Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    o here we go

(Original post by daveywavey)
    Hi Anon 50. What you've written makes sense to me. Where are you visiting him too and where are you travelling from?
    Hiya, visiting Germany travelling from Singapore. (I really should just abandon anon...:rolleyes: )
    But yes, I've been replaying the leaving-at-the-airport scene in my head over and over. It isn't pretty but somehow that doesn't worry me as much since I know it'll be over in a flash. Kinda like ripping a band-aid off, it's the gaping wound which is greater cause for concern.

Oh and re your question, it's worth a shot... anything's worth a shot, as long as you're both willing to put in the effort. G'luck.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun SianStrikeDown!

daveywavey and JJBarlow - thanks for your kind words. It was definitely very difficult at times - not doubt about that! - but for both of us it was unquestionably worth it. There was never a moment where not being with him at all seemed a better alternative and I love living with him. If I can do it, you guys certainly can too.

ReputationRep:
    Won't be seeing my girlfriend for 7 weeks Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languagesfreak)
    Won't be seeing my girlfriend for 7 weeks Bad times.
    Won't see my girlfriend until may half term ... I know the feeling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloodlust)
    I'm waiting till May half term too
    It seems like its ages and ages away. Oh I really hope it goes quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    I'm waiting till May half term too
    It seems like its ages and ages away. Oh I really hope it goes quickly!
    same... only four more weeks at college left before then though
    (shame im having to endure a few exams though .. but I'll live)

ReputationRep:
    Half term is a mere 5 weeks away though :p: My girlfriend is free then, it's just that her parents are kinda strict about her revising.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Gotta wait til June. Still, not as bad as the 5 months I had to wait before Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    Aw my guys home for 3 days only and he's decided to go and get himself an infectious disease the silly git.

so i wont get to see him until august. i wouldnt have cared so much if only i knew that he wasnt 15mins drive from me. the phrase so close and yet so far is rather apt

ReputationRep:
    same... only four more weeks at college left before then though
    (shame im having to endure a few exams though .. but I'll live)
    My exams come after he's home. I'm worried about balancing seeing him and keeping up with the revision and focusing on my exams :| ARGH.

ReputationRep:
    Just had to say goodbye to my boyfriend. Won't see him for 2 months. :'( can't stop crying

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend finished school for study leave yesterday (he's in Y11 so they start earlier than us) and I already couldn't stop crying. Not looking forward to having to be seperated on opposite ends of the world, with a 8 hour time difference for 10 weeks at a time come university in October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikegoddess)
    My boyfriend finished school for study leave yesterday (he's in Y11 so they start earlier than us) and I already couldn't stop crying. Not looking forward to having to be seperated on opposite ends of the world, with a 8 hour time difference for 10 weeks at a time come university in October
    8 hour time difference is a *****. I'm glad that it was only 10 days for me (was on holiday in japan) :hugs: for 10 weeks!

this may be something that will happen to me next year and i keep getting really upset about it.
    for anyone else that's doing this, how do you cope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    this may be something that will happen to me next year and i keep getting really upset about it.
    for anyone else that's doing this, how do you cope?
    What kind of situation are you going to be in?
    I find it hard because I'm the one who has stayed at home, and I won't try to make you feel better by saying "Oh its easy don't worry about it" because it is very hard, and difficult to get used to.
    However, when you do get used to it it gets better. It never becomes easy and you always miss your other half. But if the options are being far away from your boyfriend/girlfriend for a while at a time or not having them at all, for me there is no option. Being with him, no matter how far away he may be, is always going to win. I couldn't live without him.

My boyfriend went to Uni whilst I stayed at home. He had all these new experiences and was having loads of fun whilst I felt like I was stuck in the same position as I'd always been.
    However, we chatted all the time and told each other all about our days and that REALLY helps. If you can really involve each other in your experiences and life then if one of you does change a little, you can change with each other. And that is really important in my eyes.

I've been doing this since September and spend roughly 3 weeks away from my boyfriend at a time. At the moment I'm dealing with 5 weeks away from him, which is very hard, but its worth it. And we chat each day and he makes me laugh and tells me how he's feeling and it makes it so much easier.

Another very important thing is to tell each other exactly how you're feeling and not hide any little worries, its better to get them out in the open and talk them out. Otherwise they fester and you worry and it makes it seem worse. Your partner loves you and won't mind listening to your worries, having them reassure you or help you is something important.
    If you have a disagreement I would advise that you don't go to sleep without you've sorted it. When you're both at home and have something come between you its okay to leave it a bit, but when the other person is away I've found that its harder. So if me and my boyfriend have any disgreements or something comes between us, we give each other a bit of space but then always ring each other before we go to sleep so we don't have any negative feelings.

Its not easy but its manageable and you do get used to it. Its different for everyone, some people just can't do it. But if you really love each other its worth it and you CAN make it work. This thread is full of people who have made it through years of LDRs and sometimes international ones, not just ones in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikegoddess)
    :hugs: I had to do 10weeks over the summer with that kind of time difference [i think ours was 6?] so have some massive :hugs::hugs: I suppose with that distance there's no chance of trips in between? Just try and feel confident in the knowledge that you can do it. It will be hard but it will be so SO worth it. If you two truly love each other and are prepared to put the effort in, the distance and the time difference wont matter. It'll be hard, but what will that say about the two of you? =]

ReputationRep:
    I miss my boyfriend It's already been two weeks since I saw him last, it could be another 3 until I see him again at this rate with exams and what not *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Im going to see my baby in 6 dayssss

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back from the airport... my bf is flying back home. I feel a bit upset after 7 wonderful days together... every time saying goodbye is more and more difficult. Next time we're gonna see each other will be the beginning of JUne (luckily is soon enough!)
    We've been together for more than one year now, long distance for 10 months...
    I've applied for a Master for next year, in the uni where my bf is studying atm and where we met last year (I was an exchange student there). Although this Ldr is working perfectly, I can't wait to see him every single day!
    I'm moving to his country... for us! Don't like being apart.. and despite the fact he's studying Italian, he wouldn't move here I think and I am more than happy to go "back" to England, where I've had a really good time.
    All of this to say that for me LDRs are worthy and dreams come true if u are willing to change something of your life to make the distance stop at some point.
    I couldn't resist one year more far from my love.

Good night guys!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.