Greta Thunberg named 2019 Time Person of the Year Watch

Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://time.com/person-of-the-year-...reta-thunberg/

The title is given to the person/group/idea etc that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

The 4 runners up were:

Donald Trump
Nancy Pelosi
The Hong Kong protesters
Whistleblower in Trump-Ukraine scandal

Do you agree that she has done the most this year to influence world events (whether you like her or not)? On balance I'd probably say yes.
Bruinsgirl40
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)

The title is given to the person/group/idea etc that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

The 4 runners up were:

Donald Trump
Nancy Pelosi
The Hong Kong protesters

Do you agree that she has done the most this year to influence world events (whether you like her or not)? On balance I'd probably say yes.
Well done Greta!

Also can you imagine if Trump had won
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bruinsgirl40)
Well done Greta!

Also can you imagine if Trump had won
Trump was named Person of the Year in 2016 which was a pretty obvious decision. Remember that the title is given "for better or for worse" so it's not always an award to be proud of. Although in this case I'm pretty sure Greta will be happy that she's done so much to influence world events because that's her aim.
AnCapo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The 4 runners up were:

Donald Trump
Nancy Pelosi
The Hong Kong protesters

The Hong Kong protesters got 96% of the vote, and yet Greta won isn’t that rigged
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnCapo)
The Hong Kong protesters got 96% of the vote, and yet Greta won isn’t that rigged
The title is entirely decided by the editors of Time. Public polling is separate.
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with this decision but I'm interested to know if Time would have had the balls to name the Hong Kong protesters.
AnCapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The title is entirely decided by the editors of Time. Public polling is separate.
What’s the point of having a vote then after choosing someone who wasn’t voted as top?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
What’s the point of having a vote then after choosing someone who wasn’t voted as top?
Interest? Online polls are easily corrupted so it would be silly to base the decision on a poll.
AnCapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Interest? Online polls are easily corrupted so it would be silly to base the decision on a poll.
If you look at the comments of their Instagram you’d see that the majority there too oppose their decision, you can’t say even if it was corrupted slightly that Greta still deserved it more
Toki the Dumdum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Deserved. She's been everywhere and made a lot of headlines.

Not sure if going forwards she'll become more of a meme/joke or if she'll continue to hold traction. For this year though it's the right decision.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)
I agree with this decision but I'm interested to know if Time would have had the balls to name the Hong Kong protesters.
Why Greta has spent 0 time in a lab, 0 time at academic conferences.

Her stunt getting a boat across the ocean cost more emissions with her team who flied all around the world repeatedly setting up the media stunt.

She is a puppet. Quite frankly the whole thing is embarrassing, the Time person of the year is just designed to sell magazines and get digital clicks people should ignore it and move on.

The protesters put their life on the line everyday.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
If you look at the comments of their Instagram you’d see that the majority there too oppose their decision, you can’t say even if it was corrupted slightly that Greta still deserved it more
Of course the protesters have influenced news events but so has Greta Thunberg - she's been all over the news this year. Again, as I said above this is not a popularity contest which is another reason why an online poll can't be used to determine the result.

Why do you personally think that the protestors should have been named instead of Greta?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)

Her stunt getting a boat across the ocean cost more emissions with her team who flied all around the world repeatedly setting up the media stunt.

She is a puppet. Quite frankly the whole thing is embarrassing, the Time person of the year is just designed to sell magazines and get digital clicks people should ignore it and move on.

This is all irrelevant. The question is, has she "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year"?
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hong Kong protestors deserved it 10000% more than a political puppet.
AnCapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course the protesters have influenced news events but so has Greta Thunberg - she's been all over the news this year. Again, as I said above this is not a popularity contest which is another reason why an online poll can't be used to determine the result.

Why do you personally think that the protestors should have been named instead of Greta?
The protestors are fighting back against a regime that’s genocided millions, has millions in concentration camps because they’re Islamic, harvests their organs, and more, the protestors aren’t fighting to replace one regime with one of their choice, what has Greta done, talk about what people already know is happening then skip school and travel the world I’m sure it’s obvious who’s better
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is all irrelevant. The question is, has she "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year"?
She hasnt done anything. Why hasn't the IEA or IPCC being recognised if were looking at influence on climate change, these organisations have actually made a difference.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)

When was the last time someone from a lab or an academic conference won Person of the Year? And you don't automatically win because what you're doing is dangerous and puts your life on the line.

I don't think you understand the purpose of this, and you seem incredibly invested in it for someone who thinks it's embarrassing. I don't really care who gets named Person of the Year but I see why they chose Greta.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, she's clearly been influential this year, and has acted as a lightening rod for both 'sides' of the argument (such that any argument still exists).

There isn't really anyone else in 2019 that comes close to her level of exposure or influence on the zeitgeist.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)
When was the last time someone from a lab or an academic conference won Person of the Year? And you don't automatically win because what you're doing is dangerous and puts your life on the line.

I don't think you understand the purpose of this, and you seem incredibly invested in it for someone who thinks it's embarrassing. I don't really care who gets named Person of the Year but I see why they chose Greta.
They chose her because more people will buy the magazine, picking someone who actually does influential & interesting work on these issues isn't entertaining.

Yes we all know how this game works... im just using this thread as an excuse to vent my frustration with the amount of press this puppet receives.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
They chose her because more people will buy the magazine, picking someone who actually does influential & interesting work on these issues isn't entertaining.

Yes we all know how this game works... im just using this thread as an excuse to vent my frustration with the amount of press this puppet receives.
I still feel that you're missing the point of the Time feature. Do you agree/disagree with the decision to give it to Trump in 2016? How about Hitler in 1938?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (3)
9.38%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (3)
9.38%
No, but maybe I will look into it (7)
21.88%
No and I wouldn't consider it (19)
59.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed