Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilSheep)
    I was starting to wonder!!

What are you doing at Glasgow???

Come join us in the society chat thread... But be warned, we talk a lot!!:woo:

medicine so I'm doing a 5 year course and coming next he'll be doing a 5 year course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    medicine so I'm doing a 5 year course and coming next he'll be doing a 5 year course

Well, if he comes to Glasgow too, then it'll be all good.. If he doesn't, well, it'll be hard at times, but I'm sure you'll be able to manage!

ReputationRep:
    Don't come to Glasgow, that's where I lurk! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    Don't come to Glasgow, that's where I lurk! :p:
    Yes, but then she could join in on your adoption and have you first!!

Ssssshh, I didn't say anything spammy
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    do you find maintaining relationships at university hard work? is it worth it?

next year me and my boyfriend will be at the university of manchester and university of liverpool respectively and i am wondering if its worth carrying on seeing each other? hes in 2nd year and ill be in my first year btw.

tbh im worried that he will feel tied down by me and vice versa! i like him lots but i dont want to feel as though we have to put in alot of effort for this to work i just kinda want it to work easily if that makes any sense!

when he was in his first year at manc and i was at home it was kinda rocky and we werent seeing each other but now that we're both back at home we're kind of seeing each other again and i just want to be prepared for what could happen!

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    My partner (who I met while at university) lives the equivalent of Manchester to Liverpool away from me and it hasn't caused any problems as far as I know (aside from occasionally being less possible to see each other than is desirable).

If you're used to seeing him for several hours every day, then it may cause problems, but those two are close enough for a couple of times per week (especially since the Trans Pennine express runs through one to the other).

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool and Manchester are very close.

It's up to you though - to me you don't sound you necessarily want it to work? That's the key with any distance in relationships - you have to WANT it to work.

ReputationRep:
    i like him alot but i feel as though me wanting to continue the relationship would be holding him back? i just dont know what to do

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him Try and figure out if you guys want a future together.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the thing: when reading your posts, the fact that you are even suggesting it seems to reveal you have doubts yourself and aren't completely with continuing the relationship. I might be younger than you myself but I've seen so many older friends manage to stay together or fall apart when trying to make slightly-long-term relationships work out. Some of them you could tell before they even went to uni, when they were saying, like you, "oh but i don't want to be holding him/her back", or "is it even worth me trying?", that it wasn't going to work out. But there are two couples I can think of, one pair, like you and your boyfriend, who are in consecutive years, who have reached or are reaching the ends of their courses, and they are still quite happy together. It never occurred to me (or them, as far as I know), that they WOULDN'T come out of university together- and that is the important thing, I think.

Fair enough you should discuss with your boyfriend about what he thinks about keeping the relationship up- but personally I would avoid going to deep and asking too many probing questions, because that might just suggest to him that you aren't sure yourself. I won't be going to university for another year but a few months ago I asked my boyfriend if he would be getting a car so that he could visit me at university, and he said of course, and that's all i need to know.

I hope you come to a decision in due course.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd come on and introduce myself- come september I'll be in an LDR when I go off to uni in scotland and my bf returns to australia. We've only been together 3 months so far but we feel very strongly for eachother and have decided to continue the relationship despite being on opposite sides of the world. Neither of us have any experience of LDRs (and this is my first real relationship) so I'm feeling really nervous about whether this can work. Basically just looking for some advice/ reassurance or someone to tell me i'm being crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Number one piece of advice when it comes to LDRs is - communication

I never not know where my boyfriend is, at least, not for more than a few hours after the fact. It's not like I'm needy or demanding or anything as such, but he just.. he likes to tell me anyway. I like to know what he's up to, not to be controlling, but because I take an interest in his life.

Anyway we are well matched in that respect. If I disappear without word he'd take it as a little odd, too.

You're not being crazy if you want it to work out! we had an England - Aus relationship in the soc recently, but it ended.... .... because the boy got a Visa and came over to England! At least.. I think he has now, if not, soon So you're not being crazy Would there be an end in sight to your LDR?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the quick response! Basically he's a few years older than me but never went to university and he's always wanted to go back and study. He's talked a lot about coming over here next year to study which would be amazing- though obviously nothing's been decided. It's so good to know other people have been in similar situations- and come out of them so successfully!!

ReputationRep:
    We have a chat thread - check the first page of this thread - for random spam and nonsense. It's nice to have when you're actually in an LDR, full of people who feel the same way as you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    Number one piece of advice when it comes to LDRs is - communication

You're not being crazy if you want it to work out! we had an England - Aus relationship in the soc recently, but it ended.... .... because the boy got a Visa and came over to England! At least.. I think he has now, if not, soon So you're not being crazy Would there be an end in sight to your LDR?
    :ditto: the communication thing. a webcam is a good idea as well as skype at least then you get to 'see' them as well as talk to them and even better its free. plus theres a website for cheap phonecalls to home phones in other countries but i cant remember it.....

i believe the aus-eng relationship has now ended or at least will do come aug. i know he defantly has the visa but i think her bf isnt moving over till august but its most defantly an example it can work!

ReputationRep:
    www.18185.co.uk is the website, Katie (from the amount of times I post this link, you'd think I own the website myself, wouldn't you :p:

ReputationRep:
    For mobiles its 5p a minute and landlines 1p to australia so defantly worth looking into it!

ReputationRep:
    Quick intro from me -

I've been with my boyfriend for about 4 and a half years now. We met at uni but our hometowns are London and Manchester. I graduated 2 years ago and moved back down to London but he was still at uni about 3 hours away. For the past 2 years we've been LDR which hasn't always been easy but it's worth it.

We've got into a routine now (every other friday I run out of work to catch the 5.45 train to his and cross my fingers that it'll be running on time!), but hopefully we'll be moving in together soon as he's now graduated and has a job!! Unfortunately for me, the job isn't in London but Manchester so eventually I'll be making the move up there which is scary. We usually see each other every other weekend, but only from about 8pm Friday night to 2pm Sunday, so we don't even get 48 hours together. We've managed a couple of long weekends this year (thank god for bank holidays!) and recently got back from a week long holiday which was fantastic - its such a novelty not to be clock watching when I'm with him.

So yeah, that's my relationship back story. I've read through a few pages and totally agree with everyone else, communication and trust is key. I don't speak to my boyfriend every day, or even every other, but we do text each other every day, even if its just to let the other know how much we miss them!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    If you want, join the chat thread in the society chat forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro_girl)
    do you find maintaining relationships at university hard work?
    Yes.
    is it worth it?
    Also yes.

tbh im worried that he will feel tied down by me and vice versa! i like him lots but i dont want to feel as though we have to put in alot of effort for this to work i just kinda want it to work easily if that makes any sense!
    Unfortunately, LDRs DO take work - there's no getting round it.

when he was in his first year at manc and i was at home it was kinda rocky and we werent seeing each other but now that we're both back at home we're kind of seeing each other again and i just want to be prepared for what could happen!
    If you felt things were rocky this year you need to sit down, have a chat and work out why, and from that, work out from that if it's worth carrying on.

(Original post by gogo)
    Just thought I'd come on and introduce myself- come september I'll be in an LDR when I go off to uni in scotland and my bf returns to australia. We've only been together 3 months so far but we feel very strongly for eachother and have decided to continue the relationship despite being on opposite sides of the world. Neither of us have any experience of LDRs (and this is my first real relationship) so I'm feeling really nervous about whether this can work. Basically just looking for some advice/ reassurance or someone to tell me i'm being crazy!
    ahoy :hello:
    If you feel it's worth it, then it is That's all there is to it really.

And yes, everyone is welcome in the chat thread

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.