I ran a red light... likeliness I will be reported/caught?

Watch
tylerh0101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

I will admit I was stupid and this was a mistake.

To give you an overview of the junction. It's a T junction and where I was, the traffic lights turn green at different times for the different lanes. The left lane turns green to go straight on (which allows the oncoming traffic to turn green), leaving my light on red. When the oncoming traffic lights turn red, my lane to turn right goes to red.

But I accidentally pulled out when the traffic next to me started flowing to go straight on, which meant I cut up oncoming traffic that were just pulling off from their traffic lights. (see below for a clear image. The red arrow is the path I went. The green arrows shows the lanes which were on green).

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  79.5 KB

I went back to the traffic light to check if there were any cameras, and I don't think there was. It looks to be a sensor but I'm not sure. Here's an image of it below.

Name:  20191211_112026.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  525.9 KB

So my questions are:

1) On the second image, is that a camera or just a sensor?

2) If someone had a dash cam, what is the likelihood they will show it to the police or upload it to the police? And if they do, what is the likelihood the police will follow it up?

Thanks,
Dan
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
1) It's a sensor.

2) Well it's the odds of someone having a dashcam AND being aggrieved enough to find the time to contact the police about it AND the police having capacity to pursue the matter IF was deemed to be especially dangerous. So probably very little.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
hopefully you wont't have to go to court, but picture 1 might come in useful.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Cameras that register number plates are yellow.

Unless it is a handheld one or on a police car.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wouldn’t worry tbh it happens thats the reality of it. Just try to be more careful I used to worry about stuff like this all the time but I’m caring less and less. As a new driver you’re bound to make mistakes all you can do is learn from them. I made a mistake today at a roundabout as I goy completely lost, and ended up going straight on in the right lane (I did this whilst checking mirrors to ensure no cars were coming) wont be happening again. Anyway red light cameras aren’t even that common tbh you should be able to get a list of the ones in your area online on your local police force website. Or just use Waze to scan the area. Either way I’m certain you’re ok.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's a IR sensor and chances are slim, although I'm not ruling out the fact someone can report you using evidence.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
People run red lights all the time by accident, i did when i was learning, its chill.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads