Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    The advance ticket is really cheap but only on offer very early on. So about 2 weeks before your journey I doubt you'll find one. You are tied down to a certain train yeah. But when its so cheap it doesn't really matter too much.

You'd probably pay for the cost of your railcard in just one journey so they are definitely worth it.

I know what you mean about time lasting forever, I got so used to him being around all the time. I came home from work today half hoping he would be there waiting for me before I remembered where he actually was

It'll be ending because I've got an offer from the Uni of my choice, Dundee, which is only about 30 minutes on the bus or 5 minutes on the train from where James is so it'll be much easier and much cheaper to see each other each day. I can't wait

I know it probably seems so hard now but you'll have ages of time together over summer I'm sure and as long as you keep chatting most days and have visits planned for the future so you're not left wondering when you'll see him next
    Aww lucky you. I wish ours was ending soon. Summer doesn't make it much easier, he actually lives in Northern Ireland. Hopefully he's staying in Liverpool this summer, I hate flying. But he's doing extra shifts and I work Saturdays so I'd have to go down on Sunday and come back on Friday or something, and it means I can't do many extra hours. It's just going to be so expensive but I don't want to waste time because my uni timetable makes it pretty much impossible to see him outside holidays

We have our visits planned till the end of May and we text every day and phone most nights. He's amazing, he never makes me feel like I'm bothering him.

Do you know anything about Megatrain? I came across it today, and it's giving me ridiculous prices lik £4 return from Glasgow to Preston. I just don't see how it can work. Also goes from Preston to Edinburgh, just in case that makes your journey any cheaper. Does anyone know anything about it? I've heard of Megabus, but this seems to just be a Virgin Train for really cheap? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my boyfriend for just over two years now, but i've known him a lot longer as we were flirty while i was at school.

He joined the army just before we decided to get togeva properly (him bein away made us realise how much we actuali liked each otha) so my whole relationship has been long distance, he can onli *** home on the weekends if that and he has to go away for long periods of time now and then.

At the moment hes on a 6 month tour in Canada which is reali hard because i cant even phone him properly.

I just want to say to you all that long distance relationships do work but they are reali hard, you have to make a real effort and you hav to reali want it, if not then it won't

We have recently decided we will get married and so i will be going to university with a finance, although we wont actuali marry until i finish uni.

I think people who leave their boyfriends wen it gets hard, cant love them enuf to make the effort to make it work, but then i have an amazing boyfriend who has neva hurt me and would do n e thing for me, who would want to leave that! lol

hope this helps if ur considerin a LDR!

Nadine x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    my long distance relationship...
    it sounds crazy, but its love, i met this guy in italy on a school exchange in october
    since then i've been back to italy twice and stayed with him and his family and we talk on msn every day
    we get on amazingly
    i'm 17, he's 18, his family love me, he's coming in march and wants to stay half the summer in england and for me to go to italy for half a year
    i have started to teach myself italian, and the hope is that if all goes well during uni i'll move across there
    i've always known the uk isn't really for me
    what are your opinions?
    As Angelil said, go for it if you think it's worth it. I met my boyfriend over the internet, he lives in England, me in Greece and even though the distance is difficult we are doing great. At least you have to teach yourself Italian, I have to teach myself Hindi :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ( it's a beautiful language, but god, it's hard )

Advice?

Girlfriend of nigh on two years moved to another country for 6 months on new years day.
    She's completely on her own out there and as such feels lonely.
    She has made a circle of friends however, all through this one guy she has met.

13 days after being out there she got drunk and, feeling lonely, made out with this guy.
    I told her that I forgave her, she was drunk after all, and it was only once.
    But she has been continuing to see this guy every day on a social basis since then.
    Unfortunately this guy very much has a crush on her and continually flirts, he has even told her he loves her.
    This unfortunately was making me feel uncomfortable and eventually the situation came to a head with a big fight.

The upshot of the fight was that I asked her if she might tell this guy to back off and she agreed. Things were looking up.
    However, only 2 days after this resolution (yesterday) she informed me that she has a crush on this guy too, and that she can't trust herself around him.

This being the case I can't see how I could trust her around him.
    The only thing I can see to do would be to ask her to stop seeing him...but he's the link to her whole circle of friends out there.

Any advice much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Heya, umm first I guess I should say it's not really long distance, it's an hour and a half away but that's enough for me xD
    Yeah basically my girlfriend lives like I dunno 13.6km from be I believe, and like yeah, I get to see her about once or twice a week, sometimes I don't and I get really upset :\
    I mean, I like really love her xD like sooo much, and I just miss her like constantly. Any tips on what I can do to kinda not feel so lonely when I'm not with her?
    I mean jeez, she's just like all I can think about > . < I mean when it was badly snowing last monday, I actually walked to her house AND back it was a trek, but it was so worth it
    I dunno what else to say really lol I'm just totally head over heels for this girl and I don't wanna end up pissing her off or bein' too clingy etc because I miss her
    So aye any tips greatly appreciated =]
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenageclay)
    Heya, umm first I guess I should say it's not really long distance, it's an hour and a half away but that's enough for me xD
    Yeah basically my girlfriend lives like I dunno 13.6km from be I believe, and like yeah, I get to see her about once or twice a week, sometimes I don't and I get really upset :\
    I mean, I like really love her xD like sooo much, and I just miss her like constantly. Any tips on what I can do to kinda not feel so lonely when I'm not with her?
    I mean jeez, she's just like all I can think about > . < I mean when it was badly snowing last monday, I actually walked to her house AND back it was a trek, but it was so worth it
    I dunno what else to say really lol I'm just totally head over heels for this girl and I don't wanna end up pissing her off or bein' too clingy etc because I miss her
    So aye any tips greatly appreciated =]
    Thanks
    You'll just have to get some other focus in your life. Friends, uni/whatever, work?

It also depends how she feels. If she's as in this as you are, you could probably phone most nights. My boyfriend and I do. Just talk to her about it, ask her if you're being too clingy.

Also, there's this thread. Sounds similar to your situation, it got more replies.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post17119934

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    You'll just have to get some other focus in your life. Friends, uni/whatever, work?

It also depends how she feels. If she's as in this as you are, you could probably phone most nights. My boyfriend and I do. Just talk to her about it, ask her if you're being too clingy.

Also, there's this thread. Sounds similar to your situation, it got more replies.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post17119934
    Mmhmm, just doin' work kinda helps tbh, I think I'm gettin' a bit better at it xD but like I think I've been totally just too kinda involved with her in my head? I'm talkin' like a retard xD but like umm yeah I actually wouldn't work I'd just sit at my laptop and wait for her to come online whilst listenin' to music. I guess I'ma just gonna have to try a bit harder =] Hey it's worth it innit ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenageclay)
    Mmhmm, just doin' work kinda helps tbh, I think I'm gettin' a bit better at it xD but like I think I've been totally just too kinda involved with her in my head? I'm talkin' like a retard xD but like umm yeah I actually wouldn't work I'd just sit at my laptop and wait for her to come online whilst listenin' to music. I guess I'ma just gonna have to try a bit harder =] Hey it's worth it innit ^^
    I sort of know what you mean. I have days where he's all I can think about. We have a routine now though. We text at regular intervals through the day, maybe send a message every hour or so, sometimes less if we're both doing nothing. Then every night (unless one of us is busy) at half 10 we're on the phone for at least half an hour, usually longer. It works because we know we both want that much contact.

You really need to speak to her, find out how much she wants to speak to you. If she's not prepared for as much as you want, you need to speak to more people. Really you should be talking to more people anyway, I don't know how your friendship situation is. But you don't want to be too dependent on one person. Even just one night out a week can give you something else to do, and think about. Are you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Advice?

Girlfriend of nigh on two years moved to another country for 6 months on new years day.
    She's completely on her own out there and as such feels lonely.
    She has made a circle of friends however, all through this one guy she has met.

13 days after being out there she got drunk and, feeling lonely, made out with this guy.
    I told her that I forgave her, she was drunk after all, and it was only once.
    But she has been continuing to see this guy every day on a social basis since then.
    Unfortunately this guy very much has a crush on her and continually flirts, he has even told her he loves her.
    This unfortunately was making me feel uncomfortable and eventually the situation came to a head with a big fight.

The upshot of the fight was that I asked her if she might tell this guy to back off and she agreed. Things were looking up.
    However, only 2 days after this resolution (yesterday) she informed me that she has a crush on this guy too, and that she can't trust herself around him.

This being the case I can't see how I could trust her around him.
    The only thing I can see to do would be to ask her to stop seeing him...but he's the link to her whole circle of friends out there.

Any advice much appreciated.
    Absolutely no idea.
    Sorry.
    That's a beastly situation to be in. I mean, I see where you're coming from with the whole maybe she should stop seeing him spiel.

She can't trust herself ergo you can't trust her so, solution, remove the issue of trust by avoiding the situation.

But, at the same time, she'll just freak out on you for trying to control her, even if in this case it's kinda reasonable. And there's the added complication of loneliness in a foreign place.
    Where is she by the way?

Maybe this is just one that can't work out?
    Hard one to say but maybe it'll be better to just call it a day, let whatever will happen happen with her and this dude (dude sounds like a bit of a ****). Then see if there's anything left going when she comes back.

Most important thing from my point of view is that you don't see this as the regular "jealous boyfriend" thing. Because here, you haven't just got past history (the making out), you've got like, ongoing history (the crush).
    I reckon that you're not to blame here. But at the same time, she's gotta prioritise her happiness too.

Sorry for not offering particularly happy advice. Maybe someone else will have something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to the LDR thread and I'm a soon to be...
    me and my fella have been seeing each other pretty much for four years. I'm in my first year at uni of Nottm and i am from nottingham anyway so he comes to stay with me at halls loads, we meet for lunch etc but he is on a gap year at the moment working to get money for uni.. he goes to plymouth in September... I don't know how this is gonna work, I work Saturdays and Sundays in a part time job with very few weekends off, so going down for weekends is pretty much gonna be out of the question. I don't know if it's gonna be too hard. And because we've pretty much been the only people each other has seen romantically as we started young it could be more realistic to 'have a break' and see where we're at after uni.. but I love him too much I can't bear the thought of him not being in my life everyday and the thought of him with another girl makes me feel physically sick He's honestly my rock and I just don't know how I'm going to cope.
    We haven't really talked about it yet I think becausse we don't want to put a downer on things and just enjoy being together while we can. I honestly see myself with this guy for a long time in my future bu tI just know the next couple of years are going t be very hard. I know you lot have heard this all before but it's sad times and I would just like to hear any stories or advice u can offer. xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizColley)
    I'm new to the LDR thread and I'm a soon to be...
    me and my fella have been seeing each other pretty much for four years. I'm in my first year at uni of Nottm and i am from nottingham anyway so he comes to stay with me at halls loads, we meet for lunch etc but he is on a gap year at the moment working to get money for uni.. he goes to plymouth in September... I don't know how this is gonna work, I work Saturdays and Sundays in a part time job with very few weekends off, so going down for weekends is pretty much gonna be out of the question. I don't know if it's gonna be too hard. And because we've pretty much been the only people each other has seen romantically as we started young it could be more realistic to 'have a break' and see where we're at after uni.. but I love him too much I can't bear the thought of him not being in my life everyday and the thought of him with another girl makes me feel physically sick He's honestly my rock and I just don't know how I'm going to cope.
    We haven't really talked about it yet I think becausse we don't want to put a downer on things and just enjoy being together while we can. I honestly see myself with this guy for a long time in my future bu tI just know the next couple of years are going t be very hard. I know you lot have heard this all before but it's sad times and I would just like to hear any stories or advice u can offer. xxxx
    Hello. I haven't been in your situation, we were LD from the start. And the start was only 2 months ago. But I'll try to offer a bit of advice.

You really have to talk to him about it, find out how he's feeling and what he wants. You might realise that a break would be best, or you might both decide you can't break up. Providing you want the same things, I don't see any reason why you can't make it work.

Do you live in the same town? Like, for holidays and things will you be living near each other? Because that would make things a bit easier. We don't even live near each other, but during the summer I'm going down on most Sundays and coming back up on Fridays for work. It'll cost a fortune in train fares but it's worth it. As for the weekend job, tell me about it. I get four days off a year, makes things difficult. I've been trying to take my holidays when I have days off uni, or maybe just missing a few lectures, and stay for 5 or 6 days. Will he be working over weekends too?

But really that's just details, you have plenty time to sort all that out. I think your main priority is first working out what you want, then finding out what he wants. You can make it work if you both want it to. It'll be hard, but if you really can't imagine life without him it has to be worth it. I hope things go well for you.

Anon because he uses this...

Hi there,
    Me and bf are going to *probably* different unis in september (well that's the plan) and we haven't actually talked about it at all yet. I was just wondering when you think we should talk, like how far in advance? and what kind of things should be decided and by when? And also how to not get too emotional about it...
    Thanks very much xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon because he uses this...

Hi there,
    Me and bf are going to *probably* different unis in september (well that's the plan) and we haven't actually talked about it at all yet. I was just wondering when you think we should talk, like how far in advance? and what kind of things should be decided and by when? And also how to not get too emotional about it...
    Thanks very much xx

I think its completely personal as to when you start talking about it. But if you think you might be going to different unis the chances are your boyfriend does too. My boyfriend went away in September whilst I stayed at college.
    I went to every open day with him which I think helped and I had in mind what the places were like and he asked for my input as to which I liked the most etc.

About March time he'd narrowed it down to 2 and they were both far away. We talked about it before the deadline for accepting in May so we both knew what he was putting down. Then we just kind of accepted it and left it.

Around June/July we went on holiday together. It gave us chance to just spend a lot of time together and talk things through properly. It was then we began talking about what it would be like when he went away and both agreed that there was no question about it, we would stay together. Then when we knew where he was going, we spent time talking about when I'd go up and visit and I think I booked my first set of trains on his actual results day I wanted to know when I'd be going and he wanted a date when he knew he'd see me again.

That's all we talked about really. What kind of things were you thinking? We obviously chatted about how much we wanted to speak and knew it would be at least everyday on the phone and then texts in between as we spent a lot of time speaking when he was home.

It's good to talk about the likelihood of where you will both be in September quite early on I found, around March. This allows you time to get used to the idea of the distance between you.

PM me if I can help you with anything

EDIT: It really is worth it I'm not going to say its easy because its not, its one of the hardest things I've ever done. Saying goodbye is awful and I don't think it gets easier. But I grow closer to my boyfriend each time I visit and having to chat on the phone and rely on communication more, I've found, brings you closer together

(Original post by lucyhol1012)
    I think its completely personal as to when you start talking about it. But if you think you might be going to different unis the chances are your boyfriend does too. My boyfriend went away in September whilst I stayed at college.
    I went to every open day with him which I think helped and I had in mind what the places were like and he asked for my input as to which I liked the most etc.

About March time he'd narrowed it down to 2 and they were both far away. We talked about it before the deadline for accepting in May so we both knew what he was putting down. Then we just kind of accepted it and left it.

Around June/July we went on holiday together. It gave us chance to just spend a lot of time together and talk things through properly. It was then we began talking about what it would be like when he went away and both agreed that there was no question about it, we would stay together. Then when we knew where he was going, we spent time talking about when I'd go up and visit and I think I booked my first set of trains on his actual results day I wanted to know when I'd be going and he wanted a date when he knew he'd see me again.

That's all we talked about really. What kind of things were you thinking? We obviously chatted about how much we wanted to speak and knew it would be at least everyday on the phone and then texts in between as we spent a lot of time speaking when he was home.

It's good to talk about the likelihood of where you will both be in September quite early on I found, around March. This allows you time to get used to the idea of the distance between you.

PM me if I can help you with anything

EDIT: It really is worth it I'm not going to say its easy because its not, its one of the hardest things I've ever done. Saying goodbye is awful and I don't think it gets easier. But I grow closer to my boyfriend each time I visit and having to chat on the phone and rely on communication more, I've found, brings you closer together

Ah, thank you. We are going interrailing in the summer so we'll probably become stupidly close during that, which will be lovely, but heartbreaking if we then decide to break up because of the distance (which I'm hoping won't happen!)

Thanks for your help, I won't hesitate to PM you if I do need help, which I probably will at some point
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andi2036)
    Lol indeed! Dan is doing second year Physics too, and second year maths, they might know each other if they're doing the same modules! (Strange Scottish system where you can be in second year as a first year)

I know what you mean, I just made the rule for it to be no longer than 4 weeks between seeing each other. Yeah I know people who go longer - I really have no idea how they do it! I mean some people go for months
    I was gonna go for 5 weeks before Christmas, but I ended up paying £70 for a ticket to go there for a weekend, I think I got a days worth of hours with him and then had to come back!

Yeah ... I find it really hard for a few days after hes left cause Im so used to seeing him I just forget that hes not going to be coming round as usual And even when its soon, its so frustrating I just want to day to go quicker! And then end up starting conversations about how much we miss each other and how upset I am. I dont want him to be annoyed, but I want him to know how much I care!
    Sorry to boycott, but my ex [who is a good mate] is doing that at St Andrews too :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    my long distance relationship...
    it sounds crazy, but its love, i met this guy in italy on a school exchange in october
    since then i've been back to italy twice and stayed with him and his family and we talk on msn every day
    we get on amazingly
    i'm 17, he's 18, his family love me, he's coming in march and wants to stay half the summer in england and for me to go to italy for half a year
    i have started to teach myself italian, and the hope is that if all goes well during uni i'll move across there
    i've always known the uk isn't really for me
    what are your opinions?

Hey lizfairy! Where are u from exactly? My story is like yours, but I met my English bf in England on my year abroad last year and love him to bits!
    How's your Italian going? And where is your bf from? My bf is studyin Italian too and I appreciate his effort! Italian is not that easy (compared to English, anyway)

Feel free to Pm me if u want to share your story with me! or for any curiosity about Italian mums :eek3: and culture.

Good luck with your love story!
    Vale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Sorry to boycott, but my ex [who is a good mate] is doing that at St Andrews too :p:
    Ah kl, what year is he in?

Hi please keep as anon, cos he uses these forums.

I just wondered for all those who are/have been in long distance relationships if there is usually a little period where the relationship dips a little?

He is in england, i am in france. I have been here since september and it will all be over in 9 weeks. Before the long distance we had been together for 3 years.

Basically I feel at the moment we are going through a difficult patch.....not disasterous, just not as great as things were. He is contacting me less than before and his replies are usualy shorter than before. He told me a couple of weeks ago that he was finding it difficult to deal with, and that he misses me too much, but hasnt talked to anyone and has kept his feeling bottles since september. So is it possible that he is trying to distance himself a little bit, so it's easier to deal with?

I am going home in 10 days...and I haven't seen him for over 6 weeks now, which is the longest we have gone..so maybe this is another reason for the slight dip.....its the longest we've ever gone without seeing each other.

Normally we are very dependant on each other (at home) we live together and we spend virtually all our time together...so it is really hard for both of us. I think also I am being a bit paranoid, I feel so lonely here......there is nothing to do, virtuallly bo public transport to go out etc...so i feel like i am relying on his contact a bit too much, whereas he is obviously trying to do some thing to take his mind off being alone.

Anyway, hopefully my visit home next week will liven things up a bit! Guess I should just ride this week out!

Sorry for long and jumbled post...I'm a bit of a wreck sometimes lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andi2036)
    Ah kl, what year is he in?
    1st year, but gone straight into second year physics.

ReputationRep:
    well... first post in this thread.

Need some advice I guess..

I'm in an LDR.. very long distance (read 4000 miles+) and I'm not going to see her again until the easter holidays - So still like a month and a half..

It's killing me. Really, really difficult and I find myself thinking about her all of the time. We talk for a good few hours every day, but it's still really hard.

Any advice on how I can make this easier on myself?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.