Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Webber)
    I'm just wondering whether I'm being realistic or simply focusing too much on the negatives? After all I know we'd make a good couple and we could be really happy together with the time we've got so should I just stop worrying so much and live in the moment?
    I think you are being rather cautious, due to your anxiety about it, which is understandable I suppose. The reality of whether or not a long-distance relationship will work depends on the individuals, I think. It doesn't work for some but, works for many others. So, I say go for it! You never know, right? I don't see the harm in trying it out. Even if it didn't work out in the end, at least you gave it a try. As you said, stop worrying so much and live in the moment, x.

(Original post by zar91)
    Does anyone else have problems with people not texting back? He's just not the same as me - he finds it hard to concentrate on his phone, especially when he has something else to do, so I tend to have to wait AGES for a reply (saying this, we've just had quite a quick conversation... when he's doing nothing it's easy). I've mentioned it and I know it doesn't really mean anything. We have 2-hour phone conversations once every 2/3 days which definitely helps a lot, but I don't want to frustrate him by asking for too much. I think I text more than normal and he texts less...
    I do! Well, the problem is me. I never text back because I barely ever have credit or.. I can never be bothered to get 'round to it anyways. =P So I can sympathise with him. Just not an ideal form of communication.. I'm really slow at texting, just either want to leave it or call them up instead. My boyfriend is the same regarding e-mails too. I think we've both kind of.. left texting and e-mailing alone for the most part as a result.

Hope the time passes quickly for you though! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forgetful-fairy)
    ... I'm worried because my sailing instructor has been flirting with me (he's 23 and I'm 17) and although at first I liked the attention because I missed my own boyfriend, it's getting too weird and I don't know what to do about it. Also, is it bad of me that I talk to him? He's just a friend in my eyes but I don't want to lead the guy on or anything.
    Also, I don't know what to do about university choices, I want to be close to him but he'll probably go to uni on the south coast and I want to go to Durham, I know we can get through with even further distance (about 7/8? hours that) we're both unstable people (history of depression/s.h/eating disorders) and I get scared. Any advice? What can I do? And how can I cope while we're apart, it's tearing me up.
    With your sailing instructor, I'd say to just cut off his flirting a bit. Just.. don't flirt back and whatnot. If you feel that's really not working at all, then make it clear to him that you're not interested. Some people flirt to be friendly, not looking for anything else? He might not be thinking of taking it beyond the banter. I don't think it's bad that you talk to him though! You don't plan on doing anything with him anyways, so I don't see the harm.

Coping while apart, to me.. that's just something you have to ride out and get used to. Occupy yourself, keeping yourself busy is something a lot of people say you should do. Keep communication between you guys though and.. that's it, I think? Regarding Uni. choices, go to the Uni. you want to go to despite whatever he's up to. Never choose a place just to be closer. =) And hey, it may not work out for you, long-distance, but it's worth a try and so just enjoy your relationship as much as you can given the circumstances for however long it may last. x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Missing him at the moment. Was fine for the first three days then called him and he said he was eating so would call back later, never did. No answer to my text and now my phone is playing up and won't let me text, so I don't know if it got through. Would've been fine if he hadn't promised to call back *sigh*. Not going to see him till tomorrow evening at the earliest, but more like Wednesday.

I know it's nowhere near most peoples LDR woes but just had to get it out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)
    Missing him at the moment. Was fine for the first three days then called him and he said he was eating so would call back later, never did. No answer to my text and now my phone is playing up and won't let me text, so I don't know if it got through. Would've been fine if he hadn't promised to call back *sigh*. Not going to see him till tomorrow evening at the earliest, but more like Wednesday.

I know it's nowhere near most peoples LDR woes but just had to get it out there.
    Ahh, I totally know how you feel. I hate the expectation of it sometimes when I'm particularly looking forward to it. =( Usually when I'm having a crap day - walking outside. My boyfriend is prone to forgetting to call me back! I rarely have credit and rarely remember to take money with me on my ventures to top-up so, I can't call him instead, even though I know it's just that he's forgotten.

My boyfriend left for home today, he came here on the evening of the 14th. =D It was a surprise visit because he just decided to see me on that day, I thought he was joking at first.. ha ha, but I was really annoyed with so many things that day, so he thought he'd come to cheer me up.. and he really did! The next day, we walked out in heavy rain to take my little brother to nursery. He barely complained (he hates that kind of thing) and it was so nice to have company in such weather! [Sigh] But alas, I miss him. I don't usually miss him too much really but, I do this time. It was just nice having a little joyous distraction from some things, I suppose. Thinking of giving him a surprise trip when/if I'm ever free soon though! Heh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    Ahh, I totally know how you feel. I hate the expectation of it sometimes when I'm particularly looking forward to it. =( Usually when I'm having a crap day - walking outside. My boyfriend is prone to forgetting to call me back! I rarely have credit and rarely remember to take money with me on my ventures to top-up so, I can't call him instead, even though I know it's just that he's forgotten.

My boyfriend left for home today, he came here on the evening of the 14th. =D It was a surprise visit because he just decided to see me on that day, I thought he was joking at first.. ha ha, but I was really annoyed with so many things that day, so he thought he'd come to cheer me up.. and he really did! The next day, we walked out in heavy rain to take my little brother to nursery. He barely complained (he hates that kind of thing) and it was so nice to have company in such weather! [Sigh] But alas, I miss him. I don't usually miss him too much really but, I do this time. It was just nice having a little joyous distraction from some things, I suppose. Thinking of giving him a surprise trip when/if I'm ever free soon though! Heh.
    Awww a surprise trip would be nice I think. Mine came online last night, still not sure when I'm going to see him. I didn't used to be that bad but recently found out that very soon we're going to be in a LDR for a year so am already a bit upset and insecure.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm new to Student Room. I'm in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend. We recently celebrated our one year anniversary but wont be seeing each other til middle of August. I've got him a few gifts for when I see him but I want to send him a note and a little gift before I see him. I have no idea what gift to get though. Any ideas?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just got the news I've been dreading. From August 9th I'll be in a LDR for a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *hopefull*Vet2Be)
    Hi,

I'm new to Student Room. I'm in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend. We recently celebrated our one year anniversary but wont be seeing each other til middle of August. I've got him a few gifts for when I see him but I want to send him a note and a little gift before I see him. I have no idea what gift to get though. Any ideas?
    What about your favourite photo of the two of you, in a nice frame?

Just got the news I've been dreading. From August 9th I'll be in a LDR for a year
    :hugs: How far?

ReputationRep:
    I was gona do a photo but neither of us takes a camera when we see each other so I dont think I actually own a photo of both of us
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    What about your favourite photo of the two of you, in a nice frame?

:hugs: How far?
    Two hours, not the longest I know but with him working full time and me doing 8-5:30 with about two hours travel time myself it's going to be hard. He says we'll be ok but I'm just so upset. I thought I'd be happy as it was the closest of all jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *hopefull*Vet2Be)
    I was gona do a photo but neither of us takes a camera when we see each other so I dont think I actually own a photo of both of us
    What about a cd with songs that remind you of him?

ReputationRep:
    Two hours, not the longest I know but with him working full time and me doing 8-5:30 with about two hours travel time myself it's going to be hard. He says we'll be ok but I'm just so upset. I thought I'd be happy as it was the closest of all jobs.
    I can understand why you're upset but, no worries.. it'll be fine! Hopefully, you'll be able to see each other at least once a month. =) Like I do with mine. And hopefully the year will be a breeze once you are used to it too - listen to your boyfriend when he says you're gonna be okay, I agree with him!

I know what you mean though. I have commitments at home, so I can't really go up to see him whenever I want and all sorts.. so then he has to see me mostly but, he has other things going on too. And that's before he's even gone to University and when I'm sadly currently jobless. -_- When he goes to Uni. and is busy with that and I've got a job + my other stuff.. I dunno if we'll have time but, I'm sure we will! These things always work out in the end.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    I can understand why you're upset but, no worries.. it'll be fine! Hopefully, you'll be able to see each other at least once a month. =) Like I do with mine. And hopefully the year will be a breeze once you are used to it too - listen to your boyfriend when he says you're gonna be okay, I agree with him!

I know what you mean though. I have commitments at home, so I can't really go up to see him whenever I want and all sorts.. so then he has to see me mostly but, he has other things going on too. And that's before he's even gone to University and when I'm sadly currently jobless. -_- When he goes to Uni. and is busy with that and I've got a job + my other stuff.. I dunno if we'll have time but, I'm sure we will! These things always work out in the end.
    Thanks *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    you'll be OK bestie! and we are always here if you ever want to chat
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Angelil)
    you'll be OK bestie! and we are always here if you ever want to chat
    Thanks. Just been told we're spending this weekend together

ReputationRep:
    Also posting to subscribe ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I'm in a LDR with somebody from Nottingham. I'm from the USA but I'll be studying in Cardiff in September.

Do any of you know if there is any sort of 'annual pass' or season ticket kind of thing for the trains? Even if it's restricted to travel between two locations?

I already have a railcard.

Thanks so much if anybody has any advice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thesisomer)
    Hi guys.

I'm in a LDR with somebody from Nottingham. I'm from the USA but I'll be studying in Cardiff in September.

Do any of you know if there is any sort of 'annual pass' or season ticket kind of thing for the trains? Even if it's restricted to travel between two locations?

I'm pretty sure you can. Ask at your local station or look on National Rail Enquiries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesisomer)
    Hi guys.

There is, but it's only worth is if your travelling everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    There is, but it's only worth is if your travelling everyday.
    I see. Yeah, I'll only be going once every two weeks or so (we'll be alternating on weekends).

I was told something about certain train companies offering to sell you multiples of a ticket at a slight discount, but it depends on which company is used for the specific journey.

I think I'll stick with my railcard.

Thank you

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.