The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for all the answers to my nosey question!!
The guy I'm seeing is about 3 hours away from me too. How do you all cope with the cost of travel? Do you all just save up like mad?
Well I think you just need to know some little tricks sometimes, especially with train fares. If you look back a couple of pages I was showing greenjellybean how to split her tickets and it knocked about £20 off her single fare.

I always split my tickets to my bf's, I buy a single from London or Bristol to either Manchester, Leeds or York and then another single from those stations and do the same for the return journey. That can save you so much money.

When money's a big issue and I'm absolutely broke I have to get the coach, which takes quite a lot longer but it's usually really cheap from London. Even now, I'm in Bristol but I'm getting the train back to London to travel to his from there coz it's cheaper than getting a train straight from Bristol.

Sometimes buying tickets takes me forever. I free myself up some time, get a pen and a notebook and keep note of all the different prices there and the same with return then add up the different ones to find the cheapest.
hannahdaisy
Well I think you just need to know some little tricks sometimes, especially with train fares. If you look back a couple of pages I was showing greenjellybean how to split her tickets and it knocked about £20 off her single fare.

I always split my tickets to my bf's, I buy a single from London or Bristol to either Manchester, Leeds or York and then another single from those stations and do the same for the return journey. That can save you so much money.

When money's a big issue and I'm absolutely broke I have to get the coach, which takes quite a lot longer but it's usually really cheap from London. Even now, I'm in Bristol but I'm getting the train back to London to travel to his from there coz it's cheaper than getting a train straight from Bristol.

Sometimes buying tickets takes me forever. I free myself up some time, get a pen and a notebook and keep note of all the different prices there and the same with return then add up the different ones to find the cheapest.
Ah, that's brilliant stuff thanks.
This is all so new to me, but I've been looking at singles/returns and it does seem cheaper to split them up n stuff. It'd take 8hrs by coach, so I'm just gonna save like a loon I think.

Thanks ladies, all helpful thanks.
No problem! Just see where your train stops and if there's any changes etc and break it up along those lines, making sure you buy tickets with the right times. Eg, you don't wanna book a ticket from London to Manchester, get to Manchester at 2pm and then realise your train from there left at 1.50.

And get a 16-25 railcard if you don't already have one :smile:
Yeah, I'm 23 so I'll have to get one of those pretty sharpish hehe.
Ilora-Danon
How do you all cope with the cost of travel? Do you all just save up like mad?

I usually use the money I get from my Saturday job and my college EMA. Although my flights usually cost between £60-£100. So it's not cheap just for a domestic flight.
My man is around 4hrs away by coach (not much less by train) + distance from station to home. Tickets are only £4 each way in advance so it's pretty good. And he's found a bus buddy who also comes up to visit his girlfriend and gets the same coach every weekend, so they sit next to each other on the way there and back - it's so cute, haha! I think it'd be so sweet if they fell in love and started seeing each other instead :love:
Reply 3947
has anybody ever lasted in a LDR the entire way through uni? i could just do with hearing that somebody has, cos he's only been gone a week and i'm sad already :'( it just feels all wrong.. i hate that i'm his girlfriend and i see him less than his flatmates who he's known a week :'( i hate sleeping alone!!
3 years to go... :frown:
Samz
has anybody ever lasted in a LDR the entire way through uni? i could just do with hearing that somebody has, cos he's only been gone a week and i'm sad already :'( it just feels all wrong.. i hate that i'm his girlfriend and i see him less than his flatmates who he's known a week :'( i hate sleeping alone!!

There are so many people here who have gone all the way through uni :smile:
I did one year and then moved and am now a lot closer to my boyfriend.
At first it really does seem horrid but you get used to it.

How far away is your boyfriend?
Samz

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
Reply 3950
hey.. need a bit of advice form people who know what I'm going through really!

basically my boyfriend and I have been together for about 2 years.. I'm turning 18 and in U6 he has just started his second year of uni in lincoln (which is about an hour and a half- 2 hours from me).

basically last year while he was a fresher we split up becuase the LDR wasnt working.. turned out we missed each other so much we got back together and have been since..

Last month he went back to uni and it's like he's gone to another universe or something..
he has ALWAYS been the one who would ring me more or text me more.. now I dont have anythign unless I initiate a conversation.. even then they are short texts or rushed conversations.. he promised he'd pop home for a day or so and he hasnt even made an effort to..
So I'm going up to stay with him for a weekend soon.. and I almost feel like he doesnt want me there..

I dont know whether to mention how I feel.. becuase I dont want to make him feel guilty.. as before he went he said if I missed him to much he'd come back.. but he seems to be having such a good time..

help please.. I don't know whether I'm overeacting or not..
Reply 3951
Hi guys :smile: I've been stalking this thread for a short while as I've not long got into my first proper relationship (aside from the douches I dated in my teens!) and it's a long distance one! He's gone to uni to study Video Game Development because he's awesome like that and while I had no doubts that we'll stay together, reading your stories about how you're making it work give people like me that extra support too :smile:

I'm lucky in the sense that he's only less than an hour away by car and has a train station just round the corner from his uni, but unlucky in the sense that I just can't pass my driving test and that it takes a bus and two trains to get to him AND I work Saturday nights :frown: We email eachother through the day, his free internet gets cut off tomorrow and we didn't think he'd be able to afford to get it back but somehow he's managed it, and we'll be texting too when I finally get my free messages back (come on Oct. 10th!)

He doesn't want to come home every weekend he says it'll feel like he's never been away which I understand bless him, when he's home he's only about 10mins away and both his parents drive so they pick him up and take him back and they pick me up to come stay at his house too which is great of them. I stayed at his house last night after not seeing him for over 2 weeks (save for a few hours on my birthday last week) this next time's gonna be a bit longer as my next Saturday off is the 31st so he said he'll come back then :smile:

Sorry for the long rant there but I've wanted to post here for a while but kept putting it off lol I know that some people have a bigger distance between them and their partners and that my situation is something that they'd love to trade for but I think the point is that you can't be with the one you love as much as you'd want to and for that I think we're all in the same boat.
Anyone know the cheapest way by Train to get from london to Glasgow? Thanks :smile: I've been stalking this thread for a while now! x
Cy4nide
I think the point is that you can't be with the one you love as much as you'd want to and for that I think we're all in the same boat.

So true. Good luck with your boyfriend (:
Reply 3954
MysteryPass
So true. Good luck with your boyfriend (:

Thanks, same to you and everyone here :3
lucyhol1012
There are so many people here who have gone all the way through uni :smile:
I did one year and then moved and am now a lot closer to my boyfriend.
At first it really does seem horrid but you get used to it.

How far away is your boyfriend?

My boyfriends just gone to uni this weekend (very long way away!)..dnt seem real yet..although on the other hand..it feels really weird :s-smilie: Has anyone else had a similar feeling?
Gracie_liv
Anyone know the cheapest way by Train to get from london to Glasgow? Thanks :smile: I've been stalking this thread for a while now! x

Probably to split the tickets halfway through. Try doing something like London to York and then York to Glasgow, or London to Manchester, then Manchester to Glasgow etc. Just London to somewhere in the middle of the country/up north, then continue the journey from there.

Might take you a while to find the best route but it'll be worth it.
Gracie_liv

Go on nationalrail.co.uk and click on "Find cheapest fair available" and that will give you the cheapest you can do it. Whether it is direct or indirect.
Virgin go London to Glasgow, and they have advance fairs that aren't very dear.
I did London to Liverpool for only £7 so have a look on their and book as far in advance as you can.
if you go long distance tho..surely it would be quite expensive to split them? buy the tickets months in advance so theyre much cheaper AND with a railcard =]
But also watch out... if you buy them as soon as there are tickets for that date available, they may not have released the cheap ones yet (I've fallen into this trap before...). If you're booking way in advance and you think they're still expensive, keep checking back every day for a week or two - sometimes cheaper ones magically appear!

As a general rule though, like everyone else has said, plan way, way ahead :smile:

I did Aberdeen to Cambridge for two years (he's now in Dundee, and much more accessible!) and learnt to always use the National Express East Coast website. They often give you 10% off (on top of rail card savings!) for journeys via their lines.

Also, sometimes it was a lot cheaper to go via the west coast. It took about 2 hours longer, but no one expects you to travel from Aberdeen to Cambridge via Glasgow, Carlisle and London so it's sometimes considerably cheaper.

For London to Glasgow, pinkaliengoo does this regularly - I'll see if she can offer any tips...

Also, there is an NXEC train that goes direct from Kings Cross to Glasgow. Don't know about prices (I always get off at Edinburgh and Peterborough) but it would be pretty amazing to have no changes, and there's free wi-fi on all NXEC trains, which is worth knowing if you use train journeys to do uni work.

Hope some of this helps someone - I'm actually missing the train ticket hunting process now he's an hour and a bit down the road and I can just jump on any train for about £10 (£6 if I book in advance!). Lovely being able to see him more or less every weekend though :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending