Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so i got a 2:2 for my biomedical science degree and i have appplied for a couple universities to do courses related to Public Health. I am considering doing a PhD mainly cos i am interested in the Public health/Health policy field, i was just wondering how difficult/easy is it to gain admission to a PhD program in a public health related field?

ReputationRep:
    Masters degree first?

ReputationRep:
    With a 2:2 in your graduate degree, I tihnk it'll be quite difficult (to get funding, at least) without a masters degree, as per Tomber's suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i am doing a masters first (hopefully). I am just hoping i gain admission into my school of choice.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people go on to do PhDs after 2.2s + postgrad masters, in the sciences anyway.

ReputationRep:
    are you changing to a new field? if so, your undergrad classification may matter less if your masters performance is strong (which it can be), but funding is an issue if its only a social science-based research project you are interested in because research councils (esrc) require a 2.1. minimum. i learnt that natural science phds are typically funded, but social science and arts/humanities rarely are - they are simply not as profitable so less cash is around.

ReputationRep:
    Does Public Health/ Social Policy count as social science or science?

ReputationRep:
    policy research is social science, not natural science, even though the policies may relate to the empirical biomedical.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentr...cePageId=18260

ReputationRep:
    As you are going to switch field than if you can get onto a masters then you'll probably stand a chance as having the biomedical knowledge at any level will probably be desirable for certain projects.

ReputationRep:
    that type of knowledge can be very scant amongst social scientists

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool. BTW can i get maintenance grants for a Masters?

ReputationRep:
    if it's a research training masters, then yes (without this you won't be able to apply for esrc funding)

ReputationRep:
    Are there any other sources of fudning i can get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleeper)
    Are there any other sources of fudning i can get?
    There are usually departmental scholarships and often university grants too. There may be other charities etc that fund in your subject. The best thing is to have a google and see what comes up.

ReputationRep:
    All of the scholarship and such seemed to be of little help. Do any of you lot have any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleeper)
    All of the scholarship and such seemed to be of little help. Do any of you lot have any recommendations?
    Other than the sources of funding I've just suggested, bank loans.

ReputationRep:
    get a job (perhaps within a university)

ReputationRep:
    Get a career development loan and get a job and pay your way through a masters. Then you'll be eligible for funding. Loads of people on these forums got 2.2s and have done a postgrad masters and are now doing PhDs or have places to start in October.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a job is hard. If i could work two shifts i would but now i am looking for work and a lot of the agencies are full!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.