The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And which verse is this?

24:31
Reply 121
Don_Kamikaze
24:31

This verse?

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands".
Reply 122
Don_Kamikaze
I'd have to disagree with you. Almost every muslim in the west knows that the so called "Islamic" country is far from Islam. They are simply trying to make people respect their beliefs. If a person chooses not to play football with you then you don't go and tackle them, do you? :P The same applies to them, so they can't tackle you either. Then everyone is happy. Unless of course that person is a very good player and you wanted him to be in your team...

What were we talking about again?

Well you can't make people respect belief and if you try it will just make them less respectful.
This verse?

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands".

The difference here, my friend, is that you are using a bad translation.
CJ99
Well you can't make people respect belief and if you try it will just make them less respectful.

It's not as much as respecting a belief as much as respecting a human right to have a belief.
Reply 125
Don_Kamikaze
The difference here, my friend, is that you are using a bad translation.

Of course, I'm using the bad translation. lol. Let's just say that some Islamic scholars think that the hijab is compulsory in Islam and some think it's not and keep it at that.
Reply 126
Don_Kamikaze
It's not as much as respecting a belief as much as respecting a human right to have a belief.

That's ridiculous. Me mocking your belief does not prevent you from believing whatever you wish to believe.
That's ridiculous. Me mocking your belief does not prevent you from believing whatever you wish to believe.

Of course it doesn't, but it gives an impression that one is not welcome and it goes against living in harmony, doesn't it?

As for the translation, I believe I can tell if it's a bad translation if I speak the language, don't you think? Plus name me a few accredited scholars that say it is not compulsory. Another point is that is is mentioned in the Hadith too...
Reply 128
Don_Kamikaze
Of course it doesn't, but it gives an impression that one is not welcome

So? You expect me to curtail my freedom of speech and expression just so that 'it gives an impression that one is not welcome'? You ask too much!

Also, I suspect 'god' or whatever it is you believe will not be very happy if your belief in Him and the Kuran (which you believe is his 'book') depended upon a cosy, comfortable environment. What happened to true belief? The type of belief where even if an enemy holds a sword to your throat and demands that you repent your religious views you stick by your belief no matter what. If we're to believe what you say, Don_Kamikaze, Muslims must be leaving their religion in droves because of a few cartoons. Pfft.

Don_Kamikaze
and it goes against living in harmony, doesn't it?

Actually it does not go against harmonious living. If you force someone to respect your beliefs, you will only create resentment and hatred.
Don_Kamikaze
As for the translation, I believe I can tell if it's a bad translation if I speak the language, don't you think? Plus name me a few accredited scholars that say it is not compulsory. Another point is that is is mentioned in the Hadith too...

Do you speak the Arabic spoken during the 7th century? I suspect not.

As for an accredited scholar who believe that it's not compulsory, Javed Ahmed Ghamidi is an example. There are many others of course.
This verse?

The veils already covered their hair but left skin around the neck and collar bone exposed. The verse commanded them to cover these remaining exposed areas.

See, as usual, it's always important to consider the context in which a verse is revealed, not just pluck things out and consider them in isolation.
So? You expect me to curtail my freedom of speech and expression just so that 'it gives an impression that one is not welcome'? You ask too much!

Also, I suspect 'god' or whatever it is you believe will not be very happy if your belief in Him and the Kuran (which you believe is his 'book') depended upon a cosy, comfortable environment. What happened to true belief? The type of belief where even if an enemy holds a sword to your throat and demands that you repent your religious views you stick by your belief no matter what. If we're to believe what you say, Don_Kamikaze, Muslims must be leaving their religion in droves because of a few cartoons. Pfft.

Actually it does not go against harmonious living. If you force someone to respect your beliefs, you will only create resentment and hatred.

Do you speak the Arabic spoken during the 7th century? I suspect not.

As for an accredited scholar who believe that it's not compulsory, Javed Ahmed Ghamidi is an example. There are many others of course.

Disagreement does not go against respect, and no one forced you to respect us.

You clearly know nothing of the Arabic language.
Reply 131
Dirac Delta Function
The veils already covered their hair but left skin around the neck and collar bone exposed. The verse commanded them to cover these remaining exposed areas.

See, as usual, it's always important to consider the context in which a verse is revealed, not just pluck things out and consider them in isolation.

I used that verse to highlight the fact that it is possible to pick out a verse that, read literally, does not mean that the hijab is compulsory in the same way that it's possible to pick out verses in isolation and out of context to justify the claim that it is compulsory, so you've merely strengthened my point.
Reply 132
Don_Kamikaze
Disagreement does not go against respect, and no one forced you to respect us.

If I must walk on egg shells when I discuss Islam you're basically forcing me to show undue respect towards your belief.

Don_Kamikaze
You clearly know nothing of the Arabic language.

And you're clearly the expert. Look you're obviously quite dim, just do not quote my comments and go bother someone else.
Reply 133
Don_Kamikaze

Almost no on disrespects peoples right to have a belief they simply have no respect for that belief.
And you're clearly the expert. Look you're obviously quite dim, just do not quote my comments and go bother someone else.

I believe I am more of an expert than you as it's my first language.

Since it cam down to insults the debate with you is pointless. Plus there is no point in debating with a person that knows nothing about the topic.
Reply 135
Don_Kamikaze
Plus there is no point in debating with a person that knows nothing about the topic.

You have offended me deeply me with that comment. Please respect my beliefs and do not say such a thing about 2026.
Reply 136
Suave
You have offended me deeply me with that comment. Please respect my beliefs and do not say such a thing about 2026.

Not another respect my beliefs person.
Reply 137
CJ99
Not another respect my beliefs person.

Sense the point of why I posted it....
Reply 139
If I must walk on egg shells when I discuss Islam you're basically forcing me to show undue respect towards your belief.

Says the person that insists babies in abortions are called 'foetuses'. And that gays must be called homosexuals, not poofs, queers etc. Either way you're guilty of forcing people to walk on egg shells to respect you as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending