Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    ah, I know...I won't see him till the 26th, 3 weeks from now...It sucks, but at least I know I 'll see him....I wish I could hug him

:console: you 'll see ( we 'll see ) days will pass in no time
    Yeahhh it'l go by in no time I just hateee the wait!!! I get 5 whole weeks off at easter then though to be with him yay!!! Cant wait!!!! xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm not seeing my bf until the 27th... it's going to be the longest I've gone without seeing him. I've asked if he'll come down next weekend but he said he might be seeing his sister and he can't really afford it (he just got a huge promotion though and a massive pay rise so that won't wash for much longer)...

so worried he's going to enjoy being on his own too much. But then again I've been paranoid all week as he's been busy... he rung me at 7 this morning and keeps ringing me just for little chats... telling me how much he misses me. So I think it'll be ok

It'll go by in no time I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    subscribing

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide where to go for uni and i'm not sure weather to go to my boyfriends uni or not? my other uni option is about 2 hours away from him. we've spent the last year with him at uni in northampton while i'v been at college in london and it's worked but it's been really hard. i really don't know what to do? please help x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kms90)
    I'm trying to decide where to go for uni and i'm not sure weather to go to my boyfriends uni or not? my other uni option is about 2 hours away from him. we've spent the last year with him at uni in northampton while i'v been at college in london and it's worked but it's been really hard. i really don't know what to do? please help x

Northampton is a terrible university; I speak from experience.

Don't do it, don't base your uni choices on your partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kms90)
    Go to the Uni that is best for your course and that you'll be happy with. Don't base your Uni solely on your partner, you don't know what the future holds.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, how did I not know about this soc?! I live a 2 hour drive from my girlfriend, and it takes her 3 hours on the train to get to mine...does that count as long distance?

how do you dump your boyfriend when he lives 5 hours away from you and you seen him once a fortnight? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    how do you dump your boyfriend when he lives 5 hours away from you and you seen him once a fortnight? x
    Either on the phone, or when it's you turn to visit him, just make sure you leave enough time to travel up there and back in one day.

I went to stay with my girlfriend for teh weekend but was prepared to leave on the first day because we came close to breaking up...it was not a pleasant day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    Wow, how did I not know about this soc?! I live a 2 hour drive from my girlfriend, and it takes her 3 hours on the train to get to mine...does that count as long distance?
    We don't really do things on distance here, as weird as tat sounds! I mean obviously we do, but it's more about the difficulties of getting there whcih limit the time in which you can see them...if that makes sense.

My boy and I are about 2/3 hours from each other - 2 hours by car, but niether of us drive, so it's about 3 hours by train. We definitely class our relationship as LD. We only see each other every 2-4 weeks, time and money depending. that's a lot by some people's standards, but at the same time, very different from a normal relationship!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    We don't really do things on distance here, as weird as tat sounds! I mean obviously we do, but it's more about the difficulties of getting there whcih limit the time in which you can see them...if that makes sense.

My boy and I are about 2/3 hours from each other - 2 hours by car, but niether of us drive, so it's about 3 hours by train. We definitely class our relationship as LD. We only see each other every 2-4 weeks, time and money depending. that's a lot by some people's standards, but at the same time, very different from a normal relationship!
    Yeah, like we see eachother every 2 weeks. It is a healthy amount. But it can lead to some totally pointless fights over misunderstood text messages and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    Yeah, like we see eachother every 2 weeks. It is a healthy amount. But it can lead to some totally pointless fights over misunderstood text messages and stuff.
    Never really had that kind of problem, I'll admit. We're a bit too soppy for that kinda thing. My problem is getting stressy around exam time and being all like 'there's a barrier between us, we're falling apart' and him comforting me..and then as soon as exams and dealdines are over I'm like..wtf was I thinking. He's jsut learnt to put up with my periodical madness (I'm in uni, he's not)

ReputationRep:
    Oooh. *Joins in*

I'm in a LDR. I consider us lucky with only ever a 2 hour drive between us (at the most). It's from Gloucestershire (me) to Nottingham or South Wales (him).

We have been in a relationship for 6 months now. Since we met on the internet it's always been like this. Is that a positive/negative thing ? We only started the relationship after we'd actually met. We had been talking for over a year previous to that .

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to come to the chat thread and meet us all - link's in my sig

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend recently broke up with me because he couldn't handle our long distance relationship anymore we had been together for 2 years. I'm still at home whilst he's at Bath uni and I'm finding it so hard to feel normal again. It been 3 weeks and I'm still a wreck.
    The fact that he's already seeing another girl is making it so much harder. I still love him so much. We're not on bad terms and both want to stay friends, but it's really hard to control my jelousy! I constantly feel like crying and it's making me behind on my work. I really don't want to mess up my A levels! I couldn't stand living here an extra year so I need to go to uni this october.
    I don't disagree with him about him breaking up with me, it had to happen some time I suppose cause we only saw each other once a month, which was really hard for both of us. When I go to uni in October, we would have seen each other even less so it would not have worked. Although I know it was probably the right thing to do, I still can't accept it and just want to be with him forever! I have constant urges to phone,text etc. him all the time but I'm trying my best to control it because I'm afraid this will make him angry and ruin our chance of being friends. I guess it's normal to feel like this with your first love. I can't see myself with anyone else, but I hope I can find someone else soon because I really want to move on and hate being single.
    Does anyone else whos been in a similar situation as me have any advice about what I can do to feel normal again? I know I can't magically feel better straight away but any progression would be good!

ReputationRep:
    That's a sad story clementine - I'm so sorry. Feel free to come and chat to us in the chat thread if you would like to.
    I don't know that you or he can really blame the distance for this though - many of us in LDRs see (or saw) our other halves much less than once a month and still get/got through it, and the fact that he's already with another girl indicates that this perhaps would have still ended even if you were living down the road from each other. Perhaps if you two are really right for each other you'll get back together regardless of the distance.
    As for what to do in the meantime, there's obviously studies and going out with friends, but in addition to this, why not use this opportunity to better yourself and do something you've always wanted to do? Think of whatever it is and do it

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I found out a few days ago that my boyfriend is going to America to study for a year. We're both in 2nd year at uni and been going out for a year and a half. I graduate when he returns so I'll be away finding a job when he's still at uni.

To tell the truth I've been really depressed and upset about it cos I don't know how I'm going to cope next year without him. I see him near enough every day at the mo and he's my best friend and it's gonna be so hard to keep the relationship going.

I don't think I've had very good advice, not that comforting anyway. Some of my friends says it not a good enough reason to break up over and the others say that you will loose the spark out of the relationship and it won't be the same.

My boyfriend even said to me that he was thinking of breaking up as it'll give me a chance to find someone else and I won't be on my own. Even now I know he's going next year I feel so unhappy when I see him cos I know we won't be together for long before he goes.

Are my feelings rational or am I being overdramatic? I feel very confused and I suppose I don't have any peace of mind. I really don't know what to think. Please help.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa2009)
    Hey

I found out a few days ago that my boyfriend is going to America to study for a year. We're both in 2nd year at uni and been going out for a year and a half. I graduate when he returns so I'll be away finding a job when he's still at uni.

To tell the truth I've been really depressed and upset about it cos I don't know how I'm going to cope next year without him. I see him near enough every day at the mo and he's my best friend and it's gonna be so hard to keep the relationship going.

I don't think I've had very good advice, not that comforting anyway. Some of my friends says it not a good enough reason to break up over and the others say that you will loose the spark out of the relationship and it won't be the same.

My boyfriend even said to me that he was thinking of breaking up as it'll give me a chance to find someone else and I won't be on my own. Even now I know he's going next year I feel so unhappy when I see him cos I know we won't be together for long before he goes.

Are my feelings rational or am I being overdramatic? I feel very confused and I suppose I don't have any peace of mind. I really don't know what to think. Please help.

xxx
    It is a crappy feeling, one I have had. I spent 2 years away from my girlfriend, and somehow we are still together now. Basically I told her not to wait for me, and that she should find someone. She chose not to though, and when I came back we discovered we both really wanted to be together so picked up where we left off.

But I wouldn't break up beforehand. I'd let things play out, and only break up if there arise real problems with you being apart.

Don't end it for fear of what might happen. If after a year you are still together great! If at some point you are having problems then end it, but wait until there really is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I would've found it really hard but I would've tried to wait. My bf was supposed to be going to America on a football scholarship but he decided not to. Think it was partly because of me, but other reasons too which made me feel a lot better about it because I'd have felt horrible if he like, totally put his life on hold for me.

ReputationRep:
    this september, my boyfriend's going to uni and i'll be in year 13. this next year will probably be fairly hard...but i know i'll see him at least once a fortnight, probably once a week and probably for the entire weekend (all his uni choices are nearby). however, next year i'll be going to uni...and i don't know what to do. i've had my heart set on ULIP (university of london in paris) however, that means only seeing him once a month,perhaps less...and i don't know if we'll be able to cope. i know that we're strong, but are we that strong? i'm half hoping he'll propose before then (we already know we want to get married, but we won't set a date till he proposes) but obviously i can't count on being engaged to keep us together.
    just a general question: do people think i'll regret going to ULIP (and possibly breaking up with the love of my life) more than i'll regret settling for ucl/king's/royal holloway/oxford? (bearing in mind that the degree at king's/royal holloway gives the opportunity for 6 months at ULIP anyway..)
    thanks xx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.