Law at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge

Watch this thread
webb333
Badges: 3
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As a second year studying Law at Caius, I wanted to dispel some of the myths surrounding studying law at Caius. My experience at the college has been great. We have really wonderful Directors of Studies who really care about you as an individual and who provide you with as much help as you need (including mental health support and advice about stress). There are also two scholarships of £4K per year (so £12k by the end of your degree) that go to the top two law students at interview (I receive one of these) and we are the only college to offer an academic scholarship for law.
Lots of firms visit us and do dinners (Including Slaughter & May, HSF, and Milbank) so you get to meet partners from the firm, and we have also had barristers events in the past.
The community spirit amongst the lawyers at Caius is great and everyone helps one another which isn’t the case at every college. We have even done lawyers pizza nights in the past.
The library is the best in Cambridge and has a huge amount of law books.
We definitely are a really strong College for the study of law.
That is all I have to say other than please consider applying to Gonville & Caius if you want to study law.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
chase22
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,
I’ve already got an offer to study Law from Gonville and Caius and am now waiting on my A-Level grades because of the Covid situation. Hopefully, I’ll meet my offer as I’m really looking forward to going there. I had a couple of questions I hoped you might be able to answer:
1.Is there any suggested preparatory reading that I can be doing before I start?
2.What are some of the books you were advised to get during your first term/first year and would you advise someone in my position to start reading a bit of that material now?
3.How did you find your first year at Caius doing law, was it stressful?
Hope you’re doing okay,
Thanks.
Last edited by chase22; 1 year ago
webb333
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by chase22)
Hi there,
I’ve already got an offer to study Law from Gonville and Caius and am now waiting on my A-Level grades because of the Covid situation. Hopefully, I’ll meet my offer as I’m really looking forward to going there. I had a couple of questions I hoped you might be able to answer:
1.Is there any suggested preparatory reading that I can be doing before I start?
2.What are some of the books you were advised to get during your first term/first year and would you advise someone in my position to start reading a bit of that material now?
3.How did you find your first year at Caius doing law, was it stressful?
Hope you’re doing okay,
Thanks.
Hello, congratulations on your offer to study law at Caius! You're definitely coming to one of the best Colleges to study law. We're an amazing community and we are all very friendly. In terms of preparatory reading, I would recommend taking a look at constitutional law. This is a subject that is particularly important in first year but also very interesting. Mark Elliott, Faculty Chair at Cambridge, has a website called Public Law for Everyone which I cannot recommend enough. The textbook that is most commonly used at Cambridge is: Public Law by Mark Elliott and Robert Thomas (please wait for the new edition to be released if you intend to buy this as you can then use it for the duration of your studies). I wouldn't worry too much about making notes, but instead get to grips with key concepts around the Sources of the UK constitution and Parliamentary Sovereignty as this will help you a lot. Again please don't worry if it all seems too complicated at this stage, that is completely natural! The lectures are what really help you put the concepts into plain English and the lecturers are very good at breaking it down into the key points. Additionally, I thoroughly recommend "How to Write Law Essays & Exams" by S I Strong (5th Edition) because it teaches you everything from how to take good law notes, what to focus on, how to write good supervision essays and how to best prepare for the exams. If I had read this book in first year, it would have been so helpful.

My first year at Cambridge has got to be one of the best years of my life. There's no doubt that studying Law is at times stressful, there are the occasional late night essays or panics that you don't understand things before the supervision but this shouldn't put you off at all. The Caius academics (Jens, Kate, Rumiana and Louise) are the friendliest people and will do anything they can to help you and put your mind at ease. We are lucky to have, in my opinion, the best academics in the law faculty!

More than anything, please use this summer to unwind, relax, learn about yourself, take up new hobbies or anything that makes you happy. Cambridge, in the words of our Master Pippa Rogerson, is more than just about academia, it is about shaping you into well rounded people.

Best Wishes and Good Luck.
Please feel free to ask me any questions whenever and if you want to see what I get up to, follow @CambTweetLaw on Twitter.
chase22
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by webb333)
Hello, congratulations on your offer to study law at Caius! You're definitely coming to one of the best Colleges to study law. We're an amazing community and we are all very friendly. In terms of preparatory reading, I would recommend taking a look at constitutional law. This is a subject that is particularly important in first year but also very interesting. Mark Elliott, Faculty Chair at Cambridge, has a website called Public Law for Everyone which I cannot recommend enough. The textbook that is most commonly used at Cambridge is: Public Law by Mark Elliott and Robert Thomas (please wait for the new edition to be released if you intend to buy this as you can then use it for the duration of your studies). I wouldn't worry too much about making notes, but instead get to grips with key concepts around the Sources of the UK constitution and Parliamentary Sovereignty as this will help you a lot. Again please don't worry if it all seems too complicated at this stage, that is completely natural! The lectures are what really help you put the concepts into plain English and the lecturers are very good at breaking it down into the key points. Additionally, I thoroughly recommend "How to Write Law Essays & Exams" by S I Strong (5th Edition) because it teaches you everything from how to take good law notes, what to focus on, how to write good supervision essays and how to best prepare for the exams. If I had read this book in first year, it would have been so helpful.

My first year at Cambridge has got to be one of the best years of my life. There's no doubt that studying Law is at times stressful, there are the occasional late night essays or panics that you don't understand things before the supervision but this shouldn't put you off at all. The Caius academics (Jens, Kate, Rumiana and Louise) are the friendliest people and will do anything they can to help you and put your mind at ease. We are lucky to have, in my opinion, the best academics in the law faculty!

More than anything, please use this summer to unwind, relax, learn about yourself, take up new hobbies or anything that makes you happy. Cambridge, in the words of our Master Pippa Rogerson, is more than just about academia, it is about shaping you into well rounded people.

Best Wishes and Good Luck.
Please feel free to ask me any questions whenever and if you want to see what I get up to, follow @CambTweetLaw on Twitter.
Hi,
Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply. The advice on the books is gratefully received – the one on how to write legal essays sounds especially useful. The academics sound great, I’m so glad I have chosen Caius.

Concerning lectures, do you think it will make a big difference that they will be online next year? The ending of your second year must have been strange to say the least – did you end up having exams or did the faculty decide to cancel them?

I’m wondering what Harvey Court and the Stephen Hawking building are like? Is one better than the other, or are they pretty similar? I’m sure it’s very convenient that they’re right next to the Law faculty building. Is there much time in the evenings for people to catch up with the heavy workload that there must be?

Also, did you get involved in much sports during your first year? I hear most people giving rowing a go. Lastly, what are the college’s gym and sports facilities like and are they close to the accommodation?

By the way, really important question – what is the food really like?

Thanks.
Last edited by chase22; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads