposition to Corbyn is fair game. Unlike prior Labour leaders he genuinely believes in things which many people believe would damage our society and national interest (his opposition to the monarchy and NATO for example).

In this election though the usual concerns about economic policy which are normally most important to me have taken second place to Brexit (they are the only party attempting to leave the EU) and the Union (unlike Labour, the committment to the union from the Tories is pure).

Granted the fact that he proposes to increase taxation by around £83bn would be horrific enough even in a normal election.
How is opposition to the monarchy dangerous? I support NATO but think the Tories are a bigger threat to the organisation, they're cheap and won't want to pay forever.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
What do you mean by your personal interests towards Defence? Are you aware of the cuts the Tories have made to the armed forces? I'm guessing you are.
And I'm aware of the cuts still likely to come.
I'm also aware of the investments that have been made.

I'm very much aware, though, of the complete disregard the senior Labour leadership has shown towards the armed forces and it's personnel throughout their political careers. And the notion that should they come in, a far more drastic cull could be on the way, with dangerous and far reaching consequences.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
And I'm aware of the cuts still likely to come.
I'm also aware of the investments that have been made.

I'm very much aware of the complete disregard the senior Labour leadership has shown towards the armed forces and it's personnel throughout their political careers.
What disregard? Do you have quotes. People I ask this suggest things like
'Corbyn supported the IRA' (No, he did not, he wanted a peace process and thought that British troops had committed abuses in Ireland, which they have, not that the IRA aren't utter *******s they are)

And the Iraq war but then the Conservatives voted for that and most of the opposition came internally from the backbenches of the Labour party.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
How is opposition to the monarchy dangerous? I support NATO but think the Tories are a bigger threat to the organisation, they're cheap and won't want to pay forever.
Abolition of the monarchy is not dangerous per say but it represents a radical change that casts aside our history, our traditions and our culture.

While the current front bench is only aiming to plug a few holes, the party as a whole is still substantially more likely to take a robust attitude to defense and foreign policy than the current opposition. It's not really an argument one can have while Momentum are in control.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What disregard? Do you have quotes. People I ask this suggest things like
'Corbyn supported the IRA' (No, he did not, he wanted a peace process and thought that British troops had committed abuses in Ireland, which they have, not that the IRA aren't utter *******s they are)

And the Iraq war but then the Conservatives voted for that and most of the opposition came internally from the backbenches of the Labour party.
The Labour party as a whole has shown nothing but contempt towards the armed forces for decades. Gordon Brown's quote still echoes: "a pound spent on defence is a pound wasted".

It brought in disastrous and wasteful PFIs, it cut back the numbers of service personnel, all while sending them to more places.

It's not even about Iraq. Many of the failings there were political, but no side comes out on top.

Corbyn's pacifism and distaste for anything related to force comes from a noble place, but is entirely unrealistic to the modern world. His response to terrorism and terrorist acts is at best disingenuous. The Labour party as a whole treats service personnel like something they stepped in.

I was born to a daughter of a Royal Navy CPO, raised in an Army village, and later joined the RAF. Labour does not represent the armed forces or the people in it.
kanako231
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by enayet1999)
lads help on question 2 please?
Create your own post mate, this is the wrong place
Last edited by kanako231; 11 months ago
kanako231
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Corbyn is a ****
Hate Corbyn
Money tree

If you want rich people to not suffer then vote for concervative
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The Labour party as a whole has shown nothing but contempt towards the armed forces for decades. Gordon Brown's quote still echoes: "a pound spent on defence is a pound wasted".

It brought in disastrous and wasteful PFIs, it cut back the numbers of service personnel, all while sending them to more places.

It's not even about Iraq. Many of the failings there were political, but no side comes out on top.

Corbyn's pacifism and distaste for anything related to force comes from a noble place, but is entirely unrealistic to the modern world. His response to terrorism and terrorist acts is at best disingenuous. The Labour party as a whole treats service personnel like something they stepped in.

I was born and raised in an Army village, and later joined the RAF. Labour does not represent the armed forces or the people in it.
Sorry you feel that the Labour party are not representative of the armed forces. As a member (of the party) I am a strong believer in the role defence plays in this country and in the world. I hope we can change your mind if we win.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (654)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (824)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.54%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.47%

Watched Threads