Which A Level subjects do Unis value most? Watch

molerer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am deciding which A levels to choose, which A levels are most valued by university's?
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the course and the Uni.

For instance if you want to do a maths degree, you kinda have to do maths and further maths. If you want to do physics, you should probably take physics. If Art is your game, take art, etc.

I would not pick subjects based on prestige, only on whether they are prereqs for a course you might want to take. If you are currently unsure about what course you want to take, I would say choose if you are humanities person or a science person, and then take 3 of one and 1 of the other. So if you like humanities, maybe take History, Photography, Business and Sociology, or something like that. I would definitely say to take things you like.

The whole "facilitating subjects" thing is not particularly sound.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the course. If, say, you wanted to take Classics, then maths, physics and chemistry won't get you far.
Generally, aside from the required subjects they don't care that much - A-levels are roughly standardised such that it's going to be hard to get an A* no matter what the subject. e.g. Oxford accepted an A in drama as part of meeting the offer for one of my friends who got in for PPE.
There are probably a small number of exceptions - Imperial won't accept ICT or Business Studies if you want to do computing, for instance.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by molerer)
I am deciding which A levels to choose, which A levels are most valued by university's?
general studies
health & social care
citizenship
sports studies
IT
business studies

these are seen as gold dust on applications

Spoiler:
Show
Obviously it depends on what course your applying for
Spoiler:
Show
further maths in no 1

Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The A level that is a requirement for more courses than any other is almost certainly Maths as you need it for any half way decent course in Maths, all forms of engineering, Physics, Comp Sci, Economics etc. Also, it's beneficial for Business, Medicine and lots of other subjects with a statistical content such as Geography, Psychology etc.

But.. what do you like? what are you thinking you might want to study?
molerer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
The A level that is a requirement for more courses than any other is almost certainly Maths as you need it for any half way decent course in Maths, all forms of engineering, Physics, Comp Sci, Economics etc. Also, it's beneficial for Business, Medicine and lots of other subjects with a statistical content such as Geography, Psychology etc.

But.. what do you like? what are you thinking you might want to study?
(Original post by mnot)
general studies
health & social care
citizenship
sports studies
IT
business studies

these are seen as gold dust on applications

Spoiler:
Show
Obviously it depends on what course your applying for
Spoiler:
Show
further maths in no 1

what would go well with biology and maths?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Guide to Choosing A level subjects here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Read it all carefully.
HannahWilson9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by molerer)
what would go well with biology and maths?
Chemistry if you're looking at doing a science course at uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (45)
26.01%
1 (29)
16.76%
2 (31)
17.92%
3 (24)
13.87%
4 (11)
6.36%
5 (15)
8.67%