Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trefusis128)
    Pride, belief, passion, and more,
    things that this country used to stand for.
    But now our country’s gone down the pan,
    ’United we fall, and divided we stand’
    Letting in immigrants, fleeing for peace,
    but when they get here, all they do is fleece
    off of our government. While they sit on their arse,
    hard working people, pay for their cars,
    and their big houses, and anything else,
    they cant be arsed to work for, and pay for themselves.

These are the views im not afraid to hide,
    you might call me racist, but i’ve just got pride.
    Pride for my country, and for my race,
    so i’ll stand up tall, and i’ll show my face.
    I want this country how it was before;
    standing by it’s morals, and clear cut laws.
    Still we sit here and watch it, and don’t make a fuss,
    Hard working people. People like us.
    And it’s these people who just want to shout:
    ’Come in and make a difference, or get the **** out!’
    So if you agree with what i’ve just wrote,
    stand up and be counted. Stand up and shout;
    Shout for your pride of this beautiful country,
    "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori"

Not my words, but I agree.
    I hate it when people try to make out faith is a virtue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Islamic republic of Britain. It could happen...
    It won't. We are - thankfully - becoming too secular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandon_30)
    what about the human beings who believe in what you call the pretend fairies in the sky and their old books? you know those too get insulted , and they too have the right to believe what ever they want and not be bothered by ppl like you.

Why can't we just have a peacfull and adult debate that has no insults and comes up with something useful. why do we always have to end everything with hurt feelings and more hatred why? Why do we always agree to disagree.
    Please be more mature and spare us your unappreciated sarcasim. This thread isn't an I HATE MUSLIMS THRED!! It is simply a thread to dicuss the preception of Muslims in Britian.

you know maybe if you tried being nice and objective you would learn things about other religions and faiths that could sound rational and productive. Maybe you would find an explanation to what may seem like an unreasonable behavior. Maybe you'd learn not to judge majorities by minorities!!!!
    If we didn't disagree it wouldn't be much of a debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    My freedom is more important than your faith. Much, much more important.

We (as in non-religious people) don't hate Muslims (or rather religious people). We just consider their beliefs as delusions.

Having an 'unoffending' discussion with religion is like kindly asking a brick wall to move.

La Illah il Paxdax. Internet rasul Illah!

You know what! I pitty you!!! No other comment. Because trying to have a convo with you is like talking to an empty vase! Immature kiddo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    I take it you are refering to the infamous danish cartoons. They were not designed to cause offence but to be funny as most cartoons are.
    I have yet to see anyone that actually found them funny to be honest. And if they were designed to be funny then the guy has a pretty bad sense of humour.

It wouldn't be much of a debate of we disagree, but disagreeing has some etiquette and some people seem to have forgotten about it (or didn't know of it) and started to throw insults.

What I don't understand is this: anyone can complain about the situation in his country and how he wants it to change for the better, but when a Muslim does it it's always the same reply of "Go back" or "Don't come here" knowing that they were born and raised here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Kamikaze)
    I have yet to see anyone that actually found them funny to be honest. And if they were designed to be funny then the guy has a pretty bad sense of humour.

It wouldn't be much of a debate of we disagree, but disagreeing has some etiquette and some people seem to have forgotten about it (or didn't know of it) and started to throw insults.

What I don't understand is this: anyone can complain about the situation in his country and how he wants it to change for the better, but when a Muslim does it it's always the same reply of "Go back" or "Don't come here" knowing that they were born and raised here.
    i have a mate who thinks himself more pakistani than british even though he lived here all his life born here etc.

(Original post by 1721)
    i have a mate who thinks himself more pakistani than british even though he lived here all his life born here etc.
    And I know someone who is 'quarter' Greek and is just as interested in his status as Greek as English; identities are complex and people make use of them for all kinds of reasons. In America there are communities which are very proud of their ethnicity as Italians, Germans, Nigerians, Chinese etc., they don't stop being part of the fabric of American culture and society for that reason, indeed the plurality of culture and identity makes for a more interesting place. What doesn't help, however, is the longstanding cultural hostility and racism which implicitly encourages British asians to abandon seeing themselves as British - we have the likes of the BNP to thank for that (the BNP don't actually want non-white people to regard themselves as British yet at the same time make much noise when such people declare their identity as something other than British).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    You think people don't need religion? Just wait for the expected 6 million immigrants from the indian subcontinent over the next 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    Who is we? The indigenous population of Britain is becoming secular but if anything second generation Muslims in this country are more religious than their parents.

Factor into this the high Muslim birth rate and it isn't hard to see a Britain where Mosque and State are intricately linked. In much of Britain this is already the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    'jizya was a punitive punishment for non-muslims'. Under Islam the Muslims pay 2.5% of their wealth. The non-muslims payed a fixed amount depending on what their savings are (i.e. modern day equivalence to income band), those of you who read into this and are good at maths realise the jizya paid by non-muslims is less than the zakah paid by muslims, so in an islamic theocracy the muslims pay more 'tax'. Secondly tolerance is not a new phenomenon, like we like to think. It existed in early muslim empire (uve all seen kingdom of heaven, and this was true Saladin offered a safe passage to every christian), a few hundred years ago look at the ottomans, who gave every religion there own courts (wikipedia millet system). But in Europe (modern day) many compare the treatment of Muslims like that of Jews pre WW2, remember the holocaust didnt occur overnight, in fact in the 1930s in Germany there was mass protests against discriminating against Jews, but a sustained propoganda war was waged against them. If u look more recently the same occured in Bosnia and Kosovo with the serbs.
    Hilarious, another Muslim who believes that the religious tolerance of medieval Muslims exceeds Britain today. The Ottoman empire allowed Christians to continue to exist (albeit taxed to fund their own oppression and without the same rights as Muslims), how gracious of them, in reality both Al-Andalus and the Ottoman Empire at times massacred and/or forcefully converted non-Muslim subjects. In modern Britain Muslims aren't forced to pay a separate tax, there are no restrictions on entering employment or government for Muslims and indeed discrimination against them is illegal. How the hell can you compare this to the discrimination against non-Muslims in Al-Andalus or the Ottoman empire? You clearly have no sense of proportion and little sense of history.

The Serbs did fight Albanians on their own territory in self-defence but who exactly was it who fought on behalf of the Albanians and even carved up another Islamic state out of Serbia? Predominately Christian NATO (the ones who apparently treat Muslims like the Jews of the 1930s), in any case the motivations for conflict in the Balkans were ethnic rather than religious. Albanians aren't generally very religious at all, thanks Communists!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mire)
    as long as I know covering up is not even compulsory, look at Turkey and Turkish women. Most of them won't cover up and still are Muslims.
    It's funny how you say 'many'. Majority of them do cover up. I'm Turkish and I think I'd know better.......actually I do know better.

To those who don't cover up......well they are simply not following their religion properly. They are non practising and are not abiding with the Islamic dress requirement, which is to cover everything besides the face and hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samperry209)
    they seem to be taking over the country!

england does not feel like england.... too many foreingers!!
    Damn right. We need to look out for our pure anglo-saxon-roman-norman-jute-viking-persian-celtic blood. **** all those bloody foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Damn right. We need to look out for our pure anglo-saxon-roman-norman-jute-viking-persian-celtic blood. **** all those bloody foreigners.
    you seem to be american?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    you seem to be american?
    I'm British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    I'm British.

its just that you have an american flag and wrote your location to be somewhere, some state, like americans do. like orlando, florida.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    its just that you have an american flag and wrote your location to be somewhere, some state, like americans do. like orlando, florida.
    I know, I live there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calikusu)
    It's funny how you say 'many'. Majority of them do cover up. I'm Turkish and I think I'd know better.......actually I do know better.

To those who don't cover up......well they are simply not following their religion properly. They are non practising and are not abiding with the Islamic dress requirement, which is to cover everything besides the face and hands.
    Actually the majority of women do not wear the hijab. The number of women who wear the hijab stands at around 30-40%. A further 30% wear a headscarf, though this has very little to do with Islam - it's a traditional, culture dress code. Secondly, do not be so arrogant as to claim a monopoly over the interpretation of Islam - especially since the Kuran is largely quite on the issue of the hijab. There are many Islamic scholars and imams (albeit a minority) who do no believe that covering one's head is compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calikusu)

Oh well sorry for not being in Turkey, I was busy having a life in Spain. I was however told by several people that most women in Istanbul and Ankara won't cover up, and that's why I said it. And I didn't say you don't know a thing, no need to say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mire)
    Oh well sorry for not being in Turkey, I was busy having a life in Spain. I was however told by several people that most women in Istanbul and Ankara won't cover up, and that's why I said it. And I didn't say you don't know a thing, no need to say that.
    You're absolutely correct. In most of the main cities (certainly in Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir and Antalya) the majority do not cover their head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandon_30)
    You know what! I pitty you!!! No other comment. Because trying to have a convo with you is like talking to an empty vase! Immature kiddo!
    Empty vase? WTH?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.