School trip, no friends

Watch
ayyyda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have a college trip to Rome for 3 nights, but I don't have any friends in my class and nor do I know anyone who is going. I already paid for it, so I can't not go. Can someone like... help? Give tips? I'm kinda isolated in my class, I don't sit with anyone and whoever is near me, I don't feel confident in talking to them.
lula7464
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
That's an awkward situation to be in - I can empathise.

The main thing, as uncomfortable as it will feel, is to just try to talk to someone. I tended to think of it as no one really cares what I do and so it's ok if it goes wrong or I embarrass myself. If you can try and start a conversation then that helps - someone else may be feeling the same way or just up for hanging out. As you said 'confident' in talking to them, I really think it's possible for that to change - once you get a positive reaction, you will feel empowered and more at ease with talking with someone else. I mean Rome is a pretty good talking point for a conversation!

Or, you can be alright with being on your own for a couple days. I have since becoming more outgoing etc but still love doing things on my own. It really is ok to go to the cinema on your own - I loved not sharing my popcorn but then also enjoy going with others. This can be applied to going away - I have traveled solo and came back much more confident for it and experienced things I wanted to and discovered things I wouldn't have otherwise.

It probably feels really daunting but you can have an amazing time, you just need to put yourself out there - whether that's with your classmates or going it solo.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help
ayyyda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by lula7464)
That's an awkward situation to be in - I can empathise.

The main thing, as uncomfortable as it will feel, is to just try to talk to someone. I tended to think of it as no one really cares what I do and so it's ok if it goes wrong or I embarrass myself. If you can try and start a conversation then that helps - someone else may be feeling the same way or just up for hanging out. As you said 'confident' in talking to them, I really think it's possible for that to change - once you get a positive reaction, you will feel empowered and more at ease with talking with someone else. I mean Rome is a pretty good talking point for a conversation!

Or, you can be alright with being on your own for a couple days. I have since becoming more outgoing etc but still love doing things on my own. It really is ok to go to the cinema on your own - I loved not sharing my popcorn but then also enjoy going with others. This can be applied to going away - I have traveled solo and came back much more confident for it and experienced things I wanted to and discovered things I wouldn't have otherwise.

It probably feels really daunting but you can have an amazing time, you just need to put yourself out there - whether that's with your classmates or going it solo.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help
Thank you! I am actually planning on going up to someone who will be in the same room as me, and just asking if I can hang out with them because my friend who was supposed to come couldn't (a lie, but I would be too embarrassed to say I have no friends ngl). I wouldn't mind going solo to it, but my teacher said we must stay in groups of around 4, so it's not really a choice for me. And I get that, I also sometimes like going out by myself - most of the time when I go to town or the cinema, I'm also by myself. But I guess that because this is a different setting, with people I have to stay for 2 years, it makes me anxious of what they may think. Thank you so much!
isletofLangerCan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi there,

I can understand while you feel nervous about the trip but just a few things to remember;
You are definitely not the only person feeling anxious about the trip, definitely will be other people who haven’t many friends on the trip who would want to hang out with you.

I have been on a few of these trips and they often help to make new friends. This is a nice time and everyone will be cheerful and relaxed.
Shared memories and lots to talk about.

The trip is only 3 nights, this is such a short time. On the off chance you don’t have a great time you’ll be home before you know it.
Try and relax and enjoy the city. 😊
ayyyda
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
The trip is next week, and this greatly helped me! Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads