The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
I know, I really don't want to lose him - I love him so much and I have such a fantastic time with him...when we're together. And we're only together a few days a month. I need to think this over some more, thanks for your help though.

From what you've said it sounds like you shouldn't break up with him.
Will you get to spend summer together?
And is there no way the 3 years can be cut down at all?

If you don't want to lose him and you miss him a lot then I think it shows you love him enough to stick it out.
Reply 3261
I've had a lovely day on my birthday yesterday but I missed my girlfriend so much, I just wished she was there.

I get to see her soon anyway - hopefully on saturday if I'm lucky which is awesome - if not it will be just over a week. I'm seriously looking forward to the holidays where I'll be able to see her more often.... Maybe even try and convince her to go somewhere nice for a few days - though I don't want to scare her with that idea :p:
subscribe
lucyhol1012
From what you've said it sounds like you shouldn't break up with him.
Will you get to spend summer together?
And is there no way the 3 years can be cut down at all?

If you don't want to lose him and you miss him a lot then I think it shows you love him enough to stick it out.

No, the three years can't be cut down at all - it's my uni course (four years).

I know that I love him, and I know that I want to be with him. But at the same time, I don't know that it's going to last forever, and I'm not sure that it's worth all the pain. If I could guarantee that we could stay friends and we had a chance at love in the future, I would probably break up with him. But of course I can't guarantee that, so it's whether I throw away this chance at a real true love, or I sacrifice part of my happiness at uni. Hopefully we will spend summer together, but I'm a very busy, active person and he's not, so I'm not sure how much time we'll actually have together.
kexy
I've had a lovely day on my birthday yesterday but I missed my girlfriend so much, I just wished she was there.

I get to see her soon anyway - hopefully on saturday if I'm lucky which is awesome - if not it will be just over a week. I'm seriously looking forward to the holidays where I'll be able to see her more often.... Maybe even try and convince her to go somewhere nice for a few days - though I don't want to scare her with that idea :p:

How come I hear all the interesting stuff on here first?
Its so nice reading through some of these comments and realising that other people in LDRs are going through the same sort of things as me.

I've been long distance with my boyfriend for nearly two years now, and I find that non LDRers never really understand the kinda problems I have.

I'm often in the same situation as some of you guys - kinda wondering if the pain caused by being apart is really worth it. The hole situation just seems so unfair! When me and my boyfriend are together things are incredible, and I feel so loved up and elated but then when we're apart I just feel so lost, and can't help but feel down about the prospects of not being together in the near future.

He's currently at university and I hope to study medicine in 2010. I just hate, hate, hate not having an end point in sight. I can't say "In a years time we will be at university together and we can move in with each other" etc etc. The fact our seperate situations are so different is making the end point where we get to be closer together so far away, and it really is making me question if it would be kinder to both of us to just end it now. What happens if we kinda carry on now endlessly without this end point in mind, and then feel we have been defeated and have wasted the last X amount of years.

Eugh! I hate how LDR make you question your future so much, and how they make you philosophise. This tooing and frowing sucks, but I guess at the end of the day you have to weigh up whether you would prefer to be unhappy but still have them or be unhappy and not have them at all.

/Rant. Thankyou for reading that if you managed to get to the end! Got a bit carried away.

Stay strong everyone =)
For those of you doubting your relationships because they're LD: how much of a social life do you have at uni? I only ask because having been in an international LDR for 3.5 years before moving in with the guy, we attribute the success of it at least partly to the fact that we were able to stay independent and have our own social lives rather than spending all our time missing each other (although that doesn't mean we never did!).
Angelil
For those of you doubting your relationships because they're LD: how much of a social life do you have at uni? I only ask because having been in an international LDR for 3.5 years before moving in with the guy, we attribute the success of it at least partly to the fact that we were able to stay independent and have our own social lives rather than spending all our time missing each other (although that doesn't mean we never did!).

I'm seconding that :smile: I know I miss my boyfriend more when I'm bored so I just have to fill my life up with stuff (even if it means working seven 7am shifts in a week). Doing stuff and having your own friends makes it a lot easier to cope!

I know the hardest thing for me is not the distance but the fact that he's at uni and I'm still at home - so he's off enjoying himself whilst I'm at home bored to death! (looking forward to uni, in a BIG way!)
Angelil

I have a great social life, and love being at uni. The problem is that he doesn't get to share that with me, and he can get very jealous of me being friends with other guys, saying that they just want to sleep with me. And when I see my friends with boyfriends at university, who they can go out with and see on a daily basis, I get so frustrated that I can't do that with my boyfriend, that to see him I have to spend five hours on a train and miss a weekend of fun at uni.

I suppose, when I think about it properly, the problem isn't that I miss him, because I have plenty to distract myself with. The problem is that I feel like I'm wasting my time having a guy that's so far away, who I hardly ever get to spend time with. Of course, when I do see him, this feeling all changes, because I love him so much and just love spending time with him. If I didn't think he was incredible, there's no way we'd still be together. But I wonder if any guy is really worth this much hassle, especially as I can't see us being together forever.
That jealousy doesn't sound good. Have the two of you ever talked about his insecurities?
A bit, but it doesn't seem to help. I've had a few 'incidents' at uni, where guys have admitted they like me and tried to get with me, and because I'm very honest, I've told my boyfriend about these situations. Maybe that was a mistake, and has caused this, but he's been jealous of other guys before. I reassure him that nothing's going to happen, but I think he's just terrified that I'll cheat on him because I've cheated before. He doesn't seem to understand that now it's completely different, because I'm in love with him.

Aside from that, he's incredibly insecure about everything. He hates university, hates his course but won't change them (trust me, I've given him every option I can and each one gets rejected, so I've accepted that he won't leave his uni until he graduates). It gets very difficult for me to support him, and I find myself getting upset after I've spoken to him because he's so miserable. He's sometimes like this when he's actually with me, but not always. When he's happy, he's the best person in the world. When he isn't, he's a nightmare, and that, combined with the long-distance thing, makes me feel very hopeless about our relationship.
So the long-distance thing exacerbates the problems, rather than causing them. I see :frown:

I know it's not really blokish but have you suggested he keeps a diary in which to vent all this?
Haha, he does keep a diary - a meticulous one in fact. I'm not sure how much it helps - I've obviously never read it so I don't know how upsetting his thoughts really are. I want to stay with him, but my parents tell me that I'm too young to try to cope with his problems as well as my own, and think that even if this lasts through university, I will have gone through a lot of pain for something that will just come to an end later in our lives. It seems horrible to have him being miserable as a reason why I should break up with him, because as his girlfriend I should support him through anything, but this is something I find very difficult to cope with and when I'm far away, you're right, it just exacerbates the problems.

Thanks for your help Angelil, I really appreciate it.
Don't worry - it's what the thread is here for!
I don't usually believe in breaks, but maybe you two could take a small one if it's what you both want - give himself some time to sort out his issues a little bit and then try again? I've never had experience of this type of problem in a relationship though so can't help in any specific way. However, I always found my uni counselling service helpful so maybe he could try this as well if he thinks it would help.
I've suggested counselling numerous times and he just won't try it - he doesn't trust counsellors or doctors. I guess I'll just see how the summer goes, thanks for your help :smile:
Anonymous

But I wonder if any guy is really worth this much hassle, especially as I can't see us being together forever.

This sentence stuck out. If you can't see yourself being with him forever then why subject yourself to this misery and prolong the relationship? From what you've said, travelling to see him is a 5 hour hassle (and you miss a weekend's fun at uni). Frankly, if visiting your bf becomes a chore and you'd rather be at uni having fun then perhaps it is an indication that you are no longer as invested in this relationship as before. Do realise that being able to see your other half a few days a month plus summer is sometimes much more than others are able to.

Also, as previously mentioned, the issue about missing out on uni life because you're in an LDR. ********. It seems to be that those who lament about missing out on uni life basically want the opportunity to fool around. Because everything else at uni can be experienced and enjoyed even while attached. Sure, there are things and times you might wish that you could share with your bf and the urge to slap lovey-dovey-couples around you never quite fade but that's essentially it. Somehow, I'm sensing (i may be wrong of course) that either you have realised that your bf isn't quite right for you and there are other fish in the sea thus you really want to end it. Or that you're selfish and you want to hold on to him just in case you can't find anyone better but still have the luxury of messing around. Honestly, anybody who wants to break up while in university and then get back together later just so they can 'enjoy uni life' is rather selfish.

Well, the above might be harsh but that's my honest opinion. I've seen and heard enough of similar excuses from my friends in LDR and this isn't anything different.
Anonymous
This sentence stuck out. If you can't see yourself being with him forever then why subject yourself to this misery and prolong the relationship? From what you've said, travelling to see him is a 5 hour hassle (and you miss a weekend's fun at uni). Frankly, if visiting your bf becomes a chore and you'd rather be at uni having fun then perhaps it is an indication that you are no longer as invested in this relationship as before. Do realise that being able to see your other half a few days a month plus summer is sometimes much more than others are able to.

Also, as previously mentioned, the issue about missing out on uni life because you're in an LDR. ********. It seems to be that those who lament about missing out on uni life basically want the opportunity to fool around. Because everything else at uni can be experienced and enjoyed even while attached. Sure, there are things and times you might wish that you could share with your bf and the urge to slap lovey-dovey-couples around you never quite fade but that's essentially it. Somehow, I'm sensing (i may be wrong of course) that either you have realised that your bf isn't quite right for you and there are other fish in the sea thus you really want to end it. Or that you're selfish and you want to hold on to him just in case you can't find anyone better but still have the luxury of messing around. Honestly, anybody who wants to break up while in university and then get back together later just so they can 'enjoy uni life' is rather selfish.

Well, the above might be harsh but that's my honest opinion. I've seen and heard enough of similar excuses from my friends in LDR and this isn't anything different.

I couldn't agree more with what you've said. I have a few friends who are going to university come September and are breaking up because they want to "Enjoy the university experience" which is just ridiculous if you ask me.
Their poor boyfriends have no idea they feel like this though. It sucks.
Anonymous

I do not want to mess around with other people. There is absolutely no-one else on the scene and, to be honest, I can't really see there being anyone else for a long time. Maybe you haven't read the rest of my posts - my major problem is that right now my boyfriend is miserable at university and this makes me unhappy. It's been a difficult year for me trying to support him and enjoy my time at uni as well. Us being together is a rollercoaster of emotions, when we're together it can be amazing, but it can be horrible if he gets depressed. Now that's difficult to cope with in any relationship but especially when it's long distance. How would you like sacrificing a night out with your friends to stay in and talk to your partner, only to hear that they're miserable and won't accept any of your suggestions which might make them happier, then have to cry yourself to sleep because they're desperately unhappy but so stubborn that they won't change? Part of me hopes that me breaking up with him might force him to jolt out of this and then be happier. But it probably won't. I've tried absolutely everything I can, and my fear is that this will go on throughout university and I'll spend some of the best years of my life trying to look after someone I deeply love but who is never going to be happy. My parents think that we will break up at some point ANYWAY so I may as well end it now and save myself a lot of pain.

Please don't accuse me of being so selfish, I have sacrificed an awful lot of happiness for this guy, and though I'm not a perfect girlfriend, ******* other people is really not something I'm interested in.
on a lighter note, the time until my LDR ends is absolutely flying by, every day is going so fast, simply cannot wait for june 19th! :smile: :smile: :smile:
naughtyhamster
on a lighter note, the time until my LDR ends is absolutely flying by, every day is going so fast, simply cannot wait for june 19th! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Mine ends on Tuesday :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
Can you tell that I'm excited? :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending