Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It happens even when you're living together az! I'd been on my own in the flat all afternoon and when he came home from work and announced he was pretty much going straight out to see his friends I was quite upset! I managed to talk my way into going though and when he went out with them again on the Saturday I made plans to have a friend over instead. It's more when he does it with no warning that gets me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az08)
    Anyone else seem to *dislike* it when their other half goes out to club, bar etc to have fun? Especially when you're just sitting at home.

Sometimes i feel its a bit selfish on my part, to wish they were also at home, and talking to them on the phone or internet...hmm...
    There was only one time when I disliked him going out.

I was very stressed due to my exams and to top it off I got my period (which alters my mental state) and I needed all the support I could get at the time and he was the only person I had - I didn't have access to my mother, so I couldn't even speak to her at the time - and he left to go party with his friends.

Afterwards, I understood more 'cause I realised I was most probably depressing him - even though I still felt as if he owed me an apology. But during the time, my ability to understand what's going on decreases when I'm on my period, as I get very confused by everything, so it was even worse when it was happening because I just felt so abandoned and didn't understand why or what he was doing or anything.

Luckily, after he left, his mother comforted me and so I felt better. When he came back, he didn't understand why I was upset even in the slightest. So, at 5am I packed my bags, walked out, travelled to the coach station and went home. I shouldn't have gone to his in the first place, to be honest.

He doesn't like speaking about it now though 'cause it makes him feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ygraine)
    I think that's the sign of a good relationship. It still feels like that with Dave and I and it's been 5 and a half years :love:
    5 and a half, impressive

I'm so glad he doesn't get annoyed by my exam stressing - I didn't know I could get quite this stressed. I do love him, ever so much :love:

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure if this is too corny for valentines;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-cute-g...03124001r22615

the only reason i say this is because usually we buy each other random joke gifts, and we still do even though we're long distance. i dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ygraine)
    I think that's the sign of a good relationship. It still feels like that with Dave and I and it's been 5 and a half years :love:
    :ditto:

Except it's 5 and bit years ^^

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    I am starting university in september and I will have to leave my bf at home. The problem is that "home" is Bulgaria na univesity is UK. he doesn't mind and encourages me to follow my dreams but I don't know how we are both going to hadle it. I am used to hugging every evening and don't know how I will feel alone....Besides I know how much he loves me and I am not sertain whether he will be able to take it without getiing hurt. Please help me out because I can't take any decision about which univeristy to go to until I know how things between us will be...

ReputationRep:
    Cappy_bg,

Talk to him! Tell him how you feel about it and ask him how he feels about it. However, you can only predict how things will be between you when you are go to uni, but you will only know for certain when you actually left your home. :/ That's my opinion.

This is also why I don't really want to think about the future. I already have a long distance relationship in Germany, but will leave for uni in UK in September. Either she can go to uni in the UK, too... or she stays here in Germany and visits a college here. She could also work in Edinburgh, which is near to 3 of my chosen unis. And I don't know how things will be between us when we both leave our homes and have to adapt to a different environment. I don't want to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    J just rang me sounding all sad saying he misses me and 'needs to talk' to me. He's refusing to talk to me about it on the phone and says he'll talk when he comes to visit me on Friday. I'm feeling like ****. I'm pretty sure that this is it... the end is nigh! I love him so much and don't want to lose him.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That doesn't mean it's going to end. Maybe he is just feeling a little down and wants to chat, he did say he misses you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the fact that he said he misses me (he never says it) means he's been thinking about 'us'. Which he wouldn't do unless he was sad. ARGH I'm being such a girl, I just need to stop thinking!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's good he's thinking about you, surely you want him to right? I know I'd love Josh to just come out with "I miss you"
    Yes, stop being such a girl :p: hehe, look forward to seeing him! xD

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:
    What would I do without TSR? More specifically, the LDR soc? Even more specifically, CutiePie?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :p: Go madly insane like CutiePie already has

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    :p: Go madly insane like CutiePie already has
    Too late for that!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from the most amazing month spent living with my boyfriend in Australia (he was there for 3 months before I went too, so it was the first time I'd seen him since September). It was so perfect, but now I'm home I'm really worrying myself with how depressed I feel.

He is back for good in exactly 1 months time, but I honestly don't know how I'm going to handle this month away. To go from living with somebody every day, and having the best time with them, to living in different countries and only being able to speak via phone or msn...it's horrible. I should be happy that I'm home and seeing my family, but I can't be. I just keep crying, I feel so down.

How can I snap out of this?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My boyfriend has been away now for just over 2 months and im not going to see him for another 4 months and then when he comes back home i will be leaving for the summer and once summer is over we will both be in different unis.

so yeah the long distance is going to be really tough and i miss him so much, we do try and talk every night but can guarantee we end up arguing coz i just want him to come back home!!! But i do just get on with it and know that if i wasnt with him i would be in more of a state than i am now!!

so i think if you really do love someone it is possible to do even though it does hurt like crazy and i never knew i could be so emotional!!

it becomes a real eye opener too as when we were together we would spend every second together and near enough ignore everyone else and felt as though i was blocking my friends out so it is nice to know that there is still something out their other than him (even though i just want him!! lol )

so everyone if you really do love the person just try and hold on and really try coz i know as soon as i see him again all the hurt will disappear!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_lamb81)

so everyone if you really do love the person just try and hold on and really try coz i know as soon as i see him again all the hurt will disappear!!

So so true. The second I saw my boyfriend waiting for me in arrivals it all became so worth it. I just have to keep remembering that this time round when I get too upset.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but looking for advice...

My boyfriend and I recently broke up as he didn't want our r'ship of 3 months to move into an LDR.. he thought we'd end up arguing and would find it impossible to visit each other (we'd be in Spain & France) but we would have both ended up back in the UK in October... I would have liked to give it a go but obviously don't want an LDR with somebody who doesn't want this kind of relationship - he'd end up resenting me/ finding someone else to compensate...

Can you guys just cheer me up by letting me know what i'm not missing out on by not going into an LDR? I'm just finding it so hard to accept this decision as we both still love each other and continue to speak now we're in different countries.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to quash previously unfelt feelings of jealousy, insecurity etc.
    Wondering why he hasn't rung you.
    Stressing about when you'll see each other next, and if you can afford it.
    Saying goodbye after visits is awful.

But I feel bad for you too, because breaking up sucks too! Maybe you'll get back together in October?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to see my boyfriend tomorrow. For 6 days It's the first time I've been at his, he's just come up here before.

The only problem is I can't stop thinking about Wednesday (my last day). I know it's stupid, and if I keep doing it there's no way I'll manage a LDR. How do I keep those thoughts away and just enjoy being with him?

Oh and thanks to everyone who answered my other question. I love this thread. It really does help

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.