Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now, we went to the same high school and live a 5 mn drive from each other at the moment. im going to university this september and im really worried about missing him. he works full time and were going to go from seeing each other everyday to once a fortnight at most. does anyone have any advice on how to stop myself becomming miserable and irrational?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Make sure you get on with your life and don't spend all your time dwelling on how much you miss them. If you stay active then you'll be happy and have something to talk about when you see your boyfriend :yy: As long as you trust them and talk plenty then it wont be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    i have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now, we went to the same high school and live a 5 mn drive from each other at the moment. im going to university this september and im really worried about missing him. he works full time and were going to go from seeing each other everyday to once a fortnight at most. does anyone have any advice on how to stop myself becomming miserable and irrational?
    I am in pretty much the same situation at the moment...
    We have been together 2 and a half years, went to the same high school, lived 5 mins away and now live 200 miles apart as from 7 weeks ago.
    It's really not as bad as i thought it was going to be. Like SmilerNuts said...
    Keep yourself occupied and try not to think about missing him so much!
    The time you'll start to spend with each other you'll appreciate more

Hope that was a little helpful x

ReputationRep:
    heey. i've posted in here before. and this is just more of a rant than anything because there's nothing really i can do.

my boyfriend and i are obviously in an LDR and i met him because his parents are divorced and his mum lives about 3 hours away from me, whilst his dad lives down the road. he lives with his mum normally and goes to uni in the same town as he lives.

his uncle (dad's brother) died last week and he's up here where i live for the funeral now. and we can't see eachother. i understand completely that yesterday and today are about his uncle and i know that's he's not here to see me. but it still kind of hurts that he's just down the road from me but i can't see him.

we really do want to see eachother, but his dad's obviously really upset and my boyfriend doesn't want to leave him, and i feel it would be inappropiate for me to go to his house considering how his dad's feeling. he came up late last night and he's going home tonight after the funeral. and i'm just really sad i wouldn't expect it to be any other way but it still feels rubbish. i probably won't see him for another two and a half weeks, having not seen him for 3 weeks already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveyou_xx)
    heey. i've posted in here before. and this is just more of a rant than anything because there's nothing really i can do.

my boyfriend and i are obviously in an LDR and i met him because his parents are divorced and his mum lives about 3 hours away from me, whilst his dad lives down the road. he lives with his mum normally and goes to uni in the same town as he lives.

his uncle (dad's brother) died last week and he's up here where i live for the funeral now. and we can't see eachother. i understand completely that yesterday and today are about his uncle and i know that's he's not here to see me. but it still kind of hurts that he's just down the road from me but i can't see him.

we really do want to see eachother, but his dad's obviously really upset and my boyfriend doesn't want to leave him, and i feel it would be inappropiate for me to go to his house considering how his dad's feeling. he came up late last night and he's going home tonight after the funeral. and i'm just really sad i wouldn't expect it to be any other way but it still feels rubbish. i probably won't see him for another two and a half weeks, having not seen him for 3 weeks already.
    He might find a minute to come and say hello, but you understand why if he can't. I dn't really have any advice just :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    so how do all you long distance people cope..do you speak everyday, how often do you see each other, how about finances with travelling etc?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I talked to her pretty much every day without fail. Saw her a minimum of once every 2 weeks. Solved travelling costs problem by moving in together :yy:

ReputationRep:
    My boy and I try to speak everyday. We can't always manage it, because we're each off doing different things + the time difference really causes problems. But if we don't get to speak via msn, we'll generally send an email/facebook message etc so there's pretty much been contact every day since he left apart from a few days here and there when we havent had internet access.

When I go off to uni, e'll both have railcards which will help with the travel costs, and then hopefully we'll try and take it in turns to do the travelling which makes it more fair. I'm oping we'll be able to see each other fortnightly, but his job and college/my timetable might not allow it. I think in an LDR you have to be quite flexible.

ReputationRep:
    We have some kind of contact every day. Mostly text (though he's trying to last til Monday with only £2 of credit!) but some long waffly emails and occasionally MSN (he only has dial-up). Then we speak on the phone twice a week, usually Monday and Friday when our families are at work! He's calling this afternoon.

As for visiting, it's hard at the moment. I'm job hunting so nothing is certain, and I have to get time off my part time job, which I obviously can't do too often. He's been here once and I'm going to see him in about a week for a week. Then he's moving up north for work and we're hoping to see each other at least every other weekend. Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    We try and speak on the phone everyday, but that's not always possible. We have at least some form of contact though.
    We probably see each other about 3/4 days every 2 week where i will go down and stay with him or he'll come up here.
    At the moment I have a job to finance my trips to see him but when I go back to uni I'll have my student loan.

ReputationRep:
    We text every day...most nights might speak on msn if were not busy or working etc. Probably speak on the phone about once a week, if that, cos I dont like talking on the phone.

If hes over here, we take turns to go see each other (him near uni, me at home for summer) as much as we both can I guess, usually once a week though. He's back home in ireland at the minute so I've got a flight to go see him for a few days. Think thats gonna be a one off cos hes not gonna be home much more

ReputationRep:
    How often we contact each other depends on the situation...

When he was in america for three months, it was just e-mails every 3/4 days (but sometimes not for weeks) and a few letters when he knew he wouldn't be able to get near a computer.

When he's at uni and I'm at home, we e-mail daily and phone once a week or so, and I visited him once during each of first two terms. I paid for the travelling, and he paid for most of what I ate/drank while I was there. But during the last term I got us both O2 simcards so that I could phone him for free, and I got to speak to him every day which was fantastic. Next year, he'll probably largely be visiting me (once or twice) during term time (since the lucky bum's getting £6000 from Wales and Durham Uni) and I'll go and stay with him at uni once my term's finished.

Right now he'll be travelling around Europe for the rest of the month, which is definitely more of a holiday than an LDR but I can't help but get the LDR mentality about it. I've told him he has to text me every day (so I know he's still alive) but that'll probably be it other than a phonecall on results day.

ah for gods sake, we have all explained stuff, if you love eachother enough then you will be ok

stop repeating what others have already said in the previous threads, and JUST GO ALONG WITH IT.

gah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ah for gods sake, we have all explained stuff, if you love eachother enough then you will be ok

stop repeating what others have already said in the previous threads, and JUST GO ALONG WITH IT.

gah!
    The thread is here for advice
    Sometimes people just need reassurance

ReputationRep:
    lol my girlfriend boobed me 1 month after we went to diffrent universities. though i wanted to stay 2 gether it turned out better for us both, cause i grew up and matured became my own person met loads of new ppl who just give a better time, im not saying that 4 everyone because all of my flatmates have long ditsnace relationships and they do it fine, but when i broke up with my buddha after a few months i was glad, but like i said some ppl do it really well....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

gah!
    You needed to be anon for that?!

its an advice centre, its here to give advice and reassure people. dont like it dont read it and if you're going to be like that at least have the courage to not hide behind the anon function :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the girls. Better to have all the LDR stuff in one thread which is easily avoidable if you don't like it. Maybe an LDR FAQ should be made in the first post or something but people still need reassurance sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    He might find a minute to come and say hello, but you understand why if he can't. I dn't really have any advice just :hugs:
    just in case you wanted to know, he called his work last night and told them he couldn't come in this weekend, and when they got angry at him he was like well i want to be with my girlfriend :rolleyes: so i get to spend the whole weekend with him it's a good job he's had that job for ages and knows everyone personally or they'd fire him. i was worried about that so when he told me i made him ring back and apologise lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hey just thought i'd post here as a bit of encouragement for others... I have been with my boyfriend for over four years now, lived with him for 2 years. And last October i moved into halls at uni and he moved away from our home town. We didn't see each other all that often, and still i'm only getting to see him like once every 3 or 4 weeks, but we speak on the phone every night and text when we can. We are still together and still very much in love. Just goes to show that if it is meant to be then an LDR will work!!
    I have 2 more years at uni still, but hopefully after that i will be able to move back with my boyfriend and we can pick up where we left off!

Good luck to anyone about to embark on an LDR and keep going all those who are in the awful situation at the moment xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    so how do all you long distance people cope..do you speak everyday, how often do you see each other, how about finances with travelling etc?
    We communicate somehow virtually every day without fail, sometimes multiple times a day (whether by MSN, email, text or normal phone). We see each other on average every 4-8 weeks (it varies wildly!). Finances wrt travelling: when I was working (basically throughout my entire undergrad :p: ) I paid for virtually all the flights etc myself, except on the occasions when my parents offered (and I was hardly going to refuse :p: ). This year I've unfortunately not been able to work (and now have been jobhunting since March but nothing suitable has really come up, or even anything unsuitable :p: ) and so parents have been paying for all my visits there :o:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.