The Student Room Group

biology

can some one please help me out with what to write for this question please I am stuck?

Q1 Why is it important that ligaments are only able to stretch by a limited amount?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kayleejarv24
can some one please help me out with what to write for this question please I am stuck?

Q1. Bones are held together by ligaments. Why is it important that ligaments are only able to stretch by a limited amount?

Dislocation of bones could occur

Q1. Bones are held together by ligaments. Why is it important that ligaments are only able to stretch by a limited amount?

What exam board are you doing?
Reply 3

Q1 Why is it important that ligaments are only able to stretch by a limited amount?

Think, what is the purpose of ligaments. They stabilise joints. If joints were too stretchy, joints would be unstable potentially leading to dislocations. In fact, this is what happens in people who are ‘double jointed’, there ligaments are too lax and so they are hyper-mobile.
thank you I have done it but thanks for the help.
Original post by Jpw1097
Think, what is the purpose of ligaments. They stabilise joints. If joints were too stretchy, joints would be unstable potentially leading to dislocations. In fact, this is what happens in people who are ‘double jointed’, there ligaments are too lax and so they are hyper-mobile.

yep, exactly
Thank you 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending