The Student Room Group

Parametric help

A curve c has parametric equations x=sec^2(t)+1, y=2sin(t), -pi/4<=t<=pi/4
Show that a Cartesian equation of c is y=√[(8-4x)/(1-x)] for a suitable domain which should be stated.

How do you rearrange this?
Reply 1
Show that a Cartesian equation of c is y=√[(8-4x)/(1-x)] for a suitable domain which should be stated.
Original post by bongamin12

Note that sec2t\sec^2 t can be written in terms of cos2t\cos^2 t, which can be written in terms of sin2t\sin^2 t, which can be written in terms of yy. Hence eliminating the paramter tt between the two equations.
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Note that sec2t\sec^2 t can be written in terms of cos2t\cos^2 t, which can be written in terms of sin2t\sin^2 t, which can be written in terms of yy. Hence eliminating the paramter tt between the two equations.

I've tried rearranging for cos^2(t)+sin^2(t) = 1 which got me:
(1/x-1)+(y/2)^2=1
However i rearragned this to get y=√[(4x-8)/(x-1)]
I've tried rearranging for cos^2(t)+sin^2(t) = 1 which got me:
(1/x-1)+(y/2)^2=1
However i rearragned this to get y=√[(4x-8)/(x-1)]

Same thing. Note that

ab=ab\dfrac{a}{b} = \dfrac{-a}{-b}.
Reply 5
Same thing. Note that

ab=ab\dfrac{a}{b} = \dfrac{-a}{-b}.

Oh I should've been writing 1 as (-x-1)/(-x-1) correct ?
Oh I should've been writing 1 as (-x-1)/(-x-1) correct ?

No what I mean is that

4x8x1=(4x8)(x1)\dfrac{4x-8}{x-1} = \dfrac{-(4x-8)}{-(x-1)}
Reply 7
No what I mean is that

4x8x1=(4x8)(x1)\dfrac{4x-8}{x-1} = \dfrac{-(4x-8)}{-(x-1)}

Oh ok I understand now. because it is a common factor.Thank you for the help ! I'll remember to look out for common factors better next time.
Two general points. To be well prepared to tackle parametric equations you need to be very good at working with trig identities. Most students struggle quite a bit with these, so LOTS of practice with them is essential.

When you are asked to sketch a parametric curve, having a graphics display calculator can be a real godsend. Both the Casio fx-cg50 and the TI-Nspire CX will do a great job. They will also really help in many others ways that have nothing to do with graphs (eg. finding critical regions for hypothesis testing with binomial distributions).

Quick Reply

Latest