Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    I'd never hate you Cutiepie!! :P

I do talk about it, with friends and my ma... I know that doesn't count. I try talking to him about it, but it makes him go all monosyllabic and awkward. I'd rather not, really, as I really don't need him thinking I'm going on at him!
    Thanks hehe!

Hmm, yeah, as soon as even mention something to Josh that i'm not happy with he gets all annoyed and starts moaning that I'm having a go etc. Why do guys think that?

Write him a letter, just post it and don't mention it, leave it to him to mention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    I've just read about your situation and it really does suck Luckily my boy is really good at communicating and we said before he went that if we had a problem, not matter how small then we'd talk it through.

If I was in your situation I'd do something really rash like just suddenly turn up on his doorstep
    I think it's unfair of him to act like he is doing. If he becomes monosyllabic then maybe writing him a letter would be a more effect way of communicating with him?

That's a good idea... I'll definitely think about it! Jack's not a communicator... he is better face to face, but not much!! He's a very sensitive, sweet guy, but he doesn't like being asked to talk about how he feels... and he can never be pinned down to anything. I had to plan his family's new year for them because they're so bad at making plans etc!!
    By the way, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a bit at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea... I'll definitely think about it! Jack's not a communicator... he is better face to face, but not much!! He's a very sensitive, sweet guy, but he doesn't like being asked to talk about how he feels... and he can never be pinned down to anything. I had to plan his family's new year for them because they're so bad at making plans etc!!
    By the way, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a bit at the moment.
    The thread is an advice thread isn't it so you may as well clog it up and get as much advice as you can

Like Sian said, write him the letter and don't tell him until he's got it and then see how he reacts and whether he brings it up. That way he'll be able to read it and work it out in his head and get back to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    Yeah I guess so but he's told me he needs to stop spending so much on travel so i'm thinking it's going to be once a month which will kill me. Howcome your going to be so close soon?
    Ahh your not sad, just in love :love:
    Oh dear Once a month'll be pretty rubbish :hugs:
    Well I move to England for uni in September And he moved back last year (we both used to live in Spain), so we'll be in the same country and argh it'll be amazing. I can't WAIT!! I only really realised today that it is actually quite soon that I move back, and that we're more or less halfway there, so I'm quite excited hehe.
    Hahaha thank you for not thinking I'm sad :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by happy watermelon)
    Oh dear Once a month'll be pretty rubbish :hugs:
    Well I move to England for uni in September And he moved back last year (we both used to live in Spain), so we'll be in the same country and argh it'll be amazing. I can't WAIT!! I only really realised today that it is actually quite soon that I move back, and that we're more or less halfway there, so I'm quite excited hehe.
    Hahaha thank you for not thinking I'm sad :p:
    I just broke down crying on the phone to him because I wanted him to be here for my birthday and for the tuesday because Ive organised a friends meal for my birthday. He's so un-bloody organised and I got mad and just started sobbing down the phone! I tried to hide it with the "I have a runny nose" story I always use!

Men

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly how I feel. And it makes me feel so alone!

Yeah I have spoken to him about it a couple of times, but I think I'll leave it a little while... he's only just gone back to uni, so I'm going to wait for him to start missing me... that's in the hope that he will. ARGH, this is all so weird. I never doubted anything to do with Jack before. I know I do a lot of moaning and complaining on this board, so you guys only hear the bad stuff, but I do really love him, and we normally get on fine, just chatting and laughing together on Skype etc. Most of my problems on here are just the things going on in my head!

That's so awesome. Its sounds like you guys are pretty secure in your relationship at the moment anyway, so don't worry too much about what will happen when he goes to uni... worrying will drive you maaaaaaaad!
    :eek3: :woo: :bawling: :laughing: :rant: :bootyshake2:
    (the above is a representation of my current mindframe!!)
    Firstly, you're not alone 'cos I'm the same I thought I was alone too but yaaaaay I'm not!

Secondly, I know what you mean about the problems being stuff in your head. I seem to manage to make a problem out of everything as I seriously overthink things hehe. And I remember the goodbye before last in October, I told Alex the next day on Skype that I missed him, and he told me (a very bad move) that he didn't miss me but might do the next week or something. Cue lots of crying from me. Guys are so silly and I think Alex didn't even consider that I would get upset by that, nor that I do need to know when he misses me :p: He had a very bad habit of just saying nothing... But this time he flew back and the same day he arrived on Skype he told me he missed me like crazy, which made me feel soooo much better Anyway the point is that I bet Jack really misses you, he'd just male and doesn't mention it

Thirdly, yeah, I'm trying not to think so far ahead and just look forward to being in the same country again. From there I can start worrying about other stuff hehe

ReputationRep:
    I just broke down crying on the phone to him because I wanted him to be here for my birthday and for the tuesday because Ive organised a friends meal for my birthday. He's so un-bloody organised and I got mad and just started sobbing down the phone! I tried to hide it with the "I have a runny nose" story I always use!

Men
    Oh no, poor you :hugs: Men are so ridiculously unorganised! Why can't they just get their bloody acts together!!! Is he coming for your birthday and the tuesday then or not?
    And awww at the runny nose excuse :hugs:. I always try that but Alex can unfortunately always tell when I'm crying and even sometimes thinks I'm crying when I'm actually not which is really annoying!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh no, poor you :hugs: Men are so ridiculously unorganised! Why can't they just get their bloody acts together!!! Is he coming for your birthday and the tuesday then or not?
    And awww at the runny nose excuse :hugs:. I always try that but Alex can unfortunately always tell when I'm crying and even sometimes thinks I'm crying when I'm actually not which is really annoying!
    :hugs: Thanks! I don't know, he says he will but then he suddenly burst out with "Im not coming Saturday Im spending that with my dad, and im annoyed because Ive only just gotten back and your wanting to me to travel already..Im watching my money now Sian....etc etc" Right, so It's my freaking problem my birthday is so close to him going back, I would actually love to spend my 18th with him!
    I think he is, but with him you never know.
    My new years resolution is to try and stop letting him walk all over me and bother me so much!
    So easier said than done!! Grr!

Haha, Everyone must use the runny nose thing; it worked..the first time but when I cry my voice goes weird!

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Thanks! I don't know, he says he will but then he suddenly burst out with "Im not coming Saturday Im spending that with my dad, and im annoyed because Ive only just gotten back and your wanting to me to travel already..Im watching my money now Sian....etc etc" Right, so It's my freaking problem my birthday is so close to him going back, I would actually love to spend my 18th with him!
    I think he is, but with him you never know.
    My new years resolution is to try and stop letting him walk all over me and bother me so much!
    So easier said than done!! Grr!

Haha, Everyone must use the runny nose thing; it worked..the first time but when I cry my voice goes weird!
    That's so harsh that he's "annoyed"... it's your 18th birthday!! I bet if it was his 18th he'd see if differently :p: Men!!!
    Sounds like a good resolution to me And if he doesn't come it is of course his loss hehe
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That's so harsh that he's "annoyed"... it's your 18th birthday!! I bet if it was his 18th he'd see if differently :p: Men!!!
    Sounds like a good resolution to me And if he doesn't come it is of course his loss hehe
    For his 18th I was there, with about 10 smelly boys pukeing up as they'd drank too much! Watching them playing on their x-boxes... Just for his 18th x-box/drinking party! Grr, I was there, bored! but I still went! :mad: Men suck!

Thankies, I am determind to be farr stronger!

ReputationRep:
    For his 18th I was there, with about 10 smelly boys pukeing up as they'd drank too much! Watching them playing on their x-boxes... Just for his 18th x-box/drinking party! Grr, I was there, bored! but I still went! :mad: Men suck!

Thankies, I am determind to be farr stronger!
    They do suck :mad:
    Hopefully he'll get better soon
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    They do suck :mad:
    Hopefully he'll get better soon
    Yeah (yn) Thanks
    Ive just had a boiling hot bath and a nice relaxing half hour to try and forget about him. Im feeling much better now lol thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you're not alone 'cos I'm the same I thought I was alone too but yaaaaay I'm not!

Secondly, I know what you mean about the problems being stuff in your head. I seem to manage to make a problem out of everything as I seriously overthink things hehe. And I remember the goodbye before last in October, I told Alex the next day on Skype that I missed him, and he told me (a very bad move) that he didn't miss me but might do the next week or something. Cue lots of crying from me. Guys are so silly and I think Alex didn't even consider that I would get upset by that, nor that I do need to know when he misses me :p: He had a very bad habit of just saying nothing... But this time he flew back and the same day he arrived on Skype he told me he missed me like crazy, which made me feel soooo much better Anyway the point is that I bet Jack really misses you, he'd just male and doesn't mention it

Thirdly, yeah, I'm trying not to think so far ahead and just look forward to being in the same country again. From there I can start worrying about other stuff hehe
    Jack never tells me he misses me, out of choice. Sometimes if I say I miss him he'll just quickly say 'missyoutoo'... But if I ask him if he's missing me, he's always too honest and says, 'No not really, because I talk to you all the time and I have loads to keep me busy'. That really upsets me!!
    Guys are silly, and I'm only just realising it. I guess because Jack's growing up, he's becoming a man, i.e. Disorganized, a bit unthoughtful etc ... heehee! Love him though! I'm also beginning to learn that love can hurt... I always thought breaking up was supposed to be the painful thing, I didn't realise before how difficult being in love and can make your life!! But it's worth it, because it's love *sigh*.
    I'm such a girl.

ReputationRep:
    Jack never tells me he misses me, out of choice. Sometimes if I say I miss him he'll just quickly say 'missyoutoo'... But if I ask him if he's missing me, he's always too honest and says, 'No not really, because I talk to you all the time and I have loads to keep me busy'. That really upsets me!!
    Guys are silly, and I'm only just realising it. I guess because Jack's growing up, he's becoming a man, i.e. Disorganized, a bit unthoughtful etc ... heehee! Love him though! I'm also beginning to learn that love can hurt... I always thought breaking up was supposed to be the painful thing, I didn't realise before how difficult being in love and can make your life!! But it's worth it, because it's love *sigh*.
    I'm such a girl.
    Hahahaha I am exactly the same. Ahhh I love him so much How long have you two been together?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah (yn) Thanks
    Ive just had a boiling hot bath and a nice relaxing half hour to try and forget about him. Im feeling much better now lol thanks!
    Hehe gdgd. There is no bath in this damn house, but I have been reading a book for a few hours which has been nice. Still miss him though. :rolleyes: LDRs suck.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha I am exactly the same. Ahhh I love him so much How long have you two been together?
    It'll be three years in April. So part of his freak-out in October was the fact that we may be too young to be together so long... Sighh. Three official years anyway; I fancied him for years before we got together!
    You?

ReputationRep:
    It'll be three years in April. So part of his freak-out in October was the fact that we may be too young to be together so long... Sighh. Three official years anyway; I fancied him for years before we got together!
    You?
    Wow, 3 years is such a long time! It's so cute We've been together for just over 1

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 3 years is such a long time! It's so cute We've been together for just over 1
    Aww that's sweet. Well, good luck to you... at least you have an idea of when the Long-Distance part will be done with (I always put capitals on Long Distance... like it's a disease or something!)! And you can always PM me if you fancy a chat/*****/moan, sounds like Alex and Jack have some traits in common!

ReputationRep:
    Ok people - Im in a dilemma and need some serious advice.

As I've already mentioned on this thread, I'm in a LDR and spent xmas/new year with my family, and won't be seeing my boyfriend till next week when he gets back from holiday. All was going fine, until I went out last week.

Basically, I've been dealing with some family problems, including my mum's depression and my brother's behavioural problems. I felt frustrated and upset but kept it bottled up and went out with my friends from home for a xmas night out. I ended up getting completely trollied, running off in tears and phoning my boyfriend. It went to voicemail, and I can't remember what I said but I was in hysterics, crying a lot and probably sounded like a total out of control crazed woman. It was very melodramatic and I feel like an idiot.

The next day I woke up with a terrible hangover, not remembering anything except I'd tried to phone him. My friends told me I got very upset and had told them everything, and they supported me and understood I was stressed and should'nt have drunk so much.

Now...I've not heard back from my boyfriend since then, but he comes back from his holiday next week and I'm supposed to be seeing him. I'm sooo embarrassed though
    Im planning to send an email of apology to explain that I was drunk and upset, and didnt mean to sound so dramatic over the phone...

Is that a good idea? Any more ideas on how I should explain myself?

ReputationRep:
    He's your boyfriend hun, he'll understand if you just email or phone him and say 'I'm really sorry about the other night, I got myself a bit upset - you know how it goes, too much alcohol - said some embarassin stuff but it just kinda, all exploded. I hope I didn't stres you out, or make you feel annoyed at me ..' and if he's a normal, or decent person, he'llbe fine with. I can't see why he wouldn't be. At most he's going to be distressed that you're obviously feeling completely overwhlemed at the moment. and be wanting to help fix that.
    :hugs:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.