Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There was a discussion on the radio on whether Maggie Thatcher should get a state funeral.
    A guy from South Wales rang saying he hated her for causing the pits to close, then admitted he was glad he and others didn't have to work down them anymore, he was still coughing up black stuff months later.
    Left to the Unions he would still be there, or sick.

Is anyone here from Notts, Yorks or other former mining areas?

Have you heard your parents / grand-parents contradict themselves?

In today's benefit culture I reckon thousands would be on sickness benefit now anyway, the pits would probably be full of East Europeans.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from County Durham which was a pit community and I've only ever heard bad things about the pits closing, long-term I imagine it was best - but short term it lead to immediate poverty in the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    I'm from County Durham which was a pit community and I've only ever heard bad things about the pits closing, long-term I imagine it was best - but short term it lead to immediate poverty in the area.
    This. Contradiction is a bit inevitable because people had pretty much no choice but to work in the pits from a young age in most cases. They would have ended up ill anyway (not that it was really known to what extent at the time) but instead they ended up ill and immediately jobless. Plus after doing that all your life, you're useless to other employers.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but it ruined the economy and general community where I live, people are still understandably ouchy about it.

About the state funeral thing I dunno, I'm indifferent to it because it was before my time. What my gradnfather would say though, I don't know.

More miffed about the National Assembly commissioning a big-ass tin scultpure of Maggie Thatcher and put it on display in the Assembly. Considering she did more to hinder the Welsh people and opposed devolution, I really don't get what they were thinking there. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    Im from the valleys, but none of my family worked down the pits. I think there is a real hatred of Thatcher around where I live, and tens of thousands of people who will never vote Tory, until they die, no matter how crap other parties (LABOUR!!!). the area economically is far worse off, with loads of people on the dole. The miners didnt like working down the mines, but the reality was that they were all far better off than now.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.