The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mobb_theprequel
I don't actually have a problem with feminism, in its truest form; but when it manifests itself in typical (and frankly predictable) overreactions to innocuous, everyday institutions - then I start to lose patience, very quickly: many teenage girls like to immerse themselves in soapbox feminism - changing their name to Ms; flirting with the idea of lesbianism; hero(ine)-worshipping everything with a vagina that ever dared to differ; belittling the big, bad masculine oppressor...

I find the whole thing rather tedious.

...and getting engaged to their boyfriends just so they can be different
Reply 61
frost105
Nope wouldnt have a wedding party. Just be me and the boyf in Bali (or someone equally fabulous) at the ceremony. And we would have these bands in platinum engraved with our names and the date.

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/wedband_lucida.asp?

Well, hate to break it to you, but if you wear a wedding ring, people tend to know you're married.
sublime_envy
my mums a lady but it doesnt mean anything these days. You can buy the title for a few grand.

awesome. Lady Knox-Harper of Templeton.Loving it.
Reply 63
Ellie4
Well, hate to break it to you, but if you wear a wedding ring, people tend to know you're married.

I dont mind people knowing I am if they see me but I dont want it to be something associated with my name and having someone somewhere placing me in the marriage box
Reply 64
sublime_envy
...and getting engaged to their boyfriends just so they can be different

Mind you evetyone is doing it these days it doesnt really make them different anymore :tongue:
Reply 65
frost105
I dont mind people knowing I am if they see me but I dont want it to be something associated with my name and having someone somewhere placing me in the marriage box

Right ok. So you don't mind if someone knows you're married just by looking at you, but they can't associate that with your name without seeing you?
so you wouldn't take your husbands name? I am going to be traditional again but I think thats quite odd. My fiance asked if Im keeping my name and I was really offended.
Reply 67
my uni have put Ms down on my application form so ALL of my uni stuff is like that...strange seeing as i put down miss on the form :tongue: they must know something i dont :biggrin::biggrin:
frost105
Mind you evetyone is doing it these days it doesnt really make them different anymore :tongue:

yes true one girl I know has been engaged 3 times and she is 16. Its so sad.
Reply 69
sublime_envy
so you wouldn't take your husbands name? I am going to be traditional again but I think thats quite odd. My fiance asked if Im keeping my name and I was really offended.

Yep and the children will have my name too.
Reply 70
Ellie4
Right ok. So you don't mind if someone knows you're married just by looking at you, but they can't associate that with your name without seeing you?

Yeah-odd i know but my name is something I feel really strongly about.
Reply 71
frost105
Yeah-odd i know but my name is something I feel really strongly about.

Okie dokie :smile:
sublime_envy

I would barrel my name, but that would mean i would have a treble barreled surename.Eeeek thats a bit much.
hmmm personally I am quite an independent person and I am very proud of my last name and its roots in Scotland. My family goes back a hell of a long way. My fiance has a horrible plain name and has no history and doesn't really care. But I will still take his name because I don't think it comprimses who I am, it just shows that I am connected to someone else.
Reply 74
Ellie4
Okie dokie :smile:

I said it was odd! :biggrin:
frost105
Yep and the children will have my name too.

wouldnt the father object?
Ellie4

The whole thing seems 100% illogical to me - and it reminds me of my mother: on the one hand she craves her feminine identity (through the use of Ms. and such on bank statements and at work - Ms. is rather 'fashionable' in academia); and yet when it suits her (i.e. in situations where she doesn't want to be [mistakenly] viewed as a single-mother) - she'll use her marital name.

I can't stand this highly adaptable, pragmatic take on feminism.
if that makes sense. though saying that my mother kept her name and my and my siblings have my traditional name through my mothers side.
Reply 78
mobb_theprequel
The whole thing seems 100% illogical to me - and it reminds me of my mother: on the one hand she craves her feminine identity (through the use of Ms. and such on bank statements and at work - Ms. is rather 'fashionable' in academia); and yet when it suits her (i.e. in situations where she doesn't want to be [mistakenly] viewed as a single-mother) - she'll use her marital name.

I can't stand this highly adaptable, pragmatic take on feminism.

Nor can I. I think if a woman needs to exert her independence through things as meaningless as titles, she has issues.
Reply 79
sublime_envy
hmmm personally I am quite an independent person and I am very proud of my last name and its roots in Scotland. My family goes back a hell of a long way. My fiance has a horrible plain name and has no history and doesn't really care. But I will still take his name because I don't think it comprimses who I am, it just shows that I am connected to someone else.

And thats good if your happy with that.
I've changed my name once when my parents got divorced as I didnt want a different name to my mum and now I'm the last Gilderode in the line and want to pass on my name to my children so want to keep it. I also feel really strongly attached to my name now and really dont want to change it gain.

maybe the boyf will take my name! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending