Ecdysiastt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why should the EU give Corbyn the time of day if he wins and goes back to renegotiate a deal?

It'll be the 4th time a UK PM has asked the EU for a deal or ratification to a deal. Why on earth would they give Corbyn some miracle deal over what they gave Boris & May? Plus, why should they bother at all when they know that if Corbyn gets a horrific deal, remain will win in the 2nd ref and we'll remain, meaning the future of the EU isn't under threat?

I just don't see how he expects the EU to take him any more seriously than Boris or May when he's the only one that won't back whatever he comes back with
joshooooo5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for a laugh innit
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ecdysiastt)
Why should the EU give Corbyn the time of day if he wins and goes back to renegotiate a deal?

It'll be the 4th time a UK PM has asked the EU for a deal or ratification to a deal. Why on earth would they give Corbyn some miracle deal over what they gave Boris & May? Plus, why should they bother at all when they know that if Corbyn gets a horrific deal, remain will win in the 2nd ref and we'll remain, meaning the future of the EU isn't under threat?

I just don't see how he expects the EU to take him any more seriously than Boris or May when he's the only one that won't back whatever he comes back with
Brexit continues to be a stupid unworkable idea, news at 11.

AFAIK it's Labour policy to stay in the single market (and keep free movement), so if they got into power they'd presumably try and re-negotiate a new withdrawal agreement along those lines. Whether the EU will agree to that or not, I don't know. Whether the UK would vote for that kind of deal in a second referendum, nobody knows.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Labour party are a dream for the EU, and for remainers.

If you treat them as a party that wants to leave/respect the first referendum (both their claims previously) then yes, their party is a load of nonsense, it makes no sense and is a disaster.

But if you treat them as a party that wants to remain in the EU - then their policy is perfect and makes the world of sense. Its even better then the Lib dems (non-majority) proposal of a second referendum.

They are rigging a referendum to win either way, its brilliant if your a remainer.

1. you easily (and it will be easy) negotiate a deal with the EU that's remain in every way except name. The EU will easily agree because its exactly the arragenement they want (customs union, single market, free movement, etc.)
2. You put that deal to the public against remain in a referendum.. best case scenario we remain, worst case scenario we vote for the best deal a remainer could hope for.
3. No matter what wins, your happy, and you can claim for years after that we decided democratically and the people have spoken.

Its brilliant for remainers. Its also why they are going to get hammered in leave-seats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.2%
12.37%
12.37%
18.1%
23.14%
19.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise