Reapplying to a university after I got rejected from the interview stage.

Watch
in24karat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey everyone,

I just got notice of my rejection from an engineering course that I really wanted as my firm choice, and realised that I don't really want any other course I applied for. I happened to apply to the same university for a materials science course and I received an offer for it but I can't decide if I should take this offer where I would potentially have less enthusiasm for the course compared to if I retook a year and risked it all to try get the course I want.

Would it hurt my chances to reapply after taking a gap year (assuming I got all the grades I needed this year and didn't have to resit any exams)?

Also, if I do decide to reapply, and I turn down the materials science offer I have now, would it be bad if I applied for the same materials science course next year? Considering the fact that they now know that in reality I want the engineering course and that the materials science one is sort of like my insurance.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by in24karat)
Hey everyone,

I just got notice of my rejection from an engineering course that I really wanted as my firm choice, and realised that I don't really want any other course I applied for. I happened to apply to the same university for a materials science course and I received an offer for it but I can't decide if I should take this offer where I would potentially have less enthusiasm for the course compared to if I retook a year and risked it all to try get the course I want.

Would it hurt my chances to reapply after taking a gap year (assuming I got all the grades I needed this year and didn't have to resit any exams)?

Also, if I do decide to reapply, and I turn down the materials science offer I have now, would it be bad if I applied for the same materials science course next year? Considering the fact that they now know that in reality I want the engineering course and that the materials science one is sort of like my insurance.
Write and get feedback from the university on the reason for rejection. Then ring up and speak to them about reapplying and whether that would risk them rejecting you for both courses (it won’t but I think you need to hear it from them!).

Universities don’t hold grudges.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (227)
61.02%
No (77)
20.7%
Not sure (68)
18.28%

Watched Threads