Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :woo: I am an international candidate appearing for AS & A2 GCE from edexcel. I heard Practical examinations for physics and chemistry are ommited from the course. Is that true?

ReputationRep:
    The syllabus is changing ...is that what you mean? As far as i know for chemistry, you are continually assessed throughout the 2years rather than 2 "big" practicals that currently feature at the end of AS and A2!

You can do coursework instead of the practical. I am not sure of the new syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssadi)
    :woo: I am an international candidate appearing for AS & A2 GCE from edexcel. I heard Practical examinations for physics and chemistry are ommited from the course. Is that true?
    I remember reading that Edexcel international students cannot sit practical exams, but sit a written exam instead. (This is, as far as I'm aware, just for international centres to take)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tymbnuip)
    I remember reading that Edexcel international students cannot sit practical exams, but sit a written exam instead. (This is, as far as I'm aware, just for international centres to take)
    If you can just tell me where you read it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember, I've had a quick look on the Edexcel International website and I can't find anything - maybe I am mistaken. Ask your teacher!

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember, I've had a quick look on the Edexcel International website and I can't find anything - maybe I am mistaken. Ask your teacher!
    I couldn't find anything there either. That's why I am looking desperately for the information. I have not taken admission to any skool yet, so you may say I am teacherless! Still thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssadi)
    I couldn't find anything there either. That's why I am looking desperately for the information. I have not taken admission to any skool yet, so you may say I am teacherless! Still thanks for replying.
    So why do you need to find out?

ReputationRep:
    International centres have the option of taking an 'Alternative to Coursework'. The practicals will still be there for UK centres and those who opt not to take the written exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    International centres have the option of taking an 'Alternative to Coursework'. The practicals will still be there for UK centres and those who opt not to take the written exam.
    Can you tell me the exact url of the site where I can verify the information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssadi)
    Can you tell me the exact url of the site where I can verify the information?
    Yeah, give me 2 mins.

ReputationRep:
    So why do you need to find out?
    I need to go to school if I have to appear for practical. If I do not need to, then I can forgo school and save a lot of time and money in the process.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.edexcel.com/gce2008/chemi.../Overview.aspx
    Scroll down, until you see "Ask Edexcel", and "GCE 2008 - Which centres can take the written alternative to coursework?"

"All international centres - both ‘Teaching Institutions’ and ‘Private Centres’ may take the written alternative option. Centres classified as ‘Private Centres’ which are not allowed to take coursework must take the written alternative option, information about the papers is now on our website using the following links: Chemistry Biology Physics Please be aware that UK centres cannot take the written alternative under any circumstances - this is only available to International centres."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    http://www.edexcel.com/gce2008/chemi.../Overview.aspx
    Scroll down, until you see "Ask Edexcel", and "GCE 2008 - Which centres can take the written alternative to coursework?"

"All international centres - both ‘Teaching Institutions’ and ‘Private Centres’ may take the written alternative option. Centres classified as ‘Private Centres’ which are not allowed to take coursework must take the written alternative option, information about the papers is now on our website using the following links: Chemistry Biology Physics Please be aware that UK centres cannot take the written alternative under any circumstances - this is only available to International centres."
    Thanks for your efforts. My belated gratitude was because I was away from PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssadi)
    Thanks for your efforts. My belated gratitude was because I was away from PC.
    No problem

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.