Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subtle_aurora)
    That's exactly how it feels. I'm so glad I'm not alone...
    27 days now, which is a lot less than some people but 6 weeks is the longest we've had to go in a long time.
    Ah that sucks! Just think, if you add up the times you've both been a bit frustrated and maybe not been that nice to each other... that adds up to a lot of make-up sex :P Heh heh. Jokes aside, I know it's difficult to be positive when you're feeling lonely (I'm being such a hypocrite here!), but you just have to hold on to the thought of your next meeting, and it'll get you through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anyone in the same situation, other half at uni? What is the best thing a bf can do whilst u r at uni???

Ive been told i need to just relax, stop the calling and texting and accept the reltionship has changed. Do you reckon??
    Hey. I went to uni for about 6 weeks. (Don't laugh...long story). My boyfriend and I had already been in a LDR for 8 months, and me going to uni actually brough us all of 50 miles closer. But I can tell you, it did *not* feel like that for either of us. It was awful. He worried about me, not knowing where I was, wanting me to be getting on ok. I worried about him worrying about me. He became very protective - we'd speak on MSN in the evenings and as a result I'd end up not hanging out with my flatmates or whatever, which inevitably led to resentment.

But, through it all, I genuinely appreciated knowing that he was always at the end of the phone. Please don't stop calling and texting your girlfriend, but if you're getting messages that she just needs an evening to do things, let her. I'm not saying you're not, but there's a fine line between caring/supportive and clingy. Don't throw it away though, you'll get through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    Ah that sucks! Just think, if you add up the times you've both been a bit frustrated and maybe not been that nice to each other... that adds up to a lot of make-up sex :P Heh heh. Jokes aside, I know it's difficult to be positive when you're feeling lonely (I'm being such a hypocrite here!), but you just have to hold on to the thought of your next meeting, and it'll get you through
    :yep: lol. Thank you! I get butterflies just thinking about our next few days together, so it's definitely keeping me going.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by curryADD)
    we are really happy. and very few people (understandably) expect me to be married. we've been together for just over two years, and we both knew that if it was ever going to stop being an LDR we had to get married. so, we did! and i'm so happy! sometimes i get funny looks when i tell people because i'm pretty ridiculously young to be married (19) and i'm still at university but we're incredibly serious about each other...he's my absolute other half!

*rambles on more* (he's sooooooo wonderful) la da da, la da da!

and i wouldn't compare relationships, being apart from someone for two weeks is still really hard, and even worse, you're always switching emotional states. one week, ecstatic, the next, lonely as hell. i think this is a bit better because it allows me to stabilize how i feel inbetween.

anyway, i really love him. :p:
    Aww, that's really sweet! To be honest I think if you love each other It doesnt matter what age you are. As you said.. (im not married so its not exactly the same but..), people have came upto me saying "Ahh you and Josh wont be together forever so why worry about him going to uni..." Etc,. It's not like that, I think if your serious about someone at the time and think it will last then thats your personal opinion. If your happy and your husband is then it doesn't matter how old you are, and you do sound very happy.

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head, it is hard.. One minute im happy because he's either home or coming home, next he's going or gone and i'm an emotional wreck. It's not depressing as such, but in a way it is, it's like you dont know what emotional state to be in as your always changing. Im finding that when he's gone, I hold back a little and be a little quiet. Yet when we're together Im quite..a full on girlfriend.
    He was a little frustrated at the weekend, saying im not 'very kissy' etc towards him when we're together, but to be honest im finding it hard being away from him, and then with him and all of sudden being 'full on' in that sense.. Like with kissing etc. Thats the thing I personally feel im finding the hardest..well that and letting him go when its time to leave!

Lol, sounds like we could both ramble on about the boys! :o:

You sound like you have a good balance of emotion when hes gone.

/ramble! Sorry for talking too much!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :yep: lol. Thank you! I get butterflies just thinking about our next few days together, so it's definitely keeping me going.
    Oh god I get that.. When it gets to about 3/4 days before he's coming home I get like a little kid again waiting for Santa!
    :rolleyes:
    The butterflies start fluttering and im all over the place with excitment!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    Funny you should say that (And HEY again!)..
    As I said in my post to curry..

Im finding this hard, like to adapt from not seeing him at all and not having a 'physical' relationship when I dont with him.. To then when I do see him go onto a full blown physical relationship. He got a little funny at the weekend, saying im not 'kissy etc..(wont go into detail!).. anymore when we're together' and asked if I was seeing anyone else.! Im not, but im finding it hard to like change from one to another and when I do spend my time with him I feel like ive met him all over again and feel a little nervous.

So, the make-up sex.. is..well... Non existent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    Aww, that's really sweet! To be honest I think if you love each other It doesnt matter what age you are. As you said.. (im not married so its not exactly the same but..), people have came upto me saying "Ahh you and Josh wont be together forever so why worry about him going to uni..." Etc,. It's not like that, I think if your serious about someone at the time and think it will last then thats your personal opinion. If your happy and your husband is then it doesn't matter how old you are, and you do sound very happy.

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head, it is hard.. One minute im happy because he's either home or coming home, next he's going or gone and i'm an emotional wreck. It's not depressing as such, but in a way it is, it's like you dont know what emotional state to be in as your always changing. Im finding that when he's gone, I hold back a little and be a little quiet. Yet when we're together Im quite..a full on girlfriend.
    He was a little frustrated at the weekend, saying im not 'very kissy' etc towards him when we're together, but to be honest im finding it hard being away from him, and then with him and all of sudden being 'full on' in that sense.. Like with kissing etc. Thats the thing I personally feel im finding the hardest..well that and letting him go when its time to leave!

Lol, sounds like we could both ramble on about the boys! :o:

You sound like you have a good balance of emotion when hes gone.

/ramble! Sorry for talking too much!
    I know what you mean about the switch off. Martin and I lived together over may, but I lived with my parents during the summer. My father is probably one of the pushiest people alive, and was always putting down Martin (although he had never met him) and was saying he was "using me" etc. when he knew literally nothing about our relationship. I don't know why it affected me in the way that it did, but when Martin first got back I felt like couldn't be full on around him, and that if I was, it would just hurt more when he had to leave. After a few days I got over it, but it was kind of trying...

We are going to last together! Martin and I are both Christians (he's roman catholic and i'm a presbyterian) and we discussed before we got married how serious our vows were to ourselves. Both of us take marriage as a sacrament pretty seriously, and it's not like we even really go to church regularly or anything....but we just see it as a promise that shouldn't really be broken unless there's a really good reason. If we have any problems in the future, we already have an action plan....marriage counseling :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im finding this hard, like to adapt from not seeing him at all and not having a 'physical' relationship when I dont with him.. To then when I do see him go onto a full blown physical relationship. He got a little funny at the weekend, saying im not 'kissy etc..(wont go into detail!).. anymore when we're together' and asked if I was seeing anyone else.! Im not, but im finding it hard to like change from one to another and when I do spend my time with him I feel like ive met him all over again and feel a little nervous.
    I'm the same, really. When we're together it's sort of like constant... not like that but if we're walking together we might as well look together, or if we're watching something we might as well sit in the middle of the sofa rather than on separate sides... :rolleyes: It takes me a little while to readjust to being like this. It's so much worse when I go home though. I just feel like a part of me is missing, both mentally and phsyically. And my bed suddenly feels far too big when he's not there to steal the duvet.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I know what you mean about the switch off. Martin and I lived together over may, but I lived with my parents during the summer. My father is probably one of the pushiest people alive, and was always putting down Martin (although he had never met him) and was saying he was "using me" etc. when he knew literally nothing about our relationship. I don't know why it affected me in the way that it did, but when Martin first got back I felt like couldn't be full on around him, and that if I was, it would just hurt more when he had to leave. After a few days I got over it, but it was kind of trying...

We are going to last together! Martin and I are both Christians (he's roman catholic and i'm a presbyterian) and we discussed before we got married how serious our vows were to ourselves. Both of us take marriage as a sacrament pretty seriously, and it's not like we even really go to church regularly or anything....but we just see it as a promise that shouldn't really be broken unless there's a really good reason. If we have any problems in the future, we already have an action plan....marriage counseling :p:
    Ahh, dads! Why are they like that? Mine just shuts Josh out, says hello when he needs to, asks him for help when he needs it, but apart from that, the communication between them both is zilch! Josh gets so worried!
    Your dad was probabily just worried about his little girl though :o:

Aww, see you two are so made for each other! How did you meet?! I'm a sucker for romantic stories! Is he leaving the military in May? I bet your so excited!

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, really. When we're together it's sort of like constant... not like that but if we're walking together we might as well look together, or if we're watching something we might as well sit in the middle of the sofa rather than on separate sides... :rolleyes: It takes me a little while to readjust to being like this. It's so much worse when I go home though. I just feel like a part of me is missing, both mentally and phsyically. And my bed suddenly feels far too big when he's not there to steal the duvet.
    I know exactly how you feel. First morning without Martin in three months. I feel overly large in my house, and the bed is too big, and he's not in the bathroom taking up the sink.....and he wasn't there to kiss me in the morning and say 'hi cuddlebear, how's my lady?". my stomach honestly hurts. i feel all alone.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh don't , your getting me emotional and wanting a hug off him now! It's so annoying, I can't watch romantic movies on my own anymore, I just cry! I cried at a bloody soap the other day!

Yeah, We're the same, if we're walking together we have our arms round each other as tight as we can, and if we sit with each other he puts him arm round me.

When he goes home I just feel odd, I dont quite know how to describe it to be honest, its this feeling, that, im alone and i do feel extremly lonely and like I just want to run back to him..

I don't know what I'd do if we broke up! I dont want to think about that..

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, dads! Why are they like that? Mine just shuts Josh out, says hello when he needs to, asks him for help when he needs it, but apart from that, the communication between them both is zilch! Josh gets so worried!
    Your dad was probabily just worried about his little girl though :o:

Aww, see you two are so made for each other! How did you meet?! I'm a sucker for romantic stories! Is he leaving the military in May? I bet your so excited!
    The only thing my dad worries about, honestly, is having a perfect little girl to brag about to his coworkers. We met in montreal, I flew there over spring break when I was seventeen because I was bored with America. I actually met him in a coffee shop, I walked by, spotted him in the window, and just had this incredibly strange feeling. I literally remember thinking something like, "This person is going to change my life." There wasn't anything overtly sexual about the feeling, it wasn't like I was thinking about jumping his pants or anything. But I went inside, bought a coffee, and introduced myself. As it turns out, he was doing a paper on existentialism and christianity, two of my favourite subjects (to discuss academically). Anyway, we started talking, and for some reason I just felt like right away I could tell him anything.

I ended up not staying at my hotel that week. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't , your getting me emotional and wanting a hug off him now! It's so annoying, I can't watch romantic movies on my own anymore, I just cry! I cried at a bloody soap the other day!

Yeah, We're the same, if we're walking together we have our arms round each other as tight as we can, and if we sit with each other he puts him arm round me.

When he goes home I just feel odd, I dont quite know how to describe it to be honest, its this feeling, that, im alone and i do feel extremly lonely and like I just want to run back to him..

:hugs: I know exactly how you feel. I cried at a coffee cup yesterday that I knew was his the day before. And I cried at my pack of cigarettes. And I cried.....and cried. I woke up this morning and I just feel so empty. The phone rang and I thought it was him but it was a telemarketer.

Getting all of this out feels great!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I know exactly how you feel. First morning without Martin in three months. I feel overly large in my house, and the bed is too big, and he's not in the bathroom taking up the sink.....and he wasn't there to kiss me in the morning and say 'hi cuddlebear, how's my lady?". my stomach honestly hurts. i feel all alone.
    Oh don't, im blubbering! - I miss him more now, maybe this board isnt so good for me after all!

He's not even going to be here on our anniversery.. Yeah we're suckers and say "happy year and -- months" every month. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't, im blubbering! - I miss him more now, maybe this board isnt so good for me after all!

He's not even going to be here on our anniversery.. Yeah we're suckers and say "happy year and -- months" every month. :o:
    That's so cute! Martin doesn't do that :mad: Maybe I'll print out the thread and wave it around as a battle flag for examples of good boyfriend behavior. (teehee)

(Martin is actually really wonderful, he cooks and does the dishes)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :hugs: I know exactly how you feel. I cried at a coffee cup yesterday that I knew was his the day before. And I cried at my pack of cigarettes. And I cried.....and cried. I woke up this morning and I just feel so empty. The phone rang and I thought it was him but it was a telemarketer.

Getting all of this out feels great!
    God I know, Im going to get it all out now!!
    I hate it when a sodding telemarketer rings and you jump up thinking it's the boy.. and you hear this stupid man/woman say "Can i persuade you to buy.." and you feel like crying!

I cried at the most stupid thing the other day, I can't remember exactly what is was, I think I was just randomly having a shower..saw something of his and broke down. or when I wear his t-shirt to bed and pull it over my head and as I do I smell him, and *WAHHH*..

Or, I see a couple in the street being full on and making out and he's not with me.. I hate those couples who do it when they should know my boys not with me!!

Oh god, there's more, but i really should /rant now!

ReputationRep:
    I can't either. There's one sitcom we've taken to watching when we're together and even hearing the theme tune is enough to set me off at the moment.

Neither do I. :sad:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That's so cute! Martin doesn't do that :mad: Maybe I'll print out the thread and wave it around as a battle flag for examples of good boyfriend behavior. (teehee)

(Martin is actually really wonderful, he cooks and does the dishes)
    Lol! I must admit, he is good..
    This weekend I got changed from my sixth-form uniform and chucked it in my case on his floor and he picked it up and folded it and hung my coat up.. Is this normal:p:

:O oo, that's good if a man does the cooking and the dishes! They need commitment to do that!

Josh will cook, go to wash the pots, shout me (Im always on TSR) and keep shouting, lol, I walk out and he's drying already. Wel... It's addictive!

Whats the most romantic thing your boy does?

ReputationRep:

It was my 18 months anniversary on Saturday and James was still in Scotland he sent me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers though and it was a complete surprise. He was so sweet all day though, oh and it was lovely
    Obviously it would have been so much better if he'd been here but he really did everything he could and it just made me melt inside :love:

ReputationRep:
    Whats the most romantic thing your boy does?
    Sorry, I'm going to answer too... You know when you're kind of half asleep, listening to them breathing, floating away to wherever, then suddenly open your eyes and he's looking at you, just smiling a little?

There was one time I was really upset about something (ok, more than one time) and he had a tissue trying to keep control of the tears...

I'd better stop! There are so many things I could list. :o:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.